G'wan the Joe Higgins!

myhonorisloyalty666

How does Joe expect to pay for social welfare, pensions, farmers, education, the health service and everything else?

Berty

Yes, it really shows what the EU is really about; like giving permission to punish the poor for the ECB not objecting to the reckless conduct of the Irish banks. The whole thing is disgusting.

Illustro

We don't need to borrow to run our own sovereign country. Any country is entitled to have a state bank that issues debt free currency. We absolutely do not need to engage in usuary from private firms to run our own country. rejecting the bailout means protecting the people.

Also, the bailouts will pay bondholders, it's not a bailout for the sovereign people of Ireland

Skinner

Assuming it is the case that private speculators and private banks have and are continuing to be the problem, surely the man is correct to ask this question?

And was there a coherent reply to this very basic and fundamentally important question?

How the country gets its finances is another matter entirely.

G'wan Joe :)

vanla sighs

Joe Higgins always tells it like it is. If I was in Dublin (Dublin West I think?) he'd be getting my first preference.

Fir Bolg

How does Joe expect to pay for social welfare, pensions, farmers, education, the health service and everything else?
By balancing our books and letting private banks fail. Not by increasing our debt and taxing the Irish citizen to pay for the reckless lending of French, German and British banks.

sparkey321

We don't need to borrow to run our own sovereign country. Any country is entitled to have a state bank that issues debt free currency. We absolutely do not need to engage in usuary from private firms to run our own country. rejecting the bailout means protecting the people.

Also, the bailouts will pay bondholders, it's not a bailout for the sovereign people of Ireland

So the government should just be able to print as much money as it needs ?

So it wants to hire say 10 more nurses just print out a couple of hundred thousand to pay their wages ?

Why bother with taxes at all so ?

Own Arris

Glad I voted for him, the nay sayers at the time thought he would do nothing in Europe.

Skinner

So it wants to hire say 10 more nurses just print out a couple of hundred thousand to pay their wages ?
As opposed to having our partners in the ECB print out hunderds of thousands of millions of Euro and use us as a proxy to hand them over to a tiny number of private speculators and bankers who made terrible decisions that went very wrong and now expect to have to take zero responsibility for their decisions?

I'd say we need our own printing facilities with Joe supervising it right away.

corelli

Yes, it really shows what the EU is really about; like giving permission to punish the poor for the ECB not objecting to the reckless conduct of the Irish banks. The whole thing is disgusting.
In fairness, our budget deficit is NOT related to the banks, however unpalatable that may sound. The bailout did not come from current expenditure. We borrowed it. We simply do not gather enough money, in taxation etc, to pay for social welfare etc etc.

Illustro

Why bother with taxes at all so ?
That power to create and destroy money that you mock currently lies in private hands. It's better for sovereign nations if the people control it. We have no ability to control the quantity of exchange medium in our own countries. That's what creates the manufactured credit cycle of boom and depression.

The debt free money system is the system that built the Roman and British empires. Taxes are very low as you can imagine in this system. Wealth and employment is very high.

People are generally unaware that huge amounts of their taxes pay a national debt. A national debt that shouldn't exist. It exists because the people with the power to create money, create 1 unit of debt for every unit of supply that they create. The national debt at best can only always be equal to supply.

Budget deficits would be eliminated. We would not to to produce the begging bowl for private financiers.

It's also worth noting that this system of the people creating and being in charge of their own money was championed and brought in by JFK shortly before he was assassinated.

JFK tried to create a new debt free currency (almost certainly the reason for his death) On June 4, 1963, a virtually unknown Presidential decree, Executive Order -11110, was signed (and still stands) with the authority to basically strip the Federal Reserve Bank of its power to loan money to the United States Federal Government at interest. As soon as he was killed the money that he had created was immediately taken out of circulation.

Here's a quote from 10 days before his death:

"The high office of the President has been used to foment a plot to
destroy the Americans freedom and before I leave office I must inform the Citizen of his plight."

Last edited:

Berty

In fairness, our budget deficit is NOT related to the banks, however unpalatable that may sound. The bailout did not come from current expenditure. We borrowed it. We simply do not gather enough money, in taxation etc, to pay for social welfare etc etc.
I agree, but I think the sovereign debt and the banks debt has been blurred somewhat and that going forward we will have to make up the shortfall for the banks' debt too.

dent

I'd say there are plenty of mandarins in the EU praying for a GE now, so that they can say goodbye to Joe ! I think some of his politics are too simplistic but I completely admire his principles.

corelli

I agree, but I think the sovereign debt and the banks debt has been blurred somewhat and that going forward we will have to make up the shortfall for the banks' debt too.
Oh yes, in huge interest repayments, I agree.

*hires hitman to do job on person saying "going forward"* :)

Skinner

I'd say there are plenty of mandarins in the EU praying for a GE now, so that they can say goodbye to Joe ! I think some of his politics are too simplistic but I completely admire his principles.
Well at a certain level of abstraction everything appears simple, so make things as simple as needs be to understand them and no simpler.

Its a part of the magic of human cognition to move up and down in size of concept that allows us to do all the wonderful things we are capable of.

So good on Joe for making it simple, oh and...

G'wan Joe :p

Illustro

If someone has already picked up on this, apologies

New 'United Left Alliance' formed - RT News
I like Joe. He's honest, but this tax policy would not really solve anything. As Winston Churchill famously said:

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
Ireland is currently in that bucket, trying to lift itself.

It seems a policy made from anger (justified anger) rather than sense. Alot of "rich people" create employment for many people and attacking them all could force many entrepreneurs abroad. We know who he's trying to attack, however a blanket policy could inflict unnecessary collateral damage.

The real solution is to have as a nation control over the quantity of exchange medium in the hands of the people.

Popular Threads

Most Replies