• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Habemus a Diplomatic Problem?

Radix

Not a wet day in the job, and already the home lobbyists are seeking favours from the new Pope. It turns out that the President of Argentina needs help from her new best friend in the Vatican to prevent any future 'yomping' in the Falkland Islands by British soldiers.

Given His former 'nationalistic' statements in the past where the Malvinas are concerned, what message should the Pope signal to the United Kingdom?

Jerusalem Post - Breaking News

Pope Francis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hat tip to L'Chaim.

Why? If he did it would make him quite popular across much of the non-european world - and help sweep away uncomfortable questions about his past.
Well he would make himself decidedly unpopular across the UK, undo all the good work Benedict did with his visit, and politicize the Papacy to an unacceptable degree. It is not the job of the Pope to pander to what is popular.

pippakin

Not a wet day in the job, and already the home lobbyists are seeking favours from the new Pope. It turns out that the President of Argentina needs help from her new best friend in the Vatican to prevent any future 'yomping' in the Falkland Islands by British soldiers.

Given His former 'nationalistic' statements in the past where the Malvinas are concerned, what message should the Pope signal to the United Kingdom?

Hat tip to L'Chaim.
Not that the RCC have ever been democratic but most of the countries they ponce off are and have been for a long time which is more than can be said for Argentina. The new pope would do well to remember that.

seabhcan

Well he would make himself decidedly unpopular across the UK, undo all the good work Benedict did with his visit, and politicize the Papacy to an unacceptable degree. It is not the job of the Pope to pander to what is popular.
The UK is not a growth market for Catholicism. If he wants to expand his enterprise, he has to focus on emerging markets.

stopdoingstuff

He has the benefit of a massive loophole- "Blessed are the peacemakers...". So it should be fine.

asset test

He isn't going to involve himself, not if he has brain cells working or decent advisers around him.
Advisers? I thought we here in Ireland only overpaid them to get the folk on message for the proletariat.

A State or a Christian message in the Vatican?

Nah, it's diplomacy of course, and I wonder where the priorities are for the faithful.

I despair. And if shouldn't, then why?

neiphin

Yep, I don't think you get the way it works. The Catholic Church, contrary to the demented spin here from anti-Catholics, is not a commercial corporation.
Who pays for you and your anti woman crusade ?

ruserious

Hat tip to L'Chaim.

This thread has everything! British colonialism, the Pope, Religion, parish pump and even the Jewish angle!

Mercurial

He's not likely to get directly involved in such a minor affair. Nevermind the fact that Argentina is in the wrong anyway when it comes to the Falklands.

dresden8

It's not like the Brits haven't told the pope to rev up and fnck off before.

'orebel

Yep, I don't think you get the way it works. The Catholic Church, contrary to the demented spin here from anti-Catholics, is not a commercial corporation.
*chortles*

APettigrew92

Then where does all it's money come from? Can it all be Church collections?
It says in Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code that Vatican Wealth was estimated at a total of €69 billion then.

It is rather sad that such wealth exists and yet my local church has been fundraising for 10 years to get €160,000 to get the roof fixed.

I guess like most other authoritarian patriarchies, the Catholic Church does have its downsides.

westernyelp

It says in Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code that Vatican Wealth was estimated at a total of €69 billion then.

It is rather sad that such wealth exists and yet my local church has been fundraising for 10 years to get €160,000 to get the roof fixed.

I guess like most other authoritarian patriarchies, the Catholic Church does have its downsides.
Using Dan brown novels as a reference usually doesn't help your point