• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Growing row between Russia and Azerbaijan over Eurovision scoring.

theObserver@hotmail.com

Azerbaijan snubbed the Russian eurovision entry by not rewarding a single point and Russia is not happy. Now, I've heard half-serious grumbles over Ireland only receiving a single measly point from the UK but the Russian-Azerbaijan spat was taken up at the highest levels with strong language:-

Russia's foreign minister has called Azerbaijan's failure to award any points to Russia's entry in the Eurovision song contest "outrageous".

Sergei Lavrov said the points had been "stolen" from Russia's Dina Garipova and "this outrageous action will not remain without a response".

Azerbaijan says it cannot explain how it awarded no points to Russia, when Garipova came second in its phone poll.

Russian voters awarded the maximum 12 points to Azerbaijan's Farid Mammadov.

Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev has ordered an inquiry into how its votes for Russia apparently went missing.

And the country's Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov, sitting next to Mr Lavrov at a press conference in Moscow, called it a "detective story".
BBC News - Russia: Azerbaijan's Eurovision snub 'outrageous'

Personally I think the representatives of both countries should be slapped with a wet fish for taking the Eurovision so seriously.

Shqiptar

The Brits gave us only one point. I suggest we threaten them with a squadron of Jedwards.

Shqiptar

Anyway *serious expression*, this farce demonstrates:

(a) the subservient nature of Azerbaijan in the Russian-Azeri relationship
(b) that political discourse in Russia still has some errmmmmmm......developing to do.

Nemesiscorporation

Azerbaijan snubbed the Russian eurovision entry by not rewarding a single point and Russia is not happy. Now, I've heard half-serious grumbles over Ireland only receiving a single measly point from the UK but the Russian-Azerbaijan spat was taken up at the highest levels with strong language:-

BBC News - Russia: Azerbaijan's Eurovision snub 'outrageous'

Personally I think the representatives of both countries should be slapped with a wet fish for taking the Eurovision so seriously.
After Finland's Lordi won Eurovision in the only year that ordinary Europeans had 100% of the vote for the artiests, interference from politicians led to a 50/50 combination of both telephone vote and the votes of juries made up of so called music professionals, who are mostly washed up failed musicians.

That screwed up the voting. Apparently a lot of religious people took serious offence to the brilliant act that is Lordi, even though ordinary Europeans loved them.

[video=youtube;gAh9NRGNhUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU[/video]

There has been a simmering arguement about it in Scandinavia ever since the voting chance as a lot of people see it as anti-democratic.

The Swedish musicians who have 50% of the vote overturned the majority vote for another singer as he was deemed to be offensive to non-Swedes who would be considered homophobic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yohio#Melodifestivalen_2013
http://www.thelocal.se/46664/20130311/#.UZu2GJyja-Q

Last edited:

theObserver@hotmail.com

After Finland's Lordi won Eurovision, interference from politicians led to a 50/50 combination of both telephone vote and the votes of juries made up of so called music professionals, who are mostly washed up failed musicians.

That screwed up the voting. Apparently a lot of religious people took serious offence to the brilliant act that is Lordi, even though ordinary Europeans loved them.

There has been a simmering arguement about it in Scandinavia ever since the voting chance as a lot of people see it as anti-democratic.

The Swedish musicians who have 50% of the vote overturned the majority vote for another singer as he was deemed to be offensive to non-Swedes who would be considered homophobic.
Don't you just love europe? Can't even agree on how voting for a cheesy talent show should work.

Ren84

Russia has no right to be in the Eurovision Song Contest. It should be reformed to only allow EU members enter. In fact all cultural contests, such as Champions League, should be limited to democratic EU member states. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine have no business being associated with us.

Dame_Enda

You can't really blame them when you consider Russian support for the separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh - an ethnic Armenian enclave in Azerbaijan occupied by Armenian troops. In fact Armenia probably occupies 15% of Azerbaijan much of which has never had an Armenian majority, They couldn't have done this without Russian help covert or otherwise. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union Moscow has been actively supporting separatists in CIS states to provide a pretext for meddling there. Georgia and Moldova are other examples, and the occasional provocative comments on Crimea.

forest

@Nemesiscorporation
in fairness the scandies have little to complain about they are doing really really well

I think we should declare war on the UK
If we destroy Liverpool as a warning I am sure they will give us 12 points next year

eoghanacht

When I read the title I jokingly thought to myself lol another Eurovision thread.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

neiphin

Russia has no right to be in the Eurovision Song Contest. It should be reformed to only allow EU members enter. In fact all cultural contests, such as Champions League, should be limited to democratic EU member states. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine have no business being associated with us.
your a loon

forest

FYI Ireland is 40/1 to win next year

Shqiptar

After Finland's Lordi won Eurovision in the only year that ordinary Europeans had 100% of the vote for the artiests, interference from politicians led to a 50/50 combination of both telephone vote and the votes of juries made up of so called music professionals, who are mostly washed up failed musicians.

Yohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is the Melodifestivalen voting system flawed? - The Local
I thought the change in the voting system was to combat the regional blocs: the Scandinavian bloc, former Yugoslavia bloc, ex-Soviet bloc.....

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that some people would take the homophobic attitudes of other countries into consideration. It's wrong and unfair but that's politics.

Re this Russia and Azerbaijan spat (I'm still laughing), probably the public gave the Russians a high mark but the judges weren't impressed by the Russian song. I wouldn't like to be those judges. Azerbaijan is, after all, the country whose police brought in for interview Eurovision fans who a couple of years ago voted for Armenia.

Nemesiscorporation

I thought the change in the voting system was to combat the regional blocs: the Scandinavian bloc, former Yugoslavia bloc, ex-Soviet bloc.....

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that some people would take the homophobic attitudes of other countries into consideration. It's wrong and unfair but that's politics.

Re this Russia and Azerbaijan spat (I'm still laughing), probably the public gave the Russians a high mark but the judges weren't impressed by the Russian song. I wouldn't like to be those judges. Azerbaijan is, after all, the country whose police brought in for interview Eurovision fans who a couple of years ago voted for Armenia.
Politics should not have anything to do with Eurovision.

Also the vote should be 100% by the people voting, not behind the scenes failed musicians looking to feather there nests.

If someone has a homophobic attitude that is there problem. Personally I find Yohio's music annoying, but if he won the vote, then he should have been forward as the representative. The decision that was taken in Sweden was an undemocratic disgrace.

As for what happened to Russia. Once they changed the voting system after the Lordi win, they were warned that an incident like this would happen and it has.

On a personal note to you, regarding the homophobia. I am heterosexual, but if I was homosexual I would not in the slightest even try to be understanding of homophobia in any context. Neither should you.

Ren84

your a loon
Firstly, it's "you're". Secondly, why should authoritarian Russia, Belarus and Ukraine be part of our cultural and sporting competitions? Russia also meddles constantly in the internal affairs of the EU, not to mention its deliberately provocative rhetoric and behaviour directed towards us. Russia is the greatest threat to Europe, make no mistake about it. Time we started getting tough with the scumbags. Expelling them from the European Broadcast Union, the Song Contest organiser, would send a powerful signal to the Ruskies.

Shqiptar

Politics should not have anything to do with Eurovision.

Also the vote should be 100% by the people voting, not behind the scenes failed musicians looking to feather there nests.

If someone has a homophobic attitude that is there problem. Personally I find Yohio's music annoying, but if he won the vote, then he should have been forward as the representative. The decision that was taken in Sweden was an undemocratic disgrace.

As for what happened to Russia. Once they changed the voting system after the Lordi win, they were warned that an incident like this would happen and it has.

On a personal note to you, regarding the homophobia. I am heterosexual, but if I was homosexual I would not in the slightest even try to be understanding of homophobia in any context. Neither should you.
I said it doesn't surprise me. That's not ""understanding" in the sense you mean: it's a weary comment that when politics come in the door, principles go out the window. I also said it's wrong and unfair.

theObserver@hotmail.com

It's the Eurovision !

The OD

Anything which p*sses off a Putin dominated Russia is to be applauded.

Ren84

It's the Eurovision !

Indeed. Would someone inform Sergey Lavrov of this so? Because if they keep their aggressive behaviour up then they should be expelled from the EBU until they've learnt some manners. Threatening other nations over a bloody talent comp is simply not how modern, 21st century nations behave. Time for Russia to stop with the rank stupidity and grew up.