Guardian documentary on Irish mixed race child abuse victims

Old Mr Grouser

I suppose you could say it's progress that we've moved on from in-your-face to casual racism for the most part but there's still a long way to go ...
It's on YouTube.

[video=youtube;OC_CpnwZPYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_CpnwZPYM[/video]

GDPR

Very affecting. I had great admiration for the interviewees who seemed remarkably strong, grounded people - I suppose they would have to be in order to have taken part. I note the religious order refused to exercise their right to reply. Still in denial.

Extraordinarily cruel society of the period. What made it worse is that there was no impetus to reform because the State had abdicated responsibility. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old Mr Grouser

Very affecting. I had great admiration for the interviewees who seemed remarkably strong, grounded people - I suppose they would have to be in order to have taken part. I note the religious order refused to exercise their right to reply. Still in denial.

Extraordinarily cruel society of the period. What made it worse is that there was no impetus to reform because the State had abdicated responsibility. Out of sight, out of mind.
And if that's what happened in Ireland then you have to wonder what went on in the mission-fields.

In Canada and Australia Government Inquiries have exposed terrible things that went on in the Religious institutions caring for non-European children.

Some time soon there'll be lawyers flying out to Southern Africa.

GDPR

And if that's what happened in Ireland then you have to wonder what went on in the mission-fields.

In Canada and Australia Government Inquiries have exposed terrible things that went on in the Religious institutions caring for non-European children.

Some time soon there'll be lawyers flying out to Southern Africa.
I think a key point in the doc was that the nuns were living in luxury (relatively speaking, obviously) while the children were treated like cattle. You really do need a vocation to work with children, and a high number of secular plebs actually have it - parental types, or teachers etc. But these nuns had just gone into the business willy-nilly and I doubt they were cut out for it at all. That doesnt excuse them - it just underlies the fact that their motivations were all wrong.

silverharp

It's on YouTube.

[video=youtube;OC_CpnwZPYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_CpnwZPYM[/video]
is it part of a bigger doc? did they not film the lady meeting her foster dad?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies