• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

H-Block art. Paddy Cooney objects to "terrorist " installation by Shane Cullen.

former wesleyan

H-Block art work raises ire of ex-Minister - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent

"First of all, I don't think it is art and secondly, the theme is inappropriate. If it was removed I'd shed no tears," Mr Cooney said this week of the 'Fragmens sur les Institutions Republicaines IV 1993-1997,' exhibit by Longford artist Shane Cullen.

The controversial installation consists of black panels on which Mr Cullen has painstakingly hand-painted messages from IRA prisoners smuggled out of jail during the H-Block protests in Northern Ireland in the 1980s.

I'm not a member of the PIRA fanclub but Paddy Cooneys' objections are way over the top imho. Unless you're of the Yeatsian school of Art causing young men to go out and etc etc.

LamportsEdge

Ah who'd expect an Irish Minister to know anything of art. Those langballs spent much of the last century condemning Joyce.

If they knew anything about art they'd have emigrated. The only contact Irish politicians have with art is in stealing stuff off the walls of the offices when they've lost an election.

pinemartin

D

Deleted member 17573

I object to his objection.

Nice to see the Young fellow following on in his fathers reactionary right wing politics. It reminds me why I will never ever vote for the blue shirts.
And Paddy was a right auld Blueshirt - very tolerant of the methods of the Heavy Gang.

LamportsEdge

In the very depths of the Bush second term I had to go to Washington. Went along to an exhibition of political satirical cartoons at a well known gallery with some colleagues in the evening.

There were a few pieces of installation art there- right under the nose of the White House there was a grave installed with a headstone using the dates of the declaration of Independence and the date of Bush's second inauguration as 'Born and Died' dates and the inscription read 'United States of America'.

That may not have gone down terribly well with the Bush junta then in evidence around Washington but I was impressed that it was there and the thought was that at least not all dissent can be stifled by bullying and charges of 'supporting terrorism' and so on.

And since when did Irish politicians become art critics? What is it that gives invariably right wing politicians the notion that they can decide what happens to be art?

If it is a statement on the human condition under any circumstances then it is art. That'll be 50p for the knowledge, ex-Minister.

hiding behind a poster

Oh dear, old Turdsl ain't gonna like this. His good friend Paddy Cooney, and all.

ManOfReason

Wasn't the 'H-Block art work' made by men on-the-blanket literally sh1t? I guess this artist decided it would be less offensive to the nostrils to make his tribute only metaphorically sh1t.

james toney

Never knew about this, i do now,thanks to paddy cooney.
Must pop in and see it next week.

Truth.ie

Cooney's the chap who poured concrete over Frank Stagg's coffin in a Mayo graveyard?
Nut-case.

Heligoland

Fine Gael Councillor wants to censor artwork about the 1981 Hunger Strike

The Councillor is the son of Fine Gael Minister Paddy Cooney. I'm sure this a coincidence.

The article says:

Cllr Cooney's father, the former Minister for Justice Paddy Cooney, has publicly criticised the work, saying: "First of all, I don't think it is art and secondly, the theme is inappropriate."

Athlone councillor to seek removal of Luan Gallery artwork - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent

Didn't some other political groups try to censor artworks they disapproved of for political reasons?

How did that turn out?

dresden8

The Councillor is the son of Fine Gael Minister Paddy Cooney. I'm sure this a coincidence.

The article says:

Cllr Cooney's father, the former Minister for Justice Paddy Cooney, has publicly criticised the work, saying: "First of all, I don't think it is art and secondly, the theme is inappropriate."

Athlone councillor to seek removal of Luan Gallery artwork - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent

Didn't some other political groups try to censor artworks they disapproved of for political reasons?

How did that turn out?
Brian Cowen nude portraits controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FG/FF two cheeks, one arse.

Ulster-Lad

The article says:

How did that turn out?
The comments attached to the article you cited are gas. Bottom Feeder. petunia

There is already a thread BTW.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/203548-h-block-art-paddy-cooney-objects-terrorist-installation-shane-cullen.html

H.R. Haldeman

<MOD> Thread Fine Gael Councillor wants to censor artwork about the 1981 Hunger Strike merged here at post #13. <MOD>

Cornerman

This is the work he wants removed.

There is some written information about the exhibition here: WANAFOTO: 11/2012 - 12/2012
Gosh that's a big piece.

It reminds me a bit of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC. That is in memory of the American soldiers who died in Vietnam (obviously) fighting for their country (however you regard their efforts.) I guess this is the same sort of thing really - in memory of Irish men fighting for their country (however you regard their efforts.)

Art is at it's best when it stirs emotions and the Cooney boys seem to have their well stirred.

I'd never heard of the gallery so this is all to the good as far as the promotion of Irish art is concerned.