Had the British Government Told the Irish how to vote on Fiscal Compact...

ruserious

...I'm sure it would have caused ructions among many Irish voters.

"How dare the British Government lecture us on how we should vote. Did they forget that we are no longer in the UK? We are an independent State and it is up to us alone how to vote!"

Yet Enda Kenny is doing exactly that to the British electorate by telling them how to vote and directly lobbying eligible Irish voters in the UK and Resident British citizens here.

Does this not represent a gross over stepping of respecting sovereignty, something many Irish people would be quick to point out had Cameron told us how to vote on Fiscal Compact, Lisbon or any other referendum.

former wesleyan

I agree. It's cringeworthy stuff coming from Kenny. There are much more subtle ways of going about this.

Spanner Island

"How dare the British Government lecture us on how we should vote. Did they forget that we are no longer in the UK? We are an independent State and it is up to us alone how to vote!"

Yet Enda Kenny is doing exactly that to the British electorate by telling them how to vote and directly lobbying eligible Irish voters in the UK and Resident British citizens here.

Does this not represent a gross over stepping of respecting sovereignty, something many Irish people would be quick to point out had Cameron told us how to vote on Fiscal Compact, Lisbon or any other referendum.
If Brexit didn't affect us... then yes... it would be over stepping the mark.

Because Brexit will affect us however... not to mention across the EU and beyond - then no... it's not over-stepping the mark imo.

I doubt anyone will pay much attention to Kenny though...

General Urko

Britain was absolutely correct on the insane fiscal pact!

Analyzer

You mean the Fiscal Union Compact Treaty ?

In other words the FUCT ?

"There are millions of jobs in this treaty Vincent..of course I don't know which sectors they are in" to quote Lucinda Creighton.

Analyzer

Rephrase the question to be more honest.

Did Merkel instruct the British Government to tell the Irish people how to vote ?

Answer : No. The British government have too much self respect. In fact the UK even has more respect for the Irish people than the Irish government. ( if in doubt check the Lib Dem MEP who lambasted the Irish MEPs, & Osborne trying to bin the bondholders before Dumbocrat appointee Geithnr sided with Frankfurt).

I presume you knew that when commencing this thread.

Analyzer

Where is Brian Hayes ?

How could he not intervene....

Irish-Rationalist

I agree. It's cringeworthy stuff coming from Kenny. There are much more subtle ways of going about this.
Like invasion, colonisation and subjugation? We don't have that capability.

He is quite entitled to tell Irish people in the UK what he/the government believes will be the impact upon Ireland of a vote for Brexit. Some will listen, far more won't, some will be offended by the fact that the Irish government is happy to get rid of emigrants but then claims some sort of implicit allegiance from them. But, so long as he doesn't say 'Vote Remain', he stays the right side of the line.

between the bridges

Who?

Analyzer

He is quite entitled to tell Irish people in the UK what he/the government believes will be the impact upon Ireland of a vote for Brexit. Some will listen, far more won't, some will be offended by the fact that the Irish government is happy to get rid of emigrants but then claims some sort of implicit allegiance from them. But, so long as he doesn't say 'Vote Remain', he stays the right side of the line.
When EK's government dropped the dole for 19 year olds ( effectively encouraging them to go abroad for work - with many then choosing Canada, NZ, Australia) I don't remember aanybody in the Irish establishment lecturing on how much better off they would be if they choose to "remain" in the EU.....

hollandia

When EK's government dropped the dole for 19 year olds ( effectively encouraging them to go abroad for work - with many then choosing Canada, NZ, Australia) I don't remember aanybody in the Irish establishment lecturing on how much better off they would be if they choose to "remain" in the EU.....
Because, and to be pretty blunt about it, the irish establishment were delighted that they'd fecked off anywhere and were someone else's problem. BREXIT directly affects the Irish Establishment (and the british establishment, but they are too stupid to see it) which is why they are so vocal about it.

Watcher2

People keep talking about how bad a British Exit from the EU would be but any of the examples given tend to be mere scare tactics as if Britain would leave immediately upon the referendum passing. Its horse sh1t of course. It would be years after the referendum and Agreements carefully negotiated and processes carefully worked out.

I have yet to see a credible argument, from either side actually. Where are the CREDIBLE sources of information?

APettigrew92

He is quite entitled to tell Irish people in the UK what he/the government believes will be the impact upon Ireland of a vote for Brexit. Some will listen, far more won't, some will be offended by the fact that the Irish government is happy to get rid of emigrants but then claims some sort of implicit allegiance from them.
Ireland is one of the last nations in Europe to adopt voting from abroad.

Let's not pretend that there isn't a callous, self-serving purpose on the Government's part to avoid implementing it.

I reckon the emigrant vote would be decidedly anti-establishment, seeing as how the weakness of the Government lead to it.

RodShaft

It does.

Embarrassing stuff.

RodShaft

You mean the Fiscal Union Compact Treaty ?

In other words the FUCT ?

"There are millions of jobs in this treaty Vincent..of course I don't know which sectors they are in" to quote Lucinda Creighton.
It's not the sectors Luscious Lucy should have been worrying about. It was the countries the jobs were going to be in. It certainly wasn't Ireland.

RodShaft

He's pretty disliked by most recent emigrants. Hopefully his campaign drives people into the Vote Leave camp.

Eire1976

The British Government tells the Irish Government what to do everyday.

RodShaft

The British Government tells the Irish Government what to do everyday.
In fairness, only after our Stockholm Syndrome politicians ask them for instructions...

New Threads

Most Replies