Grotesque Portrait of Cowen added to National Gallery

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
via National Gallery hides art - Indymedia Ireland our very own banksy
Last Saturday a man added his own original artwork to the walls of the National Gallery's portrait collection. He placed his 'Portait of Brian Cowen' on the wall next to a work depicting Maeve Binchy. It hung for forty minutes, before being removed.​

Portrait of Biran Cowen, 2009, anonymours

The management proceeded to contact the Gardai. The officers photographed it, and it was subsequently consigned to temporary storage. The CCTV still frames of the man are currently displayed in both cloakrooms, as one would pin up images of dangerous criminals.

Accounts suggest that the wooden frame was expensive. The quality of the painting itself is high, and indicates that the painter is a full-time artist, and probably a trained one too.

Being a conservative institution, it is beyond the scope of this organisation to promote anti-establishment art. However this piece represents a step forward in the development of Irish art. By all rights, the work must be handed over to a commercial gallery, or to a private dealer before it is lost to history.
i saw this guys work at people's gallery on merrion square a few years ago, he does lots of full body grotesque portraits of politicians etc, anybody in the art world would probably know who he is.

Last edited:

EarlyBird

I didn't need to see Cowens tits. Thanks a lot, you ruined my day.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49

The_SR

The Gardaí were called why exactly?

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Obviously somebody reported a hole and the Gardaí were looking into it!

Gruffalo

unicorn

So Grotesque now means accurate. Oh how I love the transient nature of the English language.
Not a bad painting, though I doubt if Mr. Cowen strips to use the toilet. Maybe if the artist wasn't so bitter, he might have made it past Merrion Square by now.

Oh, we really need our own Banksy (now there's someone who's really full of sh***)

History Student

Great Art, nice Banksy style escapade, poor old Clown has the bog roll ready for when the ******************** hits the fan

spidermom

whatever happened to Sr Wendy?

liam1953

Cowen is the God's own double of Frank Carson. Except Carson was moderately funny. Carson isn't funny at all.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
This was covered in the Sunday Tribune yesterday

Cowen hung out to dry in National Gallery hijack
When the prank painting was spotted by security staff, they immediately took it down and brought it to the attention of gallery management. Gardaí from nearby Pearse Street station were called to the scene where they examined the portrait and CCTV footage.

Bemused officers told management, however, that it was unlikely the rogue artist had committed any type of criminal offence.

It later emerged that the mystery painter had hung a second nude portrait of Cowen holding only a pair of y-fronts in the nearby RHA Gallery on Saturday afternoon.
Here's the painting in situ in the National Gallery

Here's the detail of the National Gallery picture

Here's the RHA one :eek:

cYp

flavirostris

This was just on the news - absolutely hilarious!
An Art expert "estimated the value of the paintings at zero" !! What inspired this joker?
Cowen with a massive belly hanging out, casually holding up a pair of y-fronts..

draiocht23

This was just on the news - absolutely hilarious!
An Art expert "estimated the value of the paintings at zero" !! What inspired this joker?
Cowen with a massive belly hanging out, casually holding up a pair of y-fronts..
It's definitely my new preferred method of protest. Pity I can only manage stick men - sigh.

Hurrah for the mystery artist. Even Anne Doyle seemed to be having a laugh with it - "It is not thought the Taoiseach posed for the portraits..."

Titter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies