• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Hail the Life of P.ie and the Right to Reply.

Twin Towers

For too long the mainstream media has had a monopoly on debate and an exclusive hold on telling people what to think. Social media like P.ie have ended that stranglehold forever. The MSM is not happy and now appear to be pursuing an anti social media agenda of blaming the suicide of a Minister on criticism levelled at his government from sites like this.

We should never apologize for our freedom to speak or our moderated right to reply.

Analyzer

The Sindo commentary on this issue, did not mention any site. This is not a social media site.

I presume by social media that they mean TWIT-ter, and Farcebook.

Tawdy

..............and still they cite that shaggin in&m rag to start an OP. The credibility gap is widening on here each time that rag is quoted. :roll:

darkhorse

For too long the mainstream media has had a monopoly on debate and an exclusive hold on telling people what to think. Social media like P.ie have ended that stranglehold forever. The MSM is not happy and now appear to be pursuing an anti social media agenda of blaming the suicide of a Minister on criticism levelled at his government from sites like this.

We should never apologize for our freedom to speak or our moderated right to reply.
Isnt that contradiction the heart of the problem?

Tough Paddy

Another poster with delusion of grandeur about P.ie setting up a thread to to brazenly whore for likes! :roll:

How many times does it need to be said?! This site has zero credibility anymore and is taken with very little seriousness outside of the P.ie bubble on here.

captainwillard

The Sindo commentary on this issue, did not mention any site. This is not a social media site.

I presume by social media that they mean TWIT-ter, and Farcebook.

Don't spoil it. Some posters take themselves and this site very seriously. It is fun and no post should be taken seriously.

southwestkerry

Personally I think a good few in social media this site included are narcissistic so and so's who set out to spit vile at anyone they do not like. Such folk are the bad apples that tar the rest of us. After logging on midweek and seeing the posts here I logged off and went away in despair. Its a sad world we live in and like it or not such folk well continue to give the rest of us a bad name till the end of time.
SwK

gijoe

On Marian Finucane this morning they mentioned trolling on social networking sites in reference to Sean McEntee. I got the impression from the Sindo that they were referring to politics.ie without actually naming it, but I of course could be wrong in that. The Sindo also stated that McEntee's staff tried but failed to get some comments removed - was this in relation to politics.ie??

It seems to be that his comments re the carers respite allowance cuts where he said a week in a hotel only costs €700/week prompted the online commments.

What is coming across from people who knew him is that he was a 'sensitive soul'. Well the cut and thurst of politics is the last place such a person should be. If you cannot take the abuse that comes with being in politics you should not be in it.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am

To be honest most of these sites are as bad.
For every good site there's 50 sites included in the monopoly you refer to.

Limerick Lad

And if its moderated its not entirely freedom of speech
With freedom of speech comes responsibility, if people are not willing to put their names to their statements, they have to accept that those who do carry the responsibillity retain the right to moderate comments.

Twin Towers

And if its moderated its not entirely freedom of speech
Well if we were all using our names and addresses here there would be self moderation, which wouldn't be entirely freedom of speech either. The moderation you need to have on an anonymous forum is there to protect freedom of speech otherwise it's enemies will troll that very freedom to destroy it.

Kevin Doyle

For too long the mainstream media has had a monopoly on debate and an exclusive hold on telling people what to think.
You can only be told what to think if you are incapable of thinking for yourself.

Dame_Enda

Down with the MSM. Long Live p.ie.

Gawd. I sounded like Sean Hannity there.

Limerick Lad

Well if we were all using our names and addresses here there would be self moderation, which wouldn't be entirely freedom of speech either. The moderation you need to have on an anonymous forum is there to protect freedom of speech otherwise it's enemies will troll that very freedom to destroy it.
I would hope that anyone posting on Politics.ie would not post anything they would not be willing to say in public or if criticising an individual would be willing to say the same thing in person if they got the opportunity, I certainly try to keep my comments within those boundaries.

Edo

With freedom of speech comes responsibility, if people are not willing to put their names to their statements, they have to accept that those who do carry the responsibillity retain the right to moderate comments.
exactly - I've been away for a few days - I've obviously missed what I hoped would not happen - can't say Im surprised - the general coarsening of tone and language around here has been happening for a couple of years now.

Lots of folks on here know who I am - the whole of Carlow county council and most of the FG party know my user name - its a dead giveaway - then again I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say to somebody's face in the real world - thats the crux here

The OP has delusions of grandeur - this place has as much gravitas thesedays as graffiti on the back of a jacks door.............there used to be a time when politicians and others would contribute to the debate on this site - not anymore.............its a real pity - but decision time is coming along the tracks for this site - before it is superceded by something else and it really becomes what it going fast towards already - a tiny group of nameless individuals with nothing better to do with their time pronouncing on all and sundry with all the class of a coven of barflies in the pub on a tuesday afternoon............

Exercise personal responsibility or responsibility will be exercised for you

alloverbartheshouting

Don't spoil it. Some posters take themselves and this site very seriously. It is fun and no post should be taken seriously.
:shock2: It's a Christmas miracle! I agree with you, but only a little - hey, that's a start, no?

This site is fun - it's a free resource where we can all post our thoughts. Some people like to engage in real debate with a bit of messing while others just like to mess. Then there are others who think the world revolves around p.ie.

However, there are times in all fora that it gets out of hand and disgraceful comments are posted. Does that annoy me at times? Yes. Do I cry myself to sleep about it? No. The day I do is the day I'll have to scramble my password and never return.

As another poster has as his quote, sure it's only a bit of craic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies