Harland and Wolff

McSlaggart

The UK government has said that the crisis at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast is "ultimately a commercial issue".

Unions say the yard is at imminent risk of closure and have called for it to be nationalised.

A government spokesperson said there was "every sympathy for the workers". They added that the government will "do all it can" to offer support.

It is understood administrators are now expected to arrive on Monday.
The firm's Norwegian parent company Dolphin Drilling is having serious financial problems and put Harland and Wolff up for sale late last year.

There were exclusive negotiations with a potential buyer but they cooled in the last two weeks.

A History:

making waves

Workers at Harland and Wolfe have occupied the shipyard and demanded that it Ben renationalised.

Pyewacket

Workers at Harland and Wolfe have occupied the shipyard and demanded that it Ben renationalised.
You must be the only other person apart from me on POLITICS IE talking about this. They are all too interested in the USA.

Pyewacket

Who the hell do they think will "nationalize" H and W?

It won't be either the Brits or the Irish.

Eighty ****ing years too late.

death or glory

Well, this ****ing nonsense.

It is plain as a pike that the North's future is tourism and high end greenfield back services in a UI.

Let us out of this madness.
What utter dung.
A country that is cold and wet 8 months of the year.
Ask any hotel or tourist attraction in the countryside and they will tell you the tourist season is only a few months.

Pyewacket

What utter dung.
A country that is cold and wet 8 months of the year.
Ask any hotel or tourist attraction in the countryside and they will tell you the tourist season is only a few months.
I forgot your wee Great Grand Da Da was the man who ferget the rivet on the Titanic. :)

runwiththewind

I thought that place closed decades ago.

Sweet Darling

Well, this ****ing nonsense.

It is plain as a pike that the North's future is tourism and high end greenfield back services in a UI.

Let us out of this madness.
We are planning on turning it in to a 17th century theme park.
Students dressed as witch finder generals, Puritans with big floppy hat and bibles. ducking stools, etc. think "Jamestown" and in the urban areas we can do a hillbilly theme., moon shine Stills. barn dances, cousin fu3king, Dueling banjos, you get the idea. Won't cover the dole money but will help to off set it.

Pyewacket

We are planning on turning it in to a 17th century theme park.
Students dressed as witch finder generals, Puritans with big floppy hat and bibles. ducking stools, etc. think "Jamestown" and in the urban areas we can do a hillbilly theme., moon shine Stills. barn dances, cousin fu3king, Dueling banjos, you get the idea. Won't cover the dole money but will help to off set it.
Boris will save you.

I think you are actually stupid enough to believe that.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The ships were swapped.
Titanic never went to the bottom.
It's a well proven conspiracy theory
This looks interesting. Tell me more. Where did they hide the Titanic all these years. Was it behind some cardboard boxes.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
On a more serious note I was only thinking the other day- in what context I cannot recall- about the shipyards in Gdansk.

Considering that was the crucible in which the Soviet bloc of client states began to bubble up into resistance to Moscow and the eventual fall of the Berlin Wall, I wondered how those huge shipyards were doing these days.

Don't know much about the shipping world, perhaps a bit about container traffic, except to say it appears quite volatile in that it is subject to fluctuating oil prices, a bit like passenger aircraft sales, also subject to every buffeting of trade winds.

It has been a long time since I heard of a ship laid down in Harland and Wolff's yards or the Gdansk shipyards. I was a bit surprised to find H&W were still going, tbh.

For an industry wholly reliant on steel prices as well, the prognosis post-Brexit may not be that great unless a cheap supply of steel is to be had, oil prices hang low and an order book available.

Not wishing it on anyone but in fairness looking at what happened on the Clyde I suspect Harland & Wolff have done very well to keep going since.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies