Hans Asperger

Cruimh

The BBC is carrying a story that Hans Asperger was involved in the Nazi euthanasia program.

Hans Asperger ‘collaborated with Nazis’ in WWII

Newly uncovered documents suggest Hans Asperger, the paediatrician whose name describes a form of autism, was actively involved in the Nazi regime's euthanasia programme in Austria.

The evidence comes from previously unexamined Nazi-era documents and patient records.

They suggest Dr Asperger ingratiated himself by referring children to a notorious euthanasia clinic.

Prof Asperger claimed to have shielded his patients from the Nazi regime.

The patient records and documents show that Dr Asperger sent patients to the Am Spiegelgrund clinic in Vienna, where they were put to death.
I suppose any doctor or scientist who did research on the Axis side during WWII could potentially be criticized.

Does it matter? The article goes on to say

"No-one with a diagnosis of Asperger syndrome should feel in any way tainted by this very troubling history," Carol Povey, director at the Centre of Autism for the UK's National Autistic Society, said in a statement to the BBC.

"We expect these findings to spark a big conversation among the 700,000 autistic people in the UK and their family members, particularly those who identify with the term 'Asperger'," she said.
But It'll be interesting to see the reaction - as mentioned in the last sentence. As someone with family members on the spectrum, I must admit I found the article disturbing.

The Nal

War often brings the best out in terms of scientific progress. And in lots of other areas. Rightly or wrongly. Which is clearly the case here.

caulfield

I would have thought that the name will change. Eponymous conditions named after Nazis - Wegener's granulomatosis and Churg-Strauss syndrome - have already been changed. Only a matter of time I would suggest.

The Nal

Hugo Boss have a shop in Dundrum.

Socratus O' Pericles

Wouldn’t be too surprised if the condition were renamed.

I see the wanna be Frankie Boyle’s have arrived, the difference between them and Frankie?

Frankie is funny.

former wesleyan

Wouldn’t be too surprised if the condition were renamed.

I see the wanna be Frankie Boyle’s have arrived, the difference between them and Frankie?

Frankie is funny.
....as cancer.

former wesleyan

In public lectures, Asperger declared his allegiance to the tenets of Nazi medicine. From 1938, when the Nazis “annexed” Austria into the Third Reich, he took to signing his diagnostic reports with, “Heil Hitler.”

Volatire

So what of he was a Nazi? His scientific work did not depend on his political beliefs.

Of course, mixing science with politics is precisely what the Nazis, the Soviets or the BBC would do

Last edited:

Cruimh

I would have thought that the name will change. Eponymous conditions named after Nazis - Wegener's granulomatosis and Churg-Strauss syndrome - have already been changed. Only a matter of time I would suggest.
Speaking to someone involved - apparently it is already largely clinically redundant, as most of the medics use DSM V although asperger's in a recognizable handle for the lay person

leftsoc

The BBC is carrying a story that Hans Asperger was involved in the Nazi euthanasia program.

Hans Asperger ‘collaborated with Nazis’ in WWII

I suppose any doctor or scientist who did research on the Axis side during WWII could potentially be criticized.

Does it matter? The article goes on to say

But It'll be interesting to see the reaction - as mentioned in the last sentence. As someone with family members on the spectrum, I must admit I found the article disturbing.
The surprise would be if he was not a Nazi. People of his class in Germany in the 30's and 40's should be assumed to be Nazis unless there is some evidence to the contrary. Only Hollywood Nazis are working class. Only in Hollywood are priests, factory owners and retired admirals anti-Nazi.

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE

Socratus O' Pericles

It is mainly called ASD now, it’ll take s while for the term Aspergers to die out.

Socratus O' Pericles

Pioneering autism doctor Hans Asperger sent disabled children to be killed by Nazis, new study claims

It darkens the reputation of the doctor, whose name is used by the huge number of people around the world who identify with the syndrome. But experts cautioned how important it is to ensure that people do not feel tainted by the newly discovered history.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/science/asperger-nazi-study-latest-proof-hans-autism-research-spiegelgrund-a8311181.html?amp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies