Hanafin interested in leading Fianna Fáil

President Bartlet

Mary Hanafin has given a clear indication she would be interested in contesting the leadership of Fianna Fáil if a vacancy arises in the future.

Speaking in Dublin this morning, the Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport said there was no heave against Brian Cowen and she said she would not be part of any such move.

She said, however, that if the leadership was to become available in the future she would throw her name in the ring if members of the parliamentary party felt she had something to offer.

Not a great fan of hers - has been too much of a cheerleader for the current governmnet at time.

I would prefer Martin over her.

Clanrickard

Mary Hanafin has given a clear indication she would be interested in contesting the leadership of Fianna Fáil if a vacancy arises in the future.
Speaking in Dublin this morning, the Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport said there was no heave against Brian Cowen and she said she would not be part of any such move.
She said, however, that if the leadership was to become available in the future she would throw her name in the ring if members of the parliamentary party felt she had something to offer.

Not a great fan of hers - would prefer Martin over her.
Personally I like her. Whether I'd vote for FF after all this even with her in charge...probably no.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
She's a little soulless. And a little too "party first" for me. She was often the attack dog, always defending the indefensible, not least our current dear leader, and his predecessor. And patronising too.

Anyway, she's probably going to lose her seat, so it's all moot.

ellie08

She's a little soulless. And a little too "party first" for me. She was often the attack dog, always defending the indefensible, not least our current dear leader, and his predecessor. And patronising too.

+1.

controller

Thats what we need....a clueless teacher leading the country.

NFD100

Here we go, the inevitable rearranging the deckchairs on the Upper Deck of LE Titanic. They are desperate to hold on to power. They can't do opposition, too many interests. Slippery and slimey.

With a bit of luck, the good people of DL will show her the door!

cul de sac

Any FFer trying to reinvent the cancer that is Fianna Fáil who directly benefitted from Bertie by sitting at the cabinet table is wasting his/her time. They must think they are f**kin royalty or something.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
wouldn't that be interesting - a statement of support in Mary Hanafin as leader from John McGuinness, Sean Power, Chris Andrews...in advance of the PP meeting this evening,,,then the question is put to Hanafin by a journo - "do you accept their support?"

Rocket Man

I would think the main reason that Mary Hanafin may have to go for the leadership would be to give her some chance of holding her own seat.

This would create an interesting scenario where the people of DL would have the chance to vote from two (theoretically at least) options for Taoiseach.

As an aside could we lay off the teacher-bashing. I accept that being a teacher does not nessescarily qualify you for leadership of the country but should not preclude you either.

Astral Peaks

wouldn't that be interesting - a statement of support in Mary Hanafin as leader from John McGuinness, Sean Power, Chris Andrews...in advance of the PP meeting this evening,,,then the question is put to Hanafin by a journo - "do you accept their support?"
Well we know she has taken Power's support in the past........

Anorakphobia

In terms of the 2nd and final leg of the obliteration of FF from the map completely the choice of next leader is vital.

A suicidally panic measure to return for Bertie would be my dream but even FF are no longer this insane.
D Ahern would be my personal fav to complete the job but Hanafin would be a close second.
Lenihan is now surely too damaged and the cancer card has been played out.
Martin looks to me like the only one that could stabilise the decline and not let it become terminal.
For that reason I hope he doesnt get it.

Hanafin will be divisive, spiky and her conservative catholic background will mercifully for the first time in the history of the State be a hinderence to a politician's popularity rather than an asset.

Apropos of same
How do you suppose Ahern used to go about getting his forehead completely smeared in ash every lent?
Would he call the lads in All Hallows and say "right lads I'll be over for mass in 20 mins, you know the drill I want a right good lathering"

Astral Peaks

Berti going to All Hallows for "a right good lathering" is perhaps not the best image to have in one's mind!

Josh Lyman-

Is it me or does she just come across as a teacher speaking to little kids when being interviewed?
Something a little condescending in her tone. Maybe its a poor excuse not to like her but there you go.

iartaoiseach

Is it me or does she just come across as a teacher speaking to little kids when being interviewed?
Something a little condescending in her tone. Maybe its a poor excuse not to like her but there you go.
I agree 100% with you I have always thought exactly that. a condescending wagon who still thinks she is talking to a gang of illiterate primary school kids. mind you it might work with the 17% that still support FF.

Chrisco

It was clear on TWIP that she was going to be a contender.

And good for her!*

*Chrisco backed M. Hanafin in May 2009 at quite generous odds to be the next leader of Fianna Fail.

New Threads

Most Replies