• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

edifice.

Happy 84th birthday to partition also since we've ensured through the GFA that it will enjoy many more.

Gladstone

No the one in general, give the ideas I've heard floated on this site I thank God most of the people here have no hope of holding executive powers or being voted to office.

BOULD THADY

Carrier said:
Don't be fooling yourself. The GFA is the only game in town, established by a referendum, it can only be changed by referendum.If the parties in the north refuse to reach agreement then the two Governments will impose direct rule in accordance with the terms of the GFA
Can you get the lotto numbers with your crystal ball? People said the same about Sunningdale. Anyway, if the GFA doesn't work it doesn't work. The pro-agreement parties and the governments will only beat a dead horse for so long. The Irish Government showed the level of importance it attaches to this deal when it proposed changing one of the articles of the Constitution brought in as part of the GFA (without even consulting northern parties), when it refused to release all qualifying prisoners and when it failed to review the Offences Against the State Act in any real way.
Carrier, The two governments are not going to change something that was endorsed by the vast majority of people on this island. You really ARE a slow learner. The prisioners you are referring to, the murderers of Gerry MCCabe, did not qualify under the GFA. The Gov. are entitiled to review the Offences against the State Act any way it likes. This is a sovereign state and the Gov. is under no obligation to consult Northern parties about proposed changes to our constitution. Your understanding of how democracy works is pretty limited. "Semi house trained" should be added to "slow learner".

NJP

Carrier said:
.......this isn't about a line on a map - it's about the Irish people being denied the right to decide their own future free from foreign interference and about permenantly protecting the hundreds of thousands of Irish people who were abandoned to live under British rule in a statelet that has discriminated against them, persecuted them and murdered them.
Well said Carrier. That has always been and still is at the heart of the conflict.

NJP

BOULD THADY said:
If the parties in the north refuse to reach agreement then the two Governments will impose direct rule in accordance with the terms of the GFA
First of all Bould thady only one party - the DUP, aided and abetted by the two governments - is refusing to reach agreement on restoring the power sharing Assembly.

Secondly it is the English government that has suspended the Assembly four times outside the terms of the agreement.

Thirdly, it is the English government that would unilaterally impose direct rule on the North. Have the Brits recently changed tack and decided to share government of the 6 Co's with the Irish government?

BOULD THADY

NJP said:
BOULD THADY said:
If the parties in the north refuse to reach agreement then the two Governments will impose direct rule in accordance with the terms of the GFA
First of all Bould thady only one party - the DUP, aided and abetted by the two governments - is refusing to reach agreement on restoring the power sharing Assembly.

Secondly it is the English government that has suspended the Assembly four times outside the terms of the agreement.

Thirdly, it is the English government that would unilaterally impose direct rule on the North. Have the Brits recently changed tack and decided to share government of the 6 Co's with the Irish government?
The DUP will not share power with a party that is the political wing of the IRA ie. Sinn Fein. They are correct in doing so. The two governments will not restore the assembly because Sinn Fein refused to sign up to the criminality clause, which, as Michael MCDowell points out ,shows that the IRA is still intent on continuing its racketeering and violence. The English government suspended the assembly because of the failure of Sinn Fein to reach agreement with the other parties in the assembly. Yes , the British gov. can unilaterally impose direct rule but under the terms of the GFA both govs. can set up north-south bodies if they want to. Sinn Fein are out of step with every other party on this island yet they seem to think that their view should prevail over everybody else. As I said before "slow learners" and "semi house trained".

Risteard

Not it's birthday yesterday (although yesterday was Good Friday, it does not fall on the same date).

I am disappointed that some are celebrating nearly six years of continued warfare and the betrayal of the Irish people.

The Stormont Agreement has failed.

BRITS OUT. ÉIRE NUA IN.

Gladstone

I';m sure President O Braidigh has a plan....tho I'm still wondering when he's gonna get me a medical card...

Gladstone

Yes clearly since the PEACE deal was signed the war has been raging :roll:

(I suppose one RIRA RPG fired at British intelegence counts as a war)

Risteard

The so-called "RIRA" are not the army of the Irish Republic, and as such I would not consider their operations to be legitimate acts of war.

Gladstone

CIRA then whoever :roll: Theres so many "armies" now (and ALOT of war criminals then it would seem) I've lost track.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom