• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Greystones Harbour development flooding fear

Lennon

The company behind the commercial development of Greystones Harbour are now concerned that their structures will be flooded by the sea before they have had a chance to sell them. With rising sea levels arising from Climate Change experts now believe that the elevation of the structures to be built is too low to protect them from rising sea levels. Potential investors to this development will need to take a very short term investment view of these structures.

Lennon said:
The company behind the commercial development of Greystones Harbour are now concerned that their structures will be flooded by the sea before they have had a chance to sell them. With rising sea levels arising from Climate Change experts now believe that the elevation of the structures to be built is too low to protect them from rising sea levels. Potential investors to this development will need to take a very short term investment view of these structures.
I heard that each apartment will be fitted with a life buoy!!!!

CookieMonster

How long to they expect to take to build to completion, 500 years?

Lennon

CookieMonster said:
How long to they expect to take to build to completion, 500 years?
I fail to see the significance of 500 years?

Experts already acknowledge that Climate Change induced rising sea levels is already accelerating. It is unwise in the light of this to build houses in flood prone areas and how much flood prone can you get than in the sea.

This is an interesting if not unexpected development.

I recall that the developers admitted at the oral hearing that the destruction of dwellings on the North Beach in the 1930s was not considered by the developers in their plans.

There is a real risk to any structures on the Greystones seafront especially considering the flooding history of the very sames Greystones North Beach area.

The OPW website www.floodmaps.ie details contemporaneous newspaper articles describing a tidal wave which destroyed a number of cottages along this same stretch of coast in the 1930’s. The planned new structures are proposed to be located on the sea bed in front of the site where these cottages were previously destroyed by the sea.

Investors foolish enough to buy any of these structures would seem to be running the risk of incurring flood losses with consequent negative equity.

This development is doomed to be destroyed by the sea. Avoid it like the plague is my advice.

The developer will build the harbour breakwaters and the apartments but will then find it difficult to sell them. With property prices still falling this could indeed be an expensive project for the shareholders of Park Developments and Sisks.

Lennon

The developer will build the harbour breakwaters and the apartments but will then find it difficult to sell them. With property prices still falling this could indeed be an expensive project for the shareholders of Park Developments and Sisks.
Wise words from the Accountant in 2007 foretelling of the bursting of the property bubble and the doomed development on Greystones Harbour. After spending €80 million Sispar is now completely devoid of funding and is seeking a dig out from NAMA to bail it out.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The new harbour is a monstrosity and completely out of keeping with the character of the town

EUrJokingMeRight

Is this what the economy and property nuts mean by 'all boats rise together'?

Tombo

I fail to see the significance of 500 years?

Experts already acknowledge that Climate Change induced rising sea levels is already accelerating. It is unwise in the light of this to build houses in flood prone areas and how much flood prone can you get than in the sea.
While the experts masturbate in their small isolated and communal groups, actual data suggests that the rise in mean sea levels THAT HAS BEEN OCCURRING FOR CENTURIES has in fact slowed and in any event is measured in MILLIMETRES PER DECADE.

Back ot the earlier post. How long do they anticipate completion of these "structures" to take?

eyelight

The new harbour is a monstrosity and completely out of keeping with the character of the town
Only saw this disaster when I was back home in April and climbed the Sugar Loaf. Couldn't figure out what the huge "thing" in Greystones was.
Should be torn down. But it never will be. Just left to ruin the area.

Tombo

To what extent is the current character of the town out of keeping with the character of the town as it was in the past?? Are you saying that dinosaurs roamed through the streets of Greystones as we know it today???

And once completed will this not, by definition, be an integral part of the "character of the town"?? An evolved character that shoutyleadery type forum commenters of the future can insist needs "defending"???

ShoutingIsLeadership

To what extent is the current character of the town out of keeping with the character of the town as it was in the past?? Are you saying that dinosaurs roamed through the streets of Greystones as we know it today???

And once completed will this not, by definition, be an integral part of the "character of the town"?? An evolved character that shoutyleadery type forum commenters of the future can insist needs "defending"???
The key word in your response is 'evolved', Tombo. This change was not evolutionary. The harbour jumped several stages of natural and logical development to become the monster I believe it now is. Many protested against this at the time, as they saw what it would become.

There's no doubt the harbour was rundown and in need of change, but this was not the next step in its change - in my opinion.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Only saw this disaster when I was back home in April and climbed the Sugar Loaf. Couldn't figure out what the huge "thing" in Greystones was.
Should be torn down. But it never will be. Just left to ruin the area.
It's so big it looks like somewhere a ferry could easily dock