Grocery prices coming down, Tesco still overcharging in half of all stores...

seabhac siulach

According to the quango to beat all quangos, the National Consumer Agency (NCA), food prices have dropped considerably during the first 6 months of the year. [And thank God we have a quango like the NCA to tell us things like this, earning their salaries one and all...]

Grocery prices survey July 2009

What is interesting is the information included on Tesco's apparent reluctance to lower its prices across all its stores, i.e., not just those near the border. Apparently, it is "Tesco's stated policy of adopting their new pricing model throughout the country by the end of August." . So no rush there (and no let up for consumers in the South of the country until then).

The report states:
"Approximately half of Tesco stores have not yet switched over to the new pricing policy, therefore consumers in a large proportion of the country cannot currently avail of the lower prices...
Interestingly, Tesco stores where it is not running its 'Change for Good' programme are now the most expensive."

So much for 'change for good'...the unchanging rip-off continues...

It is interesting also that Dunnes appears to be giving Tesco a run for its, eh, money, without introducing non-Irish branded lines. Of course, the NCA does not make any comment on this, nor on Tesco's use of non-Irish branded items in its Change For Good programme.

It would appear from this report, in any case, that further falls in consumer prices are likely, especially from August onwards when Tesco's Change For Good programme is eventually applied across the whole country. Until then, of course, Tesco can get another month of profit gouging from the good people of the south of Ireland...

Panopticon

People I speak to are beginning to realise that Tesco is overpriced compared to other supermarkets, hopefully this trend continues.

Old Irish

Right, thanks for the thread. I was just thinking of putting up a thread on this. I went to do a shop in one of the 'changed' prices Tesco a few weeks ago and only seen a difference in some things in fact some other items such as milk had actually gone up but I don't think that is down to Tesco but it could be. Anyway I did a shop in Bandbridge to compare and they are still cheaper. In fact do you know what annoyed me about the Tesco down here since the change was that the cheaper stuff was all English products. Why can't they bring down the prices on our own produce here? They had stuff like Cumberland sausage rolls. Alot of other English produce that I can't think of now but instead of the prices matching the English Tesco prices they just brought down aload of English produce. Don't figure

Panopticon

Right, thanks for the thread. I was just thinking of putting up a thread on this. I went to do a shop in one of the 'changed' prices Tesco a few weeks ago and only seen a difference in some things in fact some other items such as milk had actually gone up but I don't think that is down to Tesco but it could be. Anyway I did a shop in Bandbridge to compare and they are still cheaper. In fact do you know what annoyed me about the Tesco down here since the change was that the cheaper stuff was all English products. Why can't they bring down the prices on our own produce here? They had stuff like Cumberland sausage rolls. Alot of other English produce that I can't think of now but instead of the prices matching the English Tesco prices they just brought down aload of English produce. Don't figure
Farmers and suppliers are already complaining about being squeezed. UK farmers offer produce at a lower price.

james toney

Aldi says it will donate the money to SVP.Nice gesture.

corporal punishment

Aldi and Supervalu for me. When I'm in Supervalu, I scour the place for bogof deals. Recently scored toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant for less than half price.

Wouldn't venture near tesco's anymore.

Fractional Reserve

You say overcharging , is there price fixing by government or something ?Tesco's can charge wht they like in different shops , its up to the people to look around for value.
According to the quango to beat all quangos, the National Consumer Agency (NCA), food prices have dropped considerably during the first 6 months of the year. [And thank God we have a quango like the NCA to tell us things like this, earning their salaries one and all...]

Grocery prices survey July 2009

What is interesting is the information included on Tesco's apparent reluctance to lower its prices across all its stores, i.e., not just those near the border. Apparently, it is "Tesco's stated policy of adopting their new pricing model throughout the country by the end of August." . So no rush there (and no let up for consumers in the South of the country until then).

The report states:
"Approximately half of Tesco stores have not yet switched over to the new pricing policy, therefore consumers in a large proportion of the country cannot currently avail of the lower prices...
Interestingly, Tesco stores where it is not running its 'Change for Good' programme are now the most expensive."

So much for 'change for good'...the unchanging rip-off continues...

It is interesting also that Dunnes appears to be giving Tesco a run for its, eh, money, without introducing non-Irish branded lines. Of course, the NCA does not make any comment on this, nor on Tesco's use of non-Irish branded items in its Change For Good programme.

It would appear from this report, in any case, that further falls in consumer prices are likely, especially from August onwards when Tesco's Change For Good programme is eventually applied across the whole country. Until then, of course, Tesco can get another month of profit gouging from the good people of the south of Ireland...

Picasso Republic

Merely another indicator of our imploding society (almost globally).

The 'winner takes all' philosophy of the US and adopted by the UK has trickled down to the street, the philosophy where the corporate entity has become more important than the individual or society, the philosophy where everything is about increasing profits and nobody is satisfied with simple reasonable profits, the philosophy where suppliers and consumers will be squeezed more and more simply to increase an already high profit margin, where nothing is ploughed back into society or the community, where wages are driven down to unsustainable levels and where staff are simply cannon fodder who can be replaced with a visa application for an immigrant (not only Ireland - but in any country).

A recent study on Apple demonstrated that they could manufacture their products in the USA and still make a great profit - but no, the corporate monsters simply want more and more.

A world where TESCO taking hundreds of millions out of the Irish economy each year and simply posting the cash to the UK would be happy to see Irish farmers "out of work" (or British farmers for that matter) and simply find the cheapest supply source globally.

A world where local relationships dont matter anymore and where eventually our fake uniform groceries will come from China.

The Irish have grabbed this grenade willingly with both hands, have subscribed to the destruction of Irish Town Centres, the collapse of local businesses and then wonder why there is no work in Sligo or Tralee. But nobody has ever objected as the standard Irish excuse has been "I dont care once the price is right".

The Corporate World has robbed Ireland both visibly and invisibly, yet nobody raises a word and is quite happy to participate in the destruction of Irish society (and thats what it is) - this is happening throughout primarily the english speaking world at the moment.

Most reading this will not understand it - having a polarised "price of everything and value of nothing" mentality.

Schuhart

Picasso Republic

I'm sure you're right; certainly, Irish farmers won't know what you are bathering about:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/184919-nearly-10-all-irish-beef-exports-sold-tesco.html
Schuhart - crumbs from the table when measured in terms of the destruction caused to Ireland by this particular retail giant and they are merely filling previous orders.

The statistic would still be meaningless even if TESCO was purchasing 50% of Irish beef unless Irish beef production had doubled over the past 10-15 years and prices had at worst stayed flat.

As I said - there will always be unthinking defenders of the current situation and perhaps when you are old and grey you will suddenly realise what was happening.

Being a corporate junkie and following a business lifeplan, I too believed what we were seeing was progress, I scoffed at the anti-globalisation brigade, however more and more I believe they have a point.

Mad as Fish

Farmers and suppliers are already complaining about being squeezed. UK farmers offer produce at a lower price.
Err... UK farmers do not 'offer' anything to the supermarkets at a lower a price. Instead they are grabbed by the b*lls by said supermarkets and their scrotum is twisted all the way round until they virtually give the stuff away. Go out to the east where all the veg is grown and listen to the tales of illegal immigrants being paid peanuts to pick and pack the stuff and then wonder at how on earth milk can be produced for the few pennies that the farmers are granted by the big boys. Buying UK farm produce can be the next best thing to supporting slavery.

Analyzer

Mama Harney sez "shoparound".

....and if that means going to Florida, for a nail job, or Leitrim for an off-licence, then let not distance stop any of you.....

Analyzer

What's the story with Tesco and taxation ?

Ther is a documentary about tesco, that covers it in detail. Ever had a look at it ?

Shpake

The 'winner takes all' philosophy of the US and adopted by the UK has trickled down to the street, the philosophy where the corporate entity has become more important than the individual or society, the philosophy where everything is about increasing profits and nobody is satisfied with simple reasonable profits, the philosophy where suppliers and consumers will be squeezed more and more simply to increase an already high profit margin, where nothing is ploughed back into society or the community, where wages are driven down to unsustainable levels and where staff are simply cannon fodder who can be replaced with a visa application for an immigrant (not only Ireland - but in any country).

A recent study on Apple demonstrated that they could manufacture their products in the USA and still make a great profit - but no, the corporate monsters simply want more and more.

A world where TESCO taking hundreds of millions out of the Irish economy each year and simply posting the cash to the UK would be happy to see Irish farmers "out of work" (or British farmers for that matter) and simply find the cheapest supply source globally.

A world where local relationships dont matter anymore and where eventually our fake uniform groceries will come from China.

The Irish have grabbed this grenade willingly with both hands, have subscribed to the destruction of Irish Town Centres, the collapse of local businesses and then wonder why there is no work in Sligo or Tralee. But nobody has ever objected as the standard Irish excuse has been "I dont care once the price is right".

The Corporate World has robbed Ireland both visibly and invisibly, yet nobody raises a word and is quite happy to participate in the destruction of Irish society (and thats what it is) - this is happening throughout primarily the english speaking world at the moment.

Most reading this will not understand it - having a polarised "price of everything and value of nothing" mentality.
Sincerely written but think about it for a moment: Price is not a reliable metric to go on. I can sell you a bottle of wine at €8 or €12 (and this happens all the time) ... would you think the product was any better because you had to shell out four extra euro? There are psychological reasons for believing or wanting to believe you got something better. As for Irish products, I read an article about how many products that people believed were Irish turned out to be manufactured overseas... too far back to give you a link :(
As for visa applications, well in EU we can't prevent the other member states' citizens seeking work here... Romania and Bulgaria to join soon.
what took the biscuit was two years back when the financial crisis hit and I think the public service workers held some protest or strike over cuts to their pensions. The road to Newry was blocked by the lot of them going shopping in the North. Some reporter did a survey of the nr of southern registered cars in the parking lot. It was sensaational: plates from all the 26 counties well represented.

There was an interesting thread on this very topic about two weeks ago of how the out of town shopping centres have more favourable rates than the town centres to the detriment of the established firms, how internet shopping is having an impact. Worth looking up.

And So I Said

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies