Hank Azaria on The Simpsons' Apu controversy: 'I'm willing to step aside'

NativeWildCat

The actor, who voices the role, says he could be replaced by an Indian or south Asian actor and called for more diverse voices in the show’s writing room
The Simpsons actor Hank Azaria, who provides the voice for Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, has said he would be willing to give up the role and be replaced by an Indian or south Asian actor after calling for more “inclusion” and diversity in the show’s writing room.

He made the comments on Stephen Colbert’s The Late Show, where he called for the creators of The Simpsons to listen to the criticism over Apu, who has been called “a noxious pastiche of south Asian stereotypes”.

Azaria said: “I think the most important thing is to listen to Indian people and their experience with it. Listening to voices means inclusion in the writers’ room. I really want to see Indian, south Asian writers in the writers’ room, genuinely informing whichever direction this character takes.

“I’m perfectly willing to step aside. It just feels like the right thing to do to me.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/25/hank-azaria-on-the-simpsons-apu-controversy-im-willing-to-step-aside
Hank proving to be a weak and pathetic beta soy boy.

There's 100's of stereotypes portrayed in the Simpsons , but Apu is singled out because the regressive cultural marxists subconsciously feel the character represents an inferior people to themselves , therefore they feel the need to treat them differently and protect them in ways they wouldn't for Italians , Scottish , Irish etc

It's the usual condescending racism we've come to expect from these types. They want to coddle and protect Apu differently to everyone else just because he is Indian.. That kinda sounds like racism to me.

Dame_Enda

I only heard of this originally on Newstalk. But what I would point out is that such criticisms are often made by white Left-liberal professors who theorise more than they experience what they are criticising. For example when they got into a tizzy about calling for the Washington Red Skins to change their name to avoid offending Native Americans, a poll then came out showing the vast majority of those Native Americans polled were fine with the name.

CatullusV

I only heard of this originally on Newstalk. But what I would point out is that such criticisms are often made by white Left-liberal professors who theorise more than they experience what they are criticising. For example when they got into a tizzy about calling for the Washington Red Skins to change their name to avoid offending Native Americans, a poll then came out showing the vast majority of those Native Americans polled were fine with the name.
Can you link to that poll?

razorblade

Oh ffs is there nothing safe from snowflake outrage he's voiced the character for years why is it suddenly a problem now this is just more PC bandwagon jumping its getting worse with every passing year their will soon be nothing left to show on TV if the PC brigade have their way who the hell are they decide what is or isn't offensive.

Dame_Enda

Exactly why are people getting offended on behalf of others when that very group couldn't care less its just all so stupid it really is.
I have always expressed the view that someone is trying to get everyone suing everyone else and that culture-based hysteria is one way the legal profession can profit from Identity Politics.

milipod

[video=youtube;J3YpTBDrgiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YpTBDrgiY[/video]

OrderoftheDragon

That's what happens when you live in a little university bubble, where your brainfarts are given credence by other simple minded echo chambers.

Out in the real world......things are a bit different !

OrderoftheDragon

What does a PC w@nker do, when he offends him/her self ?

flavirostris

Shows you how the noose has tightened since the '90s when the Simpsons was in it's heyday.

Apu in the '90s - no problem. Problematic & racist in 2018.

Munnkeyman

The Simpsons has jumped the shark... Quite a while ago.

DexterGreen22

1.Why just the controversy over the Indian character and not the Italians, the Scot or the Irish* (see the St Patrick's Day Episode with Rex Banner among others)?

Stereotyping White Europeans is okay but not Asians? Similar to immigration argument: Poland and Hungary must, at all times be held to a higher standard than Japan, India or South Korea.

*I have no problem with any of these.

2. Is the US more sensitive to Indian feelings now because they need them to counter China in a way they did not two decades ago?

3. I just lot a bit of respect for Hank and I like his stuff as well.

fat finger

That's what happens when you live in a little university bubble, where your brainfarts are given credence by other simple minded echo chambers.

Out in the real world......things are a bit different !
But students, do they just listen to and discuss the brainfarts or must they inhale them as well?

Dame_Enda

This is the kind of nonsense that has Hungarians fed up of the Soros groups and their Identity Politics.

OrderoftheDragon

But students, do they just listen to and discuss the brainfarts or must they inhale them as well?
There was a lad on the late late show a while back, a student who said that opinions that went against the status quo in Irish Universities were actively discouraged, I can well believe it.

stopdoingstuff

What a massive pussy. White liberal lefties are weaklings who fully deserve the arse raping that they inflict upon themselves.

storybud1

There was a lad on the late late show a while back, a student who said that opinions that went against the status quo in Irish Universities were actively discouraged, I can well believe it.
radical left Fascist propaganda mills,

We used to called them Universities,

Popular Threads

Most Replies