Hard border in Ireland.

McSlaggart

The Brexit deal will not mean a new border between NI and the rest of the UK, the NI secretary has insisted.

Brandon Lewis said: "We always said there will not be a border down the Irish Sea, there'll be unfettered access for business."

The conservatives are currently looking to have no border in the Irish sea. I think this is an understandable position but it will mean a border in Ireland. The question is how would you personally react to such a border being imposed?

In my case it will mean more trips to castlederg on the way to Donegal.

Levellers

The border issue has been settled. Johnson has a history of talking big and then backing down. He bad mouthed Theresa May's EU deal - and then signed a worse one!

AhNowStop

The border issue has been settled. Johnson has a history of talking big and then backing down. He bad mouthed Theresa May's EU deal - and then signed a worse one!
Yep, all hot air and just like his previous escapades his balloon will deflate

there is simply no way the Brits will commit economic suicide for Norn iron ...

they’re just saying it’s not a border but the checks and regulations will be there just as planned & signed up to

livingstone

The Brexit deal will not mean a new border between NI and the rest of the UK, the NI secretary has insisted.

Brandon Lewis said: "We always said there will not be a border down the Irish Sea, there'll be unfettered access for business."

The conservatives are currently looking to have no border in the Irish sea. I think this is an understandable position but it will mean a border in Ireland. The question is how would you personally react to such a border being imposed?

The Protocol is now in place in both international law and in domestic UK law.

UK courts will be obliged to apply relevant EU law - including the EU customs code -on goods moving from GB to NI. So let us say a particular check is required under EU law to be conducted at Larne port but the authorities in the UK fail to apply it, individuals or companies can sue in the UK courts to ensure that authorities comply with their obligations. UK courts will be able to order those authorities to comply with the law.

UK courts will be able to refer questions of interpretation of EU law to the ECJ if they need to (in some cases, they will be obliged to).

The European Commission will be able to initiate infringement proceedings against the UK for failure to comply with the Protocol which would be adjudicated by the ECJ.

There are any number of measures which prevent deviation from the Protocol as it stands. Oh, and remember ministers and civil servants are bound by the ministerial code to abide by the law. So any politician or adviser requiring or ordering civil servants to refuse to abide by the law can be told to sod off.

between the bridges

Competition time, submit yer grand design...

rump-border-wall-profit-wall-street-web-1510853806.jpg

McSlaggart

I honestly think Boris is trying to be clever. The problem is that he may end up putting himself in a position to which he will not want to be seen to have backed down.

Dame_Enda

Another example of why we urgently need a fulltime government. FF and FG need to end the pompous posturing. FG need to remove Leo as leader. He has led FG to their worst popular vote result since the 1940s.

I think a hard border is back on the agenda again, potentially.

McSlaggart

Competition time, submit yer grand design...
The last time the British used the lakes as a natural border. That sort of left the good old udr/B specials to die on the farms.

"
Boris Johnson vowed to preserve peace in Northern Ireland during diplomatic forays to Germany and France last week, saying “under no circumstances” would the UK put checks and controls on the border.

The prime minister’s reassurance did not reach the narrow lanes and hedgerows of County Fermanagh. Here it felt like the bad old days had already returned.

"

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

I wouldn't take much notice. It is just the Westminster lot trying to describe a narrative that suits them but which unsurprisingly has no basis in reality.

shiel

Another example of why we urgently need a fulltime government. FF and FG need to end the pompous posturing. FG need to remove Leo as leader. He has led FG to their worst popular vote result since the 1940s.

Brexiteers and their arse lickers have no problem tearing up any agreement that is signed with Paddy.

Paddy has had that for centuries.

Of course Brexiteers and their arse lickers will blame Paddy for the consequences.

AhNowStop

I honestly think Boris is trying to be clever. The problem is that he may end up putting himself in a position to which he will not want to be seen to have backed down.
Sure he's already done that umpteen times ... He'll just bluff & bluster his way out of it like he always does

shiel

Sure he's already done that umpteen times ... He'll just bluff & bluster his way out of it like he always does
The alternative is that this time next year we will be in the middle of an all out economic war and will have a hard border on this island.

CatullusV

If so, it will be directly breaking the withdrawal agreement which was signed by the British and approved in Parliament. They would be utterly foolish to renege so swiftly on such an agreement.

They might be capable of such utter idiocy, but I doubt that they would carry it through. They conceded that red line and they will be held to it.

shiel

If so, it will be directly breaking the withdrawal agreement which was signed by the British and approved in Parliament. They would be utterly foolish to renege so swiftly on such an agreement.

They might be capable of such utter idiocy, but I doubt that they would carry it through. They conceded that red line and they will be held to it.
They tore up agreements signed with Paddy down the centuries.

Do you think the present London administration is not capable of doing the same thing?

Watch what happens in the next few months.

Talk Back

Talk Back

They tore up agreements signed with Paddy down the centuries.

Do you think the present London administration is not capable of doing the same thing?

Watch what happens in the next few months.
See above.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom