Handgun Ban - Another Example of the Nanny State

FrankSpeaks

The government has agreed to ban handguns and I think this is another example of us becoming a Nanny State. There are legitimate reasons why people may wish to own a handgun mainly connected with the use of them for sporting purposes and I think the blanket ban as proposed is totally unreasonable.

I think the way to handle it is to bring in a law with a mandatory 20 year sentence for being caught in possession of an unlicensed handgun. Enacting this law will not take these guns out of the hands of the criminals. We are going to penalise ordinary people with an interest in handguns for no reason other reason than making the government appear to be doing something about gangland crime when in reality the ban will make absolutely no difference.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
While this is welcome, the majority of firearms used in violent crime seem to be coming in illegally. This is especially obvious given that just 1,900 handgun licenses are held in the State according to the article. An EU-wide ban on handguns would have more of an effect, as well as uniform EU standards at customs to stop them being imported into this country.

Digout

While this is welcome, the majority of firearms used in violent crime seem to be coming in illegally. This is especially obvious given that just 1,900 handgun licenses are held in the State according to the article.
That article is incorrect, there are a lot more legally held handguns in the state.

Akrasia

I think the danger of allowing easily concealed weapons is great enough to outweigh the loss of 'sport' involving handguns

The kind of people who would want to have hand guns are usually the very same people who shouldn't be given them

dissident

I know alot of people who are not going to hand over their guns without a fight. This will be fun.

Come and get them

Last edited:

keepitreal

The kind of people who would want to have hand guns are usually the very same people who shouldn't be given them
And that statement is based on what proof? Any owner of a licensed firearm in this state has had to jump through hoops to get their license and undergo a severe background check.

This ban is a knee jerk - cave in reaction by this lousy government to make it look as if they are doing something about gangland crime. In this case they are targeting the wrong people - as usual. I hope the gun owners pool together and take this to the wire through the courts.

FrankSpeaks

I think the danger of allowing easily concealed weapons is great enough to outweigh the loss of 'sport' involving handguns

Banning handguns is not going to take them our of the hands of the criminals, this law is targeting the wrong people, i.e. the law abiding citizens who have applied for and been vetted before being given a license.

it didn't cut gun crime on the mainland.
legally held guns in NI don't get used by paramilitary s or criminals.
so you will annoy a minority group of sports people to look tough on crime rock on looking tough on crime always makes people feel safer.:rolleyes:

FrankSpeaks

so you will annoy a minority group of sports people to look tough on crime rock on looking tough on crime always makes people feel safer.:rolleyes:
You will get lambasted for using terms like the mainland on this site and deservedly so in my view.

White Horse

The government has agreed to ban handguns and I think this is another example of us becoming a Nanny State. There are legitimate reasons why people may wish to own a handgun mainly connected with the use of them for sporting purposes and I think the blanket ban as proposed is totally unreasonable.

I think the way to handle it is to bring in a law with a mandatory 20 year sentence for being caught in possession of an unlicensed handgun. Enacting this law will not take these guns out of the hands of the criminals. We are going to penalise ordinary people with an interest in handguns for no reason other reason than making the government appear to be doing something about gangland crime when in reality the ban will make absolutely no difference.
It is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction. At the moment, a person who wants to own a handgun and goes through the rigorous licencing system. Anyone in a gun club will vouch how difficult it is to obtain a licence.

The only reason I would support a blanket ban is if the licencing system was ineffective in controlling the suitability of licence holders.

However, there is no evidence that this is the case.

michael1965

Is there evidence that legally held handguns are ending up in the wrong hands? If there isn't, then it sounds like a knee-jerk reaction.

sorry if I caused offense england Scotland and wales banned handguns after dunblane even though the failure in the licensing was the polices fault.
handgun crime has gone up not sure if there is any direct link

Kevin Doyle

This law won't affect anyone on Mainland Europe. It wont affect anyone in NI either for that matter, so just what are you trying to say?

Kevin Doyle

Is there evidence that legally held handguns are ending up in the wrong hands? If there isn't, then it sounds like a knee-jerk reaction.
No evidence at all. People who legally own fire arms have near draconian stipulations attached to the license, including owning a safe for the gun and ammunition.

I haven't got figures but I'm willing to bet (given how regulated fire arms licenses are) that all gun crime is committed using illegal fire arms.

dissident

This law won't affect anyone on Mainland Europe. It wont affect anyone in NI either for that matter, so just what are you trying to say?
Hes trying to say that its a pointless move since the guns used by criminals aren't licensed. There's unlicensed shotguns, AK's and handguns sold around my way for as little as 300 quid, this move won't change that. It may just get a few Garda shot tho.

Kevin Doyle

It is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.
Completely.

It is par for the course with Governments though in that they enact any legislation as soon as possible to give the appearance of having taken action. A lot of the voting public will actually swallow this pin-pr*ck reactionism as a satisfactory responce to Gun crime.

What the government has done here is taken an easy choice that is simple to enact over the far more difficult, but more effective route, of tackling gun crime on the streets.

no human activity has ever been stopped by law,name one that has, all the laws we will ever need are already there ,its someone with the will to use them we need,or do you think the coke dealers of ireland are getting ready to hand in their semi automatics just in case this law comes in.you want to make a big difference ,to cocaine use,and the gun crime that always follows it in ireland bust Blackrock college debs and put 50 children of the Elite out of their prospective careers,sorry forgot its only the poor go to jail

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies