Harney announces "initiative "... work for nothing

former wesleyan

Just heard on the RTE News.. Mary Harney has just launched a new initiative whereby teachers and others can work for nothing.

What a great idea and may it spread like a virus throughout the gubbermint.:D

ellie08

I saw that. Is she going do it? Good on her! In fact all the govt could do the same.

cricket

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse , they now rub the unemployeds' noses in it. If they are as patriotic as they claim , they should see out their remainding period in office ( short , I hope ) working for nothing. God knows it't the least they owe us.

lying eyes

Mary is a little confused -She does nothing and gets paid massively. Ergo all others should do plenty and get nothing .

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
It would be one thing if they were asking people to work for 2 days or whatever the equivalent of a decent hourly rate for their services was for what people receive on the dole but to ask people to do a 40 hour week for the dole doing the same work as others who are being paid a full-time salary is loo-lah stuff.

smallobear

Just heard on the RTE News.. Mary Harney has just launched a new initiative whereby teachers and others can work for nothing.

What a great idea and may it spread like a virus throughout the gubbermint.:D
Are you sure you don't mean Mary Coughlan? This is part of a FAS work experience scheme for the unemployed. Personally, if I was an unemplyed teacher, I'd rather be spending my time applying for jobs (there are a few available) and doing sub work

lonemother

Harney, initiative... in the same sentence?

charley

Saw it on the news . Its sweary Mary rather than Mary Mór. It is an extension of the WPP scheme into the public sector ,the teachers unions are not happy campers.

jmcc

Wasn't Harney just a school teacher?

Regards...jmcc

smallobear

This is quite hilarious. Here teachers! We're going to raise the teacher/pupil ratio, cut resource hours, cut TEFL hours and cut traveller assitance hours. The effect of this is that thousands of you (generally young and with a lifetime of a tax burden ahead of you due to our incompetence) will lose your jobs. What we are then going to do to the same people is make you work the same job for free. You see, it's fair then - it means you're not getting away with anything. It's all your fault for being unemployed in the first place, you see.

I can see huge resistance to this if it's implemented on a wide scale. I can't really see that happening though.

B

boo-boo

question

Heard about the plan on the news. One quick question, I wonder who is considered to be the legal "employer" then?

Anybody know how the Work placement scheme for private companies operates....whose considered the legal employer....any legal eagles that would care to throw some light on this matter....is it the Dept. of social protection as they continue to pay jobseekers to each "employee" which in essence makes jobseekers a wage....or is it the private company.....as jobseeker payments are now through policy being transformed into a form of remuneration for work....

What's the bet that this issue would become a big issue that private companies will use in the event that something happens in the workplace causing injury.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Sorry if it's the other wan.. the Donegal wan. Sometimes this stuff is so jaw-dropping I gets confused !!:confused:

Prester Jim

Wasn't Harney just a school teacher?

Regards...jmcc
No, she was a "Researcher" rather vague sounding job. sure it makes her qualified to run the health service though :p

Casillas

What wage is that 4.90/hr on the current dole payment, which the government intend to further reduce?

So, what? e4 an hour per teacher. Ridiculous! Utterly immoral.

PAD1OH

i know a fair people on the dole that volunteer in places to fill the day and offer something back.

I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting to fill the gaps in their c.v. with a bit of volunteering teaching.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies