• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

ireland2004

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2004
Messages
316
"The so-called "RIRA" are not the army of the Irish Republic, and as such I would not consider their operations to be legitimate acts of war."

They certainly do a lot more than the Contos albeit that wouldn't be hard.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,257
The GFA was flawed right from the start.

Of the first lesson of Anglo-Irish relations: Never Trust the Brits! was forgotten.

There could have been an outside Monitor made Party to the deal to ensure that all sides played fair.

But the reason I voted No was primarily because Articles Two and Three were changed to recognised Partition and give a Minority in Ireland powers of Veto over the majority.

There will never be permanent Peace anyway until the British Government withdraws.
 

Gladstone

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
420
There is peace now, forget about the Brits, it's for the people of this island to decide amoungst themselves what our future is thats what the GFA is all about it has nothing to do with the Brits.

And I don't see RSF doing anything to get unity.
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,326
Gladstone said:
There is peace now, forget about the Brits, it's for the people of this island to decide amoungst themselves what our future is thats what the GFA is all about it has nothing to do with the Brits.
Well if it's just a matter for the Irish people why did/do the British insist on the format that that decision making process should take? Hardly what you could call self determination without external impediment.
 

BOULD THADY

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
21
Catalpa wrote,"There will never be permanent Peace anyway until the British Government withdraws"

Can you describe in more detail what you think will happen on that glorious day when Britannia ceases to fly her butchers apron over over our fourth greenfield?
 

Gladstone

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
420
Overnight reunification would be a disaster, it's not gonna be a case of Tony rings Bertie and says "here take it back"/
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,326
Gladstone said:
Who cares about the format?
The FINAL decision is ours alone.
No. The final and only decision should be ours.
 

Bogwarrior

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
322
Risteard said:
The so-called "RIRA" are not the army of the Irish Republic, and as such I would not consider their operations to be legitimate acts of war.
Et tu Risteard. So you're criminalising RIRA actions, and prisoners?
 

Risteard

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
510
I am not criminalising them Bogwarrior - but they have been misled and their energies would be better spent in other ways.
 

Gladstone

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
420
Yes there are a few kids in England who you still need to kill due to the evils of partition no doubt...
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
The GFA won't be 7 years old until April 10th. It's stupid to say Good Friday is the anniversary, when it falls on a different day every year.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
Okay, I meant date of course, because it goes without saying that Good Friday is always on a Friday. I just wanted to make that clear because I don't want some smart-arse pointing that out to me.
 

Carrier

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
153
Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
On the thread title, the INLA prisoners released an Easter statement part of which said:
Seven years on since the signing of the GFA, what has changed? Westminister maintains direct rule. The British Army still patrol our streets, their intelligence service still operates clandestine operations, they continue to maintain and update their military installations. Sectarian clashes have increased and there is still no real justice or equality for the
republican/nationalist community.
I think this is a fairly accurate summation of where the GFA has brought Republicans so far.
 

BOULD THADY

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
21
It is accurate in that it shows that the IRA were defeated militarily by the forces of the Crown. All the killing and bombing did not achieve a British withdrawal. The Queen's writ still runs in Northern Ireland. Adams , McGuiness and the rest of the terrorists now take the Saxon shilling and are members of her Parliment. Who knows but the House of Lords may be Gerry Adams final destination rather than Aras an Uachtarain when he finally retires from "active service".
 

FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,980
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The GFA exists largely on paper at the moment. The North-South bodies still exist but more cannot be established until the Executive is restored. I personally do not think it will be.

If the Unionists feel that the IRA is not going to return to war against them they have little incentive to make the GFA work. That is one reason I fear the IRA may eventually lose its patience and the whole thing may flare up again.

At least the GFA has brought measures that should increase Catholic representation in the police. And also it has brought a guarantee of a United Ireland should the statelets population vote for it.

I have nothing but contempt for the border and I look forward to its removal. It is the patriotic duty of all Southern Irish voters to vote yes in a referendum on a United Ireland. Our patriot dead did not fight for us to betray their centuries of struggle in the face of 800 years of oppression.
 

BOULD THADY

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
21
FutureTaoiseach said:
If the Unionists feel that the IRA is not going to return to war against them they have little incentive to make the GFA work. That is one reason I fear the IRA may eventually lose its patience and the whole thing may flare up again.

The reason the GFA is not working is due to the fact that Sinn Fein/IRA refuse to renounce criminality. Are you suggesting that the IRA should go out and shoot a few more Unionists because they will not do what Sinn Fein wants?


I have nothing but contempt for the border and I look forward to its removal. It is the patriotic duty of all Southern Irish voters to vote yes in a referendum on a United Ireland. Our patriot dead did not fight for us to betray their centuries of struggle in the face of 800 years of oppression.


This is just emotional claptrap.
 

Gladstone

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
420
Carrier said:
On the thread title, the INLA prisoners released an Easter statement part of which said:
Seven years on since the signing of the GFA, what has changed? Westminister maintains direct rule. The British Army still patrol our streets, their intelligence service still operates clandestine operations, they continue to maintain and update their military installations. Sectarian clashes have increased and there is still no real justice or equality for the
republican/nationalist community.
I think this is a fairly accurate summation of where the GFA has brought Republicans so far.
I don't think we give a **** what a load of drug dealers said.
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom