• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Guardian liberals doing their best to make Ireland look backward and oppressive

Honecker

ruserious

I'm suspicious of all those who go to those efforts no matter what side they are fighting on.

Half Nelson

Pro-choice are still using and abusing the tragedy of SH, even after the inquest

Have they no shame?

Frank Galton

The outside interest in the next few weeks is going to be intense ... we ain't seen nothin' yet from the Yank pro-lifers either ...

devoutcapitalist

social iberalism has failed in the uk, the 2011 riots in england is a direct result of the socially liberal policies that have been implemented in britain in the last 50 years. Then again the guardian is an ultra left wing that is all about rights and no responsibilities.

Tea Party Patriot

What else would you expect from the Guardian, no one in the UK takes it seriously either, it is the left-wing version of Fox News.

Analyzer

The Guardian are only pro-choice on a few issues.

Most of the time the Guardian endorses a big wasteful corrupt institutional state making the decisions for you.

Highly hypocritical.

Congalltee

I can't see anything inaccurate in the article. Nor do I see why pro-choice campaigners are distributing information in the Internet age. Nor would I be outraged if any of them are prosecuted for breaking the law. I would have some sympathy for any woman who listens to them and undertakes an illegal abortion in the state by taking an abortion pill (the group are certainly not doing them no favours if their access to counseling is inhibited in any way for fear of prosecution).

Last edited:

Tea Party Patriot

I can't see anything inaccurate in the article. Nor do I see why pro-choice campaigners are distributing information in the Internet age. Nor would I be outraged if any of them are prosecuted for breaking the law. I would have some sympathy for any woman who listens to them and undertakes an illegal abortion in the state by taking an abortion pill (the group are certainly not doing them favours if their access to counseling is inhibited in any way for fear of prosecution).
They are looking for attention, and the Guardian has only too willingly given it to them for one of its pet causes, they are basically issuing a challenge to the government to gaol them and hoping they pick up a few "martyrs" for their cause. Blatantly obvious political Machiavellian thinking which is too obvious to be in any way effective.

J

Johnny Boy

Last edited:

TheWexfordInn

Cant believe that its a crime to give out information, sounds like something you'd see in North Korea.

Congalltee

Cant believe that its a crime to give out information, sounds like something you'd see in North Korea.
Giving out information as a crime? Like wikileaks, official secrets act, cabinet confidentially, breaching the in camera rule, certain Nama sections, whereabouts of witnesses in protection programs, contents of budgets, private data.

Abortions, outside the terms of X, are illegal in the State. It would follow that providing information to assist someone commit an offence in the State would also be an offence (eg If a person was handing out information on how to assist commit suicide to students doing their leaving cert, should that not be offence? Or handing out information about the habitual movements of a person to a hit man?)

Malbekh

We should ban this blasphemous rag from our news-stands. How dare they interfere with the politics of the State and our morally righteous stance on the protection of the unborn. Down with this kind of thing I say.

Fra_south_Derry

Can anyone point out any substantially untrue sentence in that Guardian article? The legislation is a disgrace. Ireland is a backward country run by superstitious morons. The article's author, Henry McDonald, a fellow Irishman, has every right to point out the truth.

Meanwhile the morons take their morality from this wretched excuse for a human being.

Cardinal says politicians have an
That be Henry McDonald the sticky supporter who tells that many lies he doesn't know when he is telling the truth. He is the Guardian version of Paul Williams.

TheWexfordInn

Or handing out information about the habitual movements of a person to a hit man?)
Don't think its a clear analogy. We are not talking about people assisting others "commiting an offence in the state" as you put it. By all means prosecute people handing out flyers for illegal backstreet abortionists within Ireland, but people handing out directions to legitimate legal medical facilities in the UK? Guess we will have to agree to disagree on it but it sounds arseways to me.

M

MrFunkyZombaloo

Down with censorship. It is the oppression the OP is looking for.

This information is already in the public domain - via the internet. Having a law against distributing such information would be the backwardness.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The luvvies at the Guardian are claiming Ireland is going to lock women up for 14 years for campaigning on abortion. Is there any truth to this? It seems the Guardian have been talking to "pro-choice" groups in Ireland and no one else. What a disgracefully one sided piece.

Ireland's pro-choice activists risk prison with mass leafleting campaign | World news | The Guardian
While it's obvious that the Guardian will slant their article to make a point in line with their usual lefty positions, the underlying issue has to be addressed - if a claim that is stated in the article is true then it isn't a case of the Guardian trying to make the ROI look backward and oppressive, because it is a fact that the ROI chose to have legislation that contains a penalty of up to 14 years.

There's no point shooting the messenger if the message is absolutely accurate.

The claim is this:
"Disseminating information on how to buy early abortion pills is illegal in the Republic and under the new legislation those helping to procure an illicit termination risk being jailed for up to 14 years."

The issue is whether this is true or not.

I take it that the words "backward and oppressive" are how you choose to describe legislation that contains a penalty of up to 14 years. The Guardian didn't mention those words. So are you arguing that the Guardian's claim about the legisaltion is wrong?

Congalltee

Don't think its a clear analogy. We are not talking about people assisting others "commiting an offence in the state" as you put it. By all means prosecute people handing out flyers for illegal backstreet abortionists within Ireland, but people handing out directions to legitimate legal medical facilities in the UK? Guess we will have to agree to disagree on it but it sounds arseways to me.
They are targeting cafes, pubs, clubs, gym changing rooms and public toilets with thousands of leaflets giving contact details for British abortion clinics as well as the price of terminations. The literature includes a website where Irish women can buy early abortion pills (effective up to nine weeks of pregnancy) online via [named website]

Information about abortion abroad may be made available by doctors, by specific agencies or by individual counsellors. The rules apply to all providers of information but a distinction is made between information that is provided for the general public and information that is made available directly to a pregnant woman by a doctor or an advisory service.
Abortion information - the law