Haiti destroyed by hurricane

tipofdiceberg

It's difficult to think of another country which has suffered as bad, or worse, natural calamities than Haiti. It's terrible to have experienced this, especially after the devastation of the previous disaster.

Great OP and hopefully it will move folk here to think about those less fortunate and to donate.
Will DOB and Clinton move in and clean up?

elliebee

Millions was donated the last time. They are still living in tents and shacks and thus more vulnerable.

Where does this money go I often wonder.

I know they can't house everyone but still.

I will donate but am never sure to which organisation. They all seem to be on the radio looking for money.
There were supposed to have been a lot of people who cashed in on the Haiti earthquake tragedy of 2010. I cannot help wondering about one of our own supposed "rich" guys petunia

Seven Places Where Haiti’s Earthquake Money Did and Did Not Go

P.S. I'll certainly not be giving anything. There's absolutely no point. Some wealthy creeps without any consciences will nab it before the unfortunates can even blink.

Last edited:

asset test

There were supposed to have been a lot of people who cashed in on the Haiti earthquake tragedy of 2010. I cannot help wondering about one of our own supposed "rich" guys petunia

P.S. I'll certainly not be giving anything. There's absolutely no point. Some wealthy creeps without any consciences will nab it before the unfortunates can even blink.
Interesting read.

Just as I suspected, although I was trying to be open minded. Always wondered why the poor people of Haiti despite billions in aid were this week still living in makeshift accommodation and the infrastructure is still dire.

I am very torn on the matter TBH.. I want to help Haitians in their plight, but am very sure my money will not directly help the people long term either.

Dilemma.

elliebee

Interesting read.

Just as I suspected, although I was trying to be open minded. Always wondered why the poor people of Haiti despite billions in aid were this week still living in makeshift accommodation and the infrastructure is still dire.

I am very torn on the matter TBH.. I want to help Haitians in their plight, but am very sure my money will not directly help the people long term either.

Dilemma.
I know exactly how you feel but what on earth is the point sending money through these NGO's when it doesn't get to it's desired destination. The Haitian government said it received little or no aid so maybe it could be sent directly to one of their politiicians (well maybe on second thoughts ...) failing that what about sending something to the local post office.

It is a right dilemma but I'm damned if I'm filling the pockets of the greedy.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief

"The Red Cross gave much of the money to other groups to do the hands-on work, resulting in additional fees.

First the Red Cross took a customary administrative cut, then the charities that received the money took their own fees. And then, according to the Red Cross' records, the charity took out an additional amount to pay for what it calls the "program costs incurred in managing" these third-party projects."

Last edited:

Mister men

Send your money to Haiti through a charity you trust for whatever reason but just send it. Don't let scumbags like Dinny and the Clinton's put you off. These people are the lowest of the low bottom feeders and the people in Haiti need us all to play our part right now. Horrific scenes coming out of there now heartbreaking stuff :cry:

Mister men

I know exactly how you feel but what on earth is the point sending money through these NGO's when it doesn't get to it's desired destination. The Haitian government said it received little or no aid so maybe it could be sent directly to one of their politiicians (well maybe on second thoughts ...) failing that what about sending something to the local post office.

It is a right dilemma but I'm damned if I'm filling the pockets of the greedy.
Go to a ATM get your cash and then go to a shop. Buy some cloths and tinned food and send it to Haiti through a charity. Plenty of options besides sending cash.

asset test

Go to a ATM get your cash and then go to a shop. Buy some cloths and tinned food and send it to Haiti through a charity. Plenty of options besides sending cash.
I had thought of that, indeed the whole family said we should get a few parcels together.

Any ideas where we could send them to? I'm not even sure if an Post or UPS deliver there either. Anyway it's something I would feel better about alright. I'll do a bit of digging.

im axeled

broadsheet.ie has an article exposing this crap

tigerben

Don't worry about the Haitians , I'm sure their calamity will make a few more millionaires of people . All the money pledged , all the money given to the numerous "aid" organisations should have ensured a house / home for every one in Haiti . Instead tent cities are still around many years later. But like the health service here , aid to Africa , the Syrian war ect ect ect ect , if it's fixed then the income that those " organisations " set up to help will no longer be needed. Follow the money ...and those than are pocketing the money get used to it as the African countries have gotten used to foreign aid.

Dame_Enda

France should help Haiti given it extorted a century of compensation from Haiti for the abolition of slavery.

asset test

Don't worry about the Haitians , I'm sure their calamity will make a few more millionaires of people . All the money pledged , all the money given to the numerous "aid" organisations should have ensured a house / home for every one in Haiti . Instead tent cities are still around many years later. But like the health service here , aid to Africa , the Syrian war ect ect ect ect , if it's fixed then the income that those " organisations " set up to help will no longer be needed. Follow the money ...and those than are pocketing the money get used to it as the African countries have gotten used to foreign aid.
And our own taxpayer funded Foreign Aid is about €650million per annum, and it was maintained at that figure even during the crash when our own were in some cases destitute.

I regret to say that donating to places like Haiti doesn't seem to amount to much on the ground yet. So obviously it is being creamed off by some. That is just despicable..

But what do those who want to help do? I have no intention of making a charity or other do gooders wealthy.

Some suggestions were made earlier about providing parcels. OK that's good, it's the way to go for me now. No more cash after having seen Haiti today when billions in aid was sent there in 2010 and they are still living in shacks and tents.

The people of Haiti are the victims a thousand times over.

Karloff

It is the worst thing to be an island badly managed, poor and in a whole load of trouble.

Nowhere for the people to run to.

madmullah

Si nce the earthquake in 2010? how many billions in aid had gone into Haiti, How many hundred useless f-----NGOs have been doing so called humanitarian, livelihood, early recovery BLAH BLHA BLAH ACTIVITIES. hOW MANY BILLIONS HAVE BEEN WASTED, a un force that introduced cholera , a total **** up and one of the biggest waste of money ever, If you took all of the billions and threw them out of an airplane it would been more useful and the people may have decent houses.
If you want to save Haiti, get rid of the NGOs , dump half of the UN and then put someone who knows what they arte doing in charge.

Do not give money to OXFAM . a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

asset test

That country is a disaster whether there is a hurricane or an earthquake.

The billions pumped into it from individual donations and UN etc. supports have yielded nothing.

So where has the money gone?

I have no doubt that this scenario is replicated everywhere that foreign aid and private donations have been made to. Look at Africa and elsewhere.

We have to ask some questions now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies