Handy vegetarian recipe ideas?

O

Oscurito

VEG CHILI

One large potato, diced and boiled (don't bother peeling)
Can of baked beans in tomato sauce
Can of chopped tomatoes
Dessertspoon of chili powder
Dessertspoon of cumin powder
Two veggie stock cubes dissolved in a mug of boiling water.
Throw in some peas and sweetcorn for colour if you want.

Mix it all up, bring it to a slow boil and serve with wholegrain rice.

It should be enough for two dinners. Maybe more...

D

Deleted member 48908

We need Con to show up!
This is a great recipe I use to entertain my fancy vegan friends.

First you will need to get eleven head of cattle, nineteen Spring lambs and three little pigs (like the ones in that story where the wolf ate them all.

Next you'll need to go to the shop and buy a tin of baked beans, unless you're like me and keep a vintage cellar with some 1986 Yellowpack ones in reserve for special occasions. Buy a sliced pan.

Open the beans and heat them up in the microwave. You need to take them out of the tin first. Found out the hard way that if you don't, you might electrocute one of the animals.

Next you need to put two slices of bread in the toaster. Toast them...I like mine well done, but not burnt.

The great thing about the toast is that you don't need to use any plates. Saves on the washing up.

Now then, just before you serve, it is important to slaughter all but one of the cattle, four of the lambs and two of the pigs, by way of making an offering to Nicolas Appert, creator of tinned foodstuffs.

Once the meal is over, the remaining animals are to be ritually sacrificed in a death by flatulence ceremony, so that we give thanks to the great Maurice Pratt, bringer of the YellowPack.
...or something.

PBP voter

Last edited:

GDPR

Don't boil them for too long, there's very little fat on them and they'll quickly go to skin and bones.

Other than that, lightly salted and not bad at all.

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
Absolutely gorgeous food, apparently they offer it to God first and thats why its so nice. Although the health & safety people fined them a few years ago for unhygienic conditions.
I bought the book a while back, the recopies are quite complex and for some reason they dont use Garlic, mushrooms or Onions. All things i love.

Cruimh

Absolutely gorgeous food, apparently they offer it to God first and thats why its so nice. Although the health & safety people fined them a few years ago for unhygienic conditions.
I bought the book a while back, the recopies are quite complex and for some reason they dont use Garlic, mushrooms or Onions. All things i love.
Get a copy of this - can be downloaded free on the web.

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Hate to be so cruel..................eat grass! :shock: lol

L'Chaim

There's a very good vegetarian cookbook called "The World of the Happy pear" written by Irish twins Stephen and David Flynn. It is packed full of delicious vegetarian recipes. I'd highly recommend it

Ellen Ripley

Don't boil them for too long, there's very little fat on them and they'll quickly go to skin and bones.

Other than that, lightly salted and not bad at all.
I still couldn't manage to eat a full one though.

Dice three carrots boil them along with a large tin of red kidney beans and a pinch of cumin. When soft mash and form into patties to be grilled. Serve in the manner of a burger.

GDPR

Dice three carrots boil them along with a large tin of red kidney beans and a pinch of cumin. When soft mash and form into patties to be grilled. Serve in the manner of a burger.
Will they hold themselves together?

Will they hold themselves together?
The texture is like meat. They hold themselves together very well. They really behave like a burger.

Ellen Ripley

Oh I don't know. Give me a a shapely one and I'll give it a go.
I would, but they're all puny and have drips on the end of their noses...

gatsbygirl20

Good old Aubergine Parmigiana is a great standby and a not-expensive option.

Aubergine Parmigiana | Vegetables Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes

I adapt this recipe a bit. I use layers of mozzarella, layers of tomato sauce, layer of sliced aubergine, with paremesan sprinkled here and there...Keep layering...Then the lot is topped off with breadcrumbs mixed with olive oil and ground parmesan...

Bake in the oven for 40 mins or so.

You have no meat juices to disguise other tastes so use good quality ingredients. I add fried onion, garlic , basil and a little sugar to the tomato sauce...

I serve this with salad in vinaigrette and an Italian flat bread.

This dish is lovely the next day also, when all the flavours have "taken"

Cruimh

I hate wet baked beans - however fry them in oil (or for non-veggies bacon fat) with some cumin and garlic until they go like porridge and then add chili (I like the Sainsbury's hot pepper sauce) and pepper to taste and they are a feast with toast or fresh bread and especially with a fried egg. Healthy as well! Full of fibre and vitamins - the older members will remember the F-Plan diet was heavily based around baked beans!

New Threads

Most Replies