Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans

Ó Donnchadha

I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

Abraham Lincoln
President of the United States.

kerryind

Happy thanksgiving wish i was over there to get away from the gloom for a bit

Ó Donnchadha

Happy thanksgiving wish i was over there to get away from the gloom for a bit
Things will change, keep the faith. We are having hard times here also. Tomorrow we all visit our families, have a nice dinner, and give thanks for what we do have.

I had an interview this week, many didn't.

Slán go fóill

kerryind

good luck with that we have group interviews coming up in the ole office according to the 4 year plan should be interesting. Enjoy the big dinner

Ó Donnchadha

My American girlfriend refuses to celebrate it, thinks it is a celebrating genocide. I say nothing because i am not American...
Every country in the world has a history. We all have oppressed. We all fall short of the glory of God.

Thanksgiving was added as a holiday by Abraham Lincoln after the Civil war. It was to give thanks, after many many thousands died, during the Civil war.

It's origins may have been from the Mayflower, but your friend needs to read her history, and stop her guilt trip.

I have admiration for the first world peoples, which we call Indians. I cannot change what was done. Ireland wasn't created in a vacuum, the Celts have a history of war also.

My family on both sides came from Ireland. I was born here, I know what the British did to my family. We all have history.

But we should all give thanks, for what we do have, and seek to correct the wrongs.

kerryind

we all have pasts lets work towards a future together not race or nationality matters anymore money will be our downfall.

blackpitts

I'll be cooking a 20lb turkey tomorrow for my boyfriend's family. Fingers crossed it's fully defrosted in the morning or the day is quickly going to turn into a bad sitcom episode :)

Ó Donnchadha

we all have pasts lets work towards a future together not race or nationality matters anymore money will be our downfall.
Amen. Happy Thanks Giving :)

Ó Donnchadha

I'll be cooking a 20lb turkey tomorrow for my boyfriend's family. Fingers crossed it's fully defrosted in the morning or the day is quickly going to turn into a bad sitcom episode :)
:D Yes it is always a worry. My Mom used to slow cook hers, by getting up quite early, and laying slices of bacon over the Turkey, then putting it in the oven. The bacon allowed the skin to brown and crisp, plus it adds a nice flavor. I am sure you will do quite well. Gobble Gobble

kerryind

If you need any turkeys we can send you some we have 270 pound turkeys in good supply in dail eireann

Every country in the world has a history. We all have oppressed. We all fall short of the glory of God.

Thanksgiving was added as a holiday by Abraham Lincoln after the Civil war. It was to give thanks, after many many thousands died, during the Civil war.

It's origins may have been from the Mayflower, but your friend needs to read her history, and stop her guilt trip.

I have admiration for the first world peoples, which we call Indians. I cannot change what was done. Ireland wasn't created in a vacuum, the Celts have a history of war also.

My family on both sides came from Ireland. I was born here, I know what the British did to my family. We all have history.

But we should all give thanks, for what we do have, and seek to correct the wrongs.
I made the point that I (growing up in England) used to love Guy Fawkes night, despite its origins as an anti-Catholic Prodfest, simply because it is now about nothing more than burning and exploding stuff. But she has a point, it is still, essentially, a celebration of what was a catastrophe for the native peoples. She actually is very smart and knows her history inside out. Like I said, I am not American so I know better than to step into that particular quagmire when I go over (it's sooo different when an outsider says something about someone's country's traditions than when an, even very critical, native does). I just wish everyone there a lovely time with their families...

Ó Donnchadha

If you need any turkeys we can send you some we have 270 pound turkeys in good supply in dail eireann
No thanks, we have a whole Congress and Senate full of them.

Ó Donnchadha

I made the point that I (growing up in England) used to love Guy Fawkes night, despite its origins as an anti-Catholic Prodfest, simply because it is now about nothing more than burning and exploding stuff. But she has a point, it is still, essentially, a celebration of what was a catastrophe for the native peoples. She actually is very smart and knows her history inside out. Like I said, I am not American so I know better than to step into that particular quagmire when I go over (it's sooo different when an outsider says something about someone's country's traditions than when an, even very critical, native does). I just wish everyone there a lovely time with their families...

Ok thanks ;)

Tell your girlfriend I said hi.

Tiocfaidh Ár Lá

liamfoley

My American girlfriend refuses to celebrate it, thinks it is a celebrating genocide. I say nothing because i am not American...[/]

True, just see how Lincoln devastated the South, utter genocide.

McDave

For anyone with US links, it's actually a very pleasant event. A big meal on a day off work centred around family with none of the hype that to some extent spoils Christmas.

To all Americans in Ireland who are doing your turkey thing, enjoy yourselves! :)

Tiocfaidh_Armani

I really like Americans, nice, nice people. I'm a day late but enjoy your day :)

Arracht

We all fall short of the glory of God.

Which one?
Some on those Aztec ones were really brutal as was the one in Judeo/Christian old testament. I'm better than them, I never killed anyone petunia

Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

Tea Party Patriot

A thought on thanksgiving from Ayn Rand:

"Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday. In spite of its religious form (giving thanks to God for a good harvest), its essential, secular meaning is a celebration of successful production. It is a producers’ holiday. The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production. Abundance is (or was and ought to be) America’s pride..."

seanmacc

We're doing the thanksgiving dinner at the moment and hope to have it ready by six. You have no idea how difficult it is to get certain thanksgiving basics such as fresh cranberries and pumpkin mix over here.

New Threads

Most Replies