Gun Control

LordJagged

In light of yet another incident from The States: Do guns kill people or do people kill people?

BTW, Bre in 'Desperate Housewives' likes Lugers, how feckin' sexy is that? :shock:

Jim84

If people didn't have guns they wouldn't be able to shoot anyone

Jim84

Yeah! but a gun is designed to kill, where a car is a mode of transport.

And it's hard to get a driving licence for a car than it is to buy a gun is some US States.

Rocky

They could still stab or beat someone to death. Guns don't kill people, however they do make it easier for people to kill people.

LordJagged

Practicaly every male of service age in Switzerland has an assault weapon in their household, the country is ready to mobilise in 36 hours [or something crazy like that]. However hardly any 'gun' crime in Switzerland.

Canada has a high rate of gun ownership, but nothing like the same level of gun crime as the States [Mr. Moore, take a rarely deserved bow].

So do people kill people or do guns kill people?

Should firearm access be controlled to certain people, and if so which people?

We have very strict gun control in this country, has it prevented crimes involving firearms?

Jim84

Is someone was intent on committing a murder it would be hard to prevent it. But why should it be made easier on them.

But America's Gun Control policy is a joke ... some places there isn't even a background check.

With a gun it is just point and pull and pull the trigger. Find very few multiple murders with a knife but when a gun is involved you do, and a lot of the time the intended target isn't the own one killed.

LordJagged

I suppose I am wondering why the problem seems to be particularly acute in the US compared to other countries in 'The West'. Is it purely down to ease of access?

Pidge

Why not just keep the Irish system the way it is and fully enforce the strict "no handguns" law we have now. Makes sense and for the most part, works.

stringjack

LordJagged said:
I suppose I am wondering why the problem seems to be particularly acute in the US compared to other countries in 'The West'. Is it purely down to ease of access?
Possibly also something to do with the decentralized nature of law-enforcement?

LordJagged

Do you mean local law enforcement? I would think FBI, DEA etc are pretty centralised. But yes, different laws at county level may be a contributory factor.

Conor

LordJagged said:
Practicaly every male of service age in Switzerland has an assault weapon in their household, the country is ready to mobilise in 36 hours [or something crazy like that]. However hardly any 'gun' crime in Switzerland.
They all have assault rifles, but they have much tighter restrictions than the US. From some guy here:
Switzerland keeps only a small standing army, and relies much more heavily on its militia system for national defense. This means that most able-bodied civilian men of military age keep weapons at home in case of a national emergency. These weapons are fully automatic, military assault rifles, and by law they must be kept locked up. Their issue of 72 rounds of ammunition must be sealed, and it is strictly accounted for. This complicates their use for criminal purposes, in that they are difficult to conceal, and their use will be eventually discovered by the authorities.
Is it purely down to ease of access?
I think that'd have to be a factor, particularly the type of guns accessible. Widespread handgun ownership, for example, could easily result in increased handgun use in crime. The Swiss experience would appear to bear this out; according to that link above, Switzerland has the second highest rates of both handgun ownership and handgun murder in the world.

I'm inclined to agree with Pidge, it's hard to think of any compelling reasons for liberalising the existing gun laws in this country. However, I've heard a rumour that anyone whose handgun was confiscated when they were banned has now been allowed reclaim them (all done on the hush-hush so as not to get anyone's backs up). Whether this is true or not, I don't know, nor whether it means that handguns are effectively legal now. If it's true, I don't think it's a welcome move.

Brie in Desperate Housewives is the most bet down of the lot of them with or without a luger, IMHO.

GusherING

In Switzerland there are actually more guns than people!?!?! What bemuses me the most about the USA is the fact that I, a person under 21 (although not for much longer!) am unable to consume alcohol, yet am able to enter a gunsmiths and buy myself a weapon of mass destruction, ranging from a good old 9mm to the 'why would anyone need one apart from killing dozens of people in a room in seconds' AK47! Lunacy, I'm sure you'll agree is the reasoning (if lunacy even is reason?) behind America's Gun Laws. Thank God I don't live there.

stringjack

GusherING said:
In Switzerland there are actually more guns than people!?!?! What bemuses me the most about the USA is the fact that I, a person under 21 (although not for much longer!) am unable to consume alcohol, yet am able to enter a gunsmiths and buy myself a weapon of mass destruction, ranging from a good old 9mm to the 'why would anyone need one apart from killing dozens of people in a room in seconds' AK47! Lunacy, I'm sure you'll agree is the reasoning (if lunacy even is reason?) behind America's Gun Laws. Thank God I don't live there.
Well... also their drinking laws, to be fair.

watch-this-drive

However hardly any 'gun' crime in Switzerland.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 539769.stm

Swiss shooting rampage - there have also been have been high profile shootings in Germany and Scotland.

I do think US gun culture is dreadful, Id be interested in seeing the deaths on a per capita basis.
The recent shooting was on an Indian reservation - somewhat autonomous anyway - and the boy took his Grandfathers (Policeman) gun

It was not a typical case but there many.

david

LordJagged said:
The admirable Mr Moore you recently mentioned used his Bowling for Columbine to demonstrate that the problem is largely unexplainable. He explored the gun culture and could not present a 'single reason' for the way Americans love killing other humans.

It's ingenuous to expect a 'single reason' but unfortunately that's what most people want, so they can ban or control that reason. Americans, like all human beings, are complex personalities and in their case includes in this mix this incentive to murder. There are multiple reasons but one factor that seemed to come through was the 'fear' factor, used time and time again in advertising to get people to buy a product.

Maybe this fear factor which appears in advertising and the fact that Americans wallow in advertising is connected with their fear of other humans.

watch-this-drive said:
I do think US gun culture is dreadful, Id be interested in seeing the deaths on a per capita basis.
Based on the figures quoted in the film, I recall trying, largely unsuccessfully, to work out in my head rough per capita figures. The only ones I can remember offhand are the figures of 11,127 people killed by handguns in the US one year, making it one in 2,700.

In England 62, making it one in just under a million. I'm sorry if that's wrong and I'll be happy to be corrected and enlightened.

Scary alright.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies