Gunman standoff in Waterford...

Simon.D

Apparently going on since around 6pm, where a guy with a handgun has holed himself up above a shop on O'Connell street in the city centre..

Anyone know what's going on?

eoghanacht

That kind of conflicts with your sig...

Hope it's resolved quickly and peacefully with no injury or worse. Times like these you'd have to take your hat off to members of the Guards who are armed and having to deal with a life or death situation like this all for a pay packet and a sense of duty.

jcdf

A shoot out? They are always fun on the screen or TV. Never seen one in real life. I would imagine it must be great crac.

Twin Towers

Someone put this vid up but hard to make sense of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LirNwAIZ9E"]YouTube - ‪Waterford spacer with gun in hand threatening to jump off balcony‬‏[/ame]

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
This is very near where I grew up.

It is an area now dominated by section 23 apartments that never should have been built.

A true ghetto in the making.

If im correct that roof he is standing on is meant to be leaking into most of the apartments below.

jcdf

Reports on boards.ie that he jumped. RIP.
I thought he might have tried death by cop. So he could go out like a real man. That was popular in the USA for a while I think.

This is very near where I grew up.

It is an area now dominated by section 23 apartments that never should have been built.

A true ghetto in the making.

If im correct that roof he is standing on is meant to be leaking into most of the apartments below.
This is great parts of Dublin are becoming like the bronx with gun shootouts and police chases. RTE will be able to acquire plenty of new material for cop shows. :)

yellowfish

I thought he might have tried death by cop. So he could go out like a real man. That was popular in the USA for a while I think.

This is great parts of Dublin are becoming like the bronx with gun shootouts and police chases. RTE will be able to acquire plenty of new material for cop shows. :)
Seriously, you have just been told the man is probably dead. He was obviously distressed whatever the cause.
The Internet realy does cheapen some people.

Berty

Seriously, you have just been told the man is probably dead. He was obviously distressed whatever the cause.
Is there any source?

likesfish

A shoot out? They are always fun on the screen or TV. Never seen one in real life. I would imagine it must be great crac.
depends if your the one dishing it out.
on the recieving end not so much
get a ticket to libya you could find out

pinemartin

No, just a report from another poster that it is reported on Boards, hence the might bit.
I would hope obviously its not the case and that all ends well. one has to salute the guards, lets hope if its still ongoing the gun is fake.
why salute the guards if you have no information on what happened? they are not really know for their ability to manage these types of situations. just look at abbeylara.

yellowfish

why salute the guards if you have no information on what happened? they are not really know for their ability to manage these types of situations. just look at abbeylara.
I salute people who go towards danger to help others and protect the public, sometimes things go wrong sometimes mistakes are made (I dont know about the case you mention) But i salute the intent and for the majority the sense of public duty that puts them there in the 1st place, same for fireman, RNLI etc.

pinemartin

I salute people who go towards danger to help others and protect the public, sometimes things go wrong sometimes mistakes are made (I dont know about the case you mention) But i salute the intent and for the majority the sense of public duty that puts them there in the 1st place, same for fireman, RNLI etc.
maybe you should check out the abbeylara case. the guards seemed not able to react properly to the situation. their actions added to the danger.

jcdf

I was making the point that when something happens on the internet, it becomes striped of its reality. It is no long a real event just a bunch of pixels on a screen. Like a TV show or movie only a badly acted one. Which is strange since it is real! There is no humanity on the internet just stuff that happens. As you suggested about Libya, you actually have to be there otherwise they just become statistics or less than statistics.

yellowfish

I was making the point that when something happens on the internet, it becomes striped of its reality. It is no long a real event just a bunch of pixels on a screen. Like a TV show or movie only a badly acted one. Which is strange since it is real! There is no humanity on the internet just stuff that happens. As you suggested about Libya, you actually have to be there otherwise they just become statistics or less than statistics.
That was not my suggestion, of course we become desensitised to an extent, but not to the level you are suggesting. It is quite possible that after tonight i will never give a thought to this man again, but that does not mean i do not know how to react or that if I have a reaction it would be anything other than sadness, no matter how dilute by unfamiliarity or overexposure of other sad events, I would not experience excitement or the desire to see more. We retain are humanity no matter how course we may become otherwise we are a generation of sociopaths, and that is not the case.

artfoley56

maybe you should check out the abbeylara case. the guards seemed not able to react properly to the situation. their actions added to the danger.
i think youll find there actions stopped any danger to the general populace

johnnyvega86

Sorry? John Carty was a crazed nutjob armed with a shotgun which he had fired repeatedly at Gardai out his kitchen window. He walked out of the house brandishing it and refused to put it down when he was told to.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom