Guildford pub bombings

Dame_Enda

Typical cloak and dagger stuff from the Brits. They still havent handed over files on the Dublin-Monaghan bombings.

I think both those who were wrongly convicted (the Guildford Four who were later exonerated and released many years later), and the victims deserve the truth. My suspicion is that the Brits knowinglythe Guildford Four up, or are trying to cover up for those who did.

Golah veNekhar

I trust the usuals have spotted this. Yes: there are good reasons to suppress names in interest of personal privacy. But does it also suggest a 'cover-up'?

Am I entitled to raise an eyebrow in suspicion? Or is my paranoia advancing with age?
A certain amount of paranoia, at least if disciplined and restrained by an intellect used to the rigors of discipline, is extremely often a very healthy thing indeed.

Interesting that you should hint that your paranoia is advancing with age- I have found that mine has decreased with time.

Rural

Cover up I think, but not to protect the perpetrators of this heinous crime, but to cover up the incompetence of the Police at the time.

That's my thruppence worth. We'll never know however.

Levellers

It was clear from the start that this investigation was deeply flawed and corrupt.

After a long period of beating Gerry Conlon gave the names of his aunt and uncle, members of the Conservative Party, and who became part of the Maguire Seven. Pressed further he named the entire football team he played in and consisting of young Irish lads living in London. Many of them were charged with murder only to be released in the next few weeks.

Golah veNekhar

It is pretty likely that the UK State was trying to protect people within the Republican Movement- whether actual agents or people judged to be "doves" by their framing of the Guildford Four, and again by this.

rainmaker

Administrator
It is pretty likely that the UK State was trying to protect people within the Republican Movement- whether actual agents or people judged to be "doves" by their framing of the Guildford Four, and again by this.
I doubt that was the motive. It was corrupt scapegoating and looking for a quick arrest and conviction to reassure the public that was to blame.

rainmaker

Administrator
I trust the usuals have spotted this. Yes: there are good reasons to suppress names in interest of personal privacy. But does it also suggest a 'cover-up'?

Am I entitled to raise an eyebrow in suspicion? Or is my paranoia advancing with age?
The suppression of names is to protect sources & former informants.

Most of whom would be still be in grave danger of losing their lives were their identities ever to become known, or obvious to those in the know.

Strawberry

I doubt that was the motive. It was corrupt scapegoating and looking for a quick arrest and conviction to reassure the public that was to blame.
I agree with this when it comes to the Guildford four. The Birmingham Six case is murkier, there does seem to be evidence that one of the cell who carried out those bombings was an informant, which opens up the appalling possibility that someone in authority allowed those bombings to go ahead for nefarious reasons of their own.

michael-mcivor

I seen the photos of the 5 Guilford pub dead today- to be honest it was the first time I noticed their pictures- before I switched of when I heard it was a Brit army bar and four of the dead were brit army- but its hard to get away from the fact that your enemy your invader is still human-

rainmaker

Administrator
I agree with this when it comes to the Guildford four. The Birmingham Six case is murkier, there does seem to be evidence that one of the cell who carried out those bombings was an informant, which opens up the appalling possibility that someone in authority allowed those bombings to go ahead for nefarious reasons of their own.
Yes, I have heard those rumours, but I find them sketchy at best. An unsubstanciated, overheard conversation from a never identified source that Birmingham was to be bombed.

The most telling aspect is that the PIRA themselves have never claimed this. In fact to be fair, they have since admitted that their warnings were late, vague and confusing.

Sweet Darling

Yes, I have heard those rumours, but I find them sketchy at best. An unsubstanciated, overheard conversation from a never identified source that Birmingham was to be bombed.

The most telling aspect is that the PIRA themselves have never claimed this. In fact to be fair, they have since admitted that their warnings were late, vague and confusing.
Of all the atrocities committed against the Irish by the PSF/RA, the Birmingham pub bombings is the worst. The terrorist knew before hand they were about to unleash a total shit storm of a backlash against the Irish in Britain.

Dearghoul

Whatever the high politics of it, the British people showed restraint.
As recently as then they were a steadfast nation.

parentheses

Quite a lot of Irishpeople returned from England in the 70s. It must have been difficult for many Irish over there at that time.

Schmetterling

No nothing on an organized large scale but lots of small nasty incidents. For us it started with neighbours and people we thought were friends refusing to have anything to do with us. My father was told to take his murdering Irish arse out of the newsagents where he had bought his Irish newspapers for years. We had a letter saying our house would be burned to the ground if we didn't leave the country and a couple more containing unknown powdered substances. The house burning threat was frightening but it was the people we thought we knew that really hurt us.

New Threads

Most Replies