Haiti destroyed by hurricane

Mister men

Seeing this afternoon some of the pictures coming out of Haiti after hurricane Matthew. Truly heartbreaking stuff and a reminder to us all how lucky we are to live on this island. I'd urge anyone to help in anyway they can by donating money, cloths, food stuffs etc.. to the people of this already impoverished nation. Unfortunately the death toll is going up by the hour and countless people have no shelter as another hurricane possibly heads in their direction. This is one link but there are many other ways of helping. Play your part, don't go down the pub tonight, update your iphone 6 to a 7 or go out for that meal you have had planned for weeks now and donate that money to a very worthwhile cause.

http://www.actionaid.ie/hurricane-haiti?gclid=CJuR8KTVyM8CFaS77Qod2pQOWQ

I have no hidden agenda or association with the above charity.

Watcher2

Seeing this afternoon some of the pictures coming out of Haiti after hurricane Matthew. Truly heartbreaking stuff and a reminder to us all how lucky we are to live on this island. I'd urge anyone to help in anyway they can by donating money, cloths, food stuffs etc.. to the people of this already impoverished nation. Unfortunately the death toll is going up by the hour and countless people have no shelter as another hurricane possibly heads in their direction. This is one link but there are many other ways of helping. Play your part, don't go down the pub tonight, update your iphone 6 to a 7 or go out for that meal you have had planned for weeks now and donate that money to a very worthwhile cause.

Yep. 340 dead as per the radio reports this morning.

gerhard dengler

It's difficult to think of another country which has suffered as bad, or worse, natural calamities than Haiti. It's terrible to have experienced this, especially after the devastation of the previous disaster.

Great OP and hopefully it will move folk here to think about those less fortunate and to donate.

D

Deleted member 48908

Reports here that the death toll in Haiti now stands at 478.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Firstly, RIP to the dead, my heart goes out the families of the deceased and their communities. Haiti really deserves a break after all that has befallen it over the years, but once again it gets literally battered down.

Anyway, I wasn't overly aware of Action Aid but a quick check of Wikipedia revealed the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionAid#Criticism

From the page:

ActionAid has been criticized for supporting US-led violent regime change in Haiti in 2004.
"accounting processes the charity uses resulted in its administrative costs appearing to be 'particularly high'
No axe to grind with these people and I am sure that the vast majority of people who volunteer and contribute to them are decent, honest people, just thought I would provide the above for clarity.

Prester Jim

I will give money but not to an organisation affilliated with Wyclef Jean, the guy was shameless last time out. Pity that so many poor countries are seen as easy prey to the worst of people.

Mister men

Don't know why this was moved to "Rest Of World" section? Official death toll is now 886 but large regions havent even been reached yet by rescuers and the toll is likely to be in the thousands as this is the very early rescue and recovery stage. Do what you can people please.

asset test

Millions was donated the last time. They are still living in tents and shacks and thus more vulnerable.

Where does this money go I often wonder.

I know they can't house everyone but still.

I will donate but am never sure to which organisation. They all seem to be on the radio looking for money.

EUrJokingMeRight

Millions was donated the last time. They are still living in tents and shacks and thus more vulnerable.

I will donate but am never sure to which organisation. They all seem to be on the radio looking for money.
'Charity' administration costs.

Lots of well off peeps here and the US living very well off the back of the naive generosity of others.

redhead

Try one of the ones that are already providing resources or working there in the field. It should be easy enough to check from a website as projects are usually listed.

Prester Jim

The Clinton foundation, and Denis O'Brien, to the rescue...
Apparently 10,000,000,000 was channelled through Bill Clinton through his specially set up haiti foundation. only 100,000,000 was used, no-one knows where the rest went...

Oh and Dinny is involved.
"Ortel: The math is staggering―-if we count all estimated donations $10,000,000,000 or more as the base, and use $100 million as the approximate amount declared, we arrive at 1%.
But then look here at how much benefit one donor, involved in Haiti, may have derived from the World Bank, potentially through intercession of the Clinton network, spread throughout many government and multi-lateral organizations:
Digicel Snapshots - Private Participation in Infrastructure (PPI) - World Bank Group
"
Interesting long read.
The Clinton Foundation

New Threads

Most Replies