Gwen Halley: Ireland's most pathetic journalist?

BarryW

As if her childish, screeching personalised rants against Enda Kenny and Phil Hogan weren't proof enough of the piss-poor standards that the Sindo puts up with, Gwen Halley has done much recently to re-inforce her reputation as a truly awful journalist.

In her column this week on the Conservative leadership race, Halley makes some hugely insightful comments :roll: :
If I were a spin doctor, I would say that Cameron's chin is crucial to his charisma. Like Clinton, Cameron's vague good looks originate in his vague chin

Her fascinating political analysis continues:
Cameron is unlikely to cheat on his radiant expectant wife, Samantha, not so much because he values fidelity but because he has - or so he jokes to his inner circle - a lethargic libido. So there will be no bimbo eruptions to bother spin doctors
Salivating at Ken Clarke's defeat, she says:
Actually he's just an old-style, slothful, golf club bore who smokes cigars voraciously, gorges on a little more bread and butter pudding than he should (his shirt buttons are notoriously peripatetic at social gatherings) and clearly doesn't spend the day at the desk
Astonishingly, she goes on to list Michael Howard among those on the left of the Conservative party :shock: :shock:

In last weeks Sindo, she wrote a truly measured, thoughtful and insightful contribution titled "Why I want to slap Carole Coleman"

While I am no fan of RTE, or Carole Coleman, this piece is truly pathetic.
Hilariously, she accuses Coleman of lacking modesty (!!) and says that "Unlike most women reporters she lacks listening skills". She accuses Coleman of having "prejudices" being "Biased" and describes her writings as "boasting".
Halley obviously has absolutely NO sense of irony in her writing, as these comments alone mark her out as the Queen of Hypocrisy in the Sindo Hive of hypocritical Drones.

Halley paints light-hearted comments made by Coleman to illustrate her nervousness before the Bush interview (praying in the Ladies toilets) as being a naked attack on Bush's Christianity.
She criticises her for "self-righteously professed to speak for the "Irish people" and having "an engorged yet empty ego" (again, no sense of irony there.....)

Aside from the ranting contained in her pieces, Halley's style of prose is trite, tiresome and difficult to read. Many of her contributions (as with the Coleman one) consist of an endless stream of rhetorical questions.
She has also said that "a nakedly exposed ego can be endearing". I'm afraid that her own journalism discredits this theory in spades.

The attempted stamping out of sleaze and crappy journalism has not made much progress at the Sindo. While the problems undoubtedly start with Aengus Fanning, I'd suggest that Gavin O' Reilly weild the axe on this woman first.

Ireland's most pathetic journalist? Maybe. She is certainly giving Vincent Browne a run for his money

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
The Sindo is a rag, the only point in reading it is to laugh at how pathetic the standard of journalism is. What really annoys me is the way the paper is basically used to promote products at every turn. The best example of this is the way that practically every article written by a woman, no matter how serious the content is accompagnied by a photo of the author in some godawful get up and face paint out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show with the caption "Victoria is dressed by Samantha Ophelia-Westwood (can never remember the names of designers so just made that name up) and her make up is by Nue Blue Eriu" I mean, what fecking relevance does it have?

campbeca

ireland2004 said:
I have to say she is quite pathetic...I'm agreeing with BarryW :cry:
Check your windows for flying pigs

Casualbets

There seems to be a crossparty concensus building here...

Yes she's bad, but no worse than the other nasty spiteful controversialist opinion-as-journalism mongers in the sindo... Does Declan Lynch have no sense of shame?

BarryW

mjcoughlan said:
BarryW, are you a Coleman fan or something?
Not as such. I don't like her style of journalism, and don't think she is particularly talented, but I had to admire the courage she showed during the Bush thing.

And I despise RTE with every weary bone in my Blueshirt body. So that's one thing I have in common with Gwen Halley

jmcc

mjcoughlan said:
BarryW said:
And I despise RTE with every weary bone in my Blueshirt body. So that's one thing I have in common with Gwen Halley
Ditto. Except for the Blueshirt bit.
Sorry to upset you MJ, but you have something else in common with Gwen Halley - she is from Waterford. From a well known FG family too apparently. :)

Regards...jmcc

mjcoughlan

Website
www.bebo.com
jmcc said:
mjcoughlan said:
BarryW said:
Ditto. Except for the Blueshirt bit.
Sorry to upset you MJ, but you have something else in common with Gwen Halley - she is from Waterford. From a well known FG family too apparently. :)

Regards...jmcc
Yes, they don't live a million miles from me either.

jmcc

In the style of "Have I Got News For You", fill in the blanks:

"BLANK BLANK is full of people with a massively-inflated sense of their own importance."

:)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

smiffy said:
Waterford City?
Yeah Smiffy but they generally end up in Dublin with the rest of them. :)

Regards...jmcc

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
mjcoughlan said:
jmcc said:
smiffy said:
Waterford City?
Yeah Smiffy but they generally end up in Dublin with the rest of them.

Regards...jmcc
Ain't that the truth?
Damn Waterfordians! Coming to Dublin, taking our jobs, taking our houses, shacking up with our women! Dublin for the Dubliners!

jmcc

agora said:
Damn Waterfordians!
Nah they are the civilised types - it is the Waterforders who are the scary ones who have the whole Viking vibe going on. (That reminds me - I have to shave.)

Coming to Dublin, taking our jobs, taking our houses, shacking up with our women! Dublin for the Dubliners!
We give you Gwen Halley, Martin Cullen and John Deasy and you are still not happy? :))

Regards...jmcc

Terry Mac

I think probably Gwen Halley's lowest point (has there been a high) was when she had a three week running battle with Griffith College, basically because they have a Shinner on the staff. What a pathetic woman. She just won't let it go.

One thing about the Sindo is that they love patting themselves on the back in the brief interlude when their predictions appear as if they mite possibly become a reality. Anyone remember when Saddam had just been captured, things were looking up briefly in Iraq, and all we heard was "We told you so", "I was right", "My article of the 22/03/2003 stated that a free Iraq... " etc. Then 2 weeks later it was back to square one. Nobody unpatted their backs.

TheOmbudsman

Whenever I read her columns I usually enjoy them. She's pretty easy on the eye too. Is she ever on the telly?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies