• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Guantanamo Bay

Ulster-Lad

President Elect Obama wants to close Guantanamo, President Bush wants to close Guantanamo. Everyone wants to close the prison there but the question is what is to be done with the people that are there now?

Their home countries do not want them returned there or they will face execution, torture, or other atrocities if returned to their home countries.

My question is simple; what should be done with them? Should they be divided up and sent to friendlier European countries such as Ireland? The precedent has been set on this with the Palestinians from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

Closing Guantanamo prison may be the easy part for Obama - Los Angeles Times

Risteard

The Yanks are to blame for them facing problems at home, having falsely accused them all of acts. The abductors such as Bush must pay for their crimes.

blucey

The Yanks are to blame for them facing problems at home, having falsely accused them all of acts. The abductors such as Bush must pay for their crimes.
sh*te as usual from the RA....

Risteard

From who, BodyofEvidence?

Rocky

President Elect Obama wants to close Guantanamo, President Bush wants to close Guantanamo. Everyone wants to close the prison there but the question is what is to be done with the people that are there now?

Their home countries do not want them returned there or they will face execution, torture, or other atrocities if returned to their home countries.

My question is simple; what should be done with them? Should they be divided up and sent to friendlier European countries such as Ireland? The precedent has been set on this with the Palestinians from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

Closing Guantanamo prison may be the easy part for Obama - Los Angeles Times
It is a very difficult one. Technically I guess a lot of them are refugees and therefore should be treated like that.

Naturally a lot of people in Guantanamo are dangerous terrorists as well and they will need to be re-located to other prisons, so that is an issue as well.

Risteard

No they are not, Rocky. They are innocent men as they have not been convicted by any legitimate court of anything illegal (or by any illegitimate court either, for that matter).

corelli

It is a very difficult one. Technically I guess a lot of them are refugees and therefore should be treated like that.

Naturally a lot of people in Guantanamo are dangerous terrorists as well and they will need to be re-located to other prisons, so that is an issue as well.

Who, and do please name names, are the dangerous terrorists being held there?

When released I hope the sue the absolute ass of the US Government.

Rocky

Who, and do please name names, are the dangerous terrorists being held there?

When released I hope the sue the absolute ass of the US Government.
How would I know?

I think the odds of every single person there being innocent is very low. They didn't just randomly decide to build this controversial prison and fell it up with random people.

corelli

How would I know?

I think the odds of every single person there being innocent is very low. They didn't just randomly decide to build this controversial prison and fell it up with random people.

Well if you don't even know who they are holding you might refrain from terming them "dangerous terrorists". In view of the fact that Obama is committed to closing it down, and since election has full access to all classified information, I think we could construe that as evidence of their lack of threat.

Face facts, in the 6 plus years it has been open they have had to introduce military courts with rules of evidence massively weighted against them, including allowing torture, in order to process them. To what avail? How many "convictions"?

It is an absolute farce in terms of any kind of justice being meted out.

cHeal

They convicted Osama's chauffeur didn't they :D

They should be processed through the American Courts and if aquitted, set free.

Rocky

Well if you don't even know who they are holding you might refrain from terming them "dangerous terrorists". In view of the fact that Obama is committed to closing it down, and since election has full access to all classified information, I think we could construe that as evidence of their lack of threat.

Face facts, in the 6 plus years it has been open they have had to introduce military courts with rules of evidence massively weighted against them, including allowing torture, in order to process them. To what avail? How many "convictions"?

It is an absolute farce in terms of any kind of justice being meted out.
Obama isn't committed to releasing every single person there though. A lot of them will and should face trails and should and hopefully will be convicted.

corelli

There is not even enough admissible evidence to place before a grand jury in the US, not to mind try them. A complete farce.

Convicting Osama's driver was somewhat like the Allies putting Hitlers driver on trial at Nuremberg. At least the Allies had the good sense not to perform that travesty.

Ulster-Lad

Set free where though? That is my question.

corelli

Set free where though? That is my question.
Well, technically, they could claim asylum anywhere they wanted. Well in any country which is a party to the Refugee Convention.

cHeal

In the US. No question, they were brought onto American soil without their permission, they are innocent of any crime (including illegal entry) thus they must be set free, literally onto the street, just let them wlak out the door, I don't see what else can be done, the state has no right to hold them.

Risteard

Risteard

Then why did you say that?

Rocky

Then why did you say that?
I meant that people who are guilty should face trail and be convicted. A big fear in this area and part of the reason why the US didn't try them in the first place is that they will be let off due to a lack of evidence.

Risteard

Then they shouldn't have been abducted - something which is always illegal.