• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Happy independence day

EUrJokingMeRight

That's right, it is Irish Independence day.

Us Irish, we're great folk and a proud nation are we not?

History of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well done all of you who help remind us that we were once free.

You deserve our respect.

For those of you who like nothing more than to 'Vote yes' to self interest, greed and ultimately betrayal.

Enjoy your 'Independence' day.......

EUrJokingMeRight

We ratified our independence on the 21st January did we not?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

On 21st Janruary 1919* the first Dáil Éireann unilaterally claimed sovereignty over the entire Island of Ireland. We were not 'independent' at that point.

*I assume that's the date you're talking about?

statsman

That's right, it is Irish Independence day.

Us Irish, we're great folk and a proud nation are we not?

History of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well done all of you who help remind us that we were once free.

You deserve our respect.

For those of you who like nothing more than to 'Vote yes' to self interest, greed and ultimately betrayal.

Enjoy your 'Independence' day.......
I thought it was Martin Luther King Jnr Day.

EUrJokingMeRight

On 21st Janruary 1919* the first Dáil Éireann unilaterally claimed sovereignty over the entire Island of Ireland. We were not 'independent' at that point.

*I assume that's the date you're talking about?
It was ratified by us, which is what matters. Once a country declares and ratifies its freedom, it is free.

Unless you believe that for a country to be free it needs the permission of a foreign country, in which case we differ.

stopdoingstuff

Personally I date it to 1916 but today is as good a day as any.

EUrJokingMeRight

Bloody nightmare.
I had a dream that we rid ourselves of forelock tugging servile cowards and we had a proud,, functioning and moral society.

I awoke and the forelock tugging servile cowards were running the show and we did not have a society as such but more of a human/food pyramid! Bloody nightmare, I could not agree more.

diaspora-mick

We ratified our independence on the 21st January did we not?
More or less I suppose.
At least it was a "declaration" of independence.

If you wanted to split hairs, I suppose you would have to say that the Dail ratified "the establishment of the Irish Republic" and took a pledge "to make this declaration effective by every means at our command".
Irish Declaration of Independence

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I would date it to the 16th January 1922, the day the IFS government took over Dublin Castle.

We really should have a day that celebrates us (at least nominally) becoming a republic.

Last edited:

diaspora-mick

I would date it to the 16th January 1922, the day the IFS government took over Dublin Castle.

WE really should have a day that celebrates us (at least nominally) becoming a republic.
:confused:

Surely you mean "a nominally self-governing Free State" ?
The republic ratified in 1919 had been disestablished at that point.

Little_Korean

Personally I date it to 1916 but today is as good a day as any.
Fintan O’Toole did an amusing article on that issue, the difficulty in defining the day for the Republic since it's been declared repeatedly.

Part of the problem is that Ireland declares itself a republic rather than striving to be one, he says. In fact, Ireland has declared a republic three times, in 1867, in 1916 and finally in 1948, through the Republic of Ireland Act, which came into force the following year.
The 1916 is a good start but the IRB had previously declared a republic, only to find that no one had noticed any change in affairs, and retconned themsevles in the Proclamation of the Republic in Easter 1916 when declaring it into existence again.

Of course, O'Toole is a journalist and so by nature something of a sh!t-stirrer - an interesting look at the issue all the same.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
:confused:

Surely you mean "a nominally self-governing Free State" ?
The republic ratified in 1919 had been disestablished at that point.
The problem is that there is no single day that all can agree that Ireland became an independent country. The day we became a republic on the other hand is undisputed. The Repubic of Ireland act came into force of April 18th 1949.