• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Harney planning legislation to control use of sunbeds

david

Sunbeds are a total waste of time and resources.

But sure, legislate away. Sales of sunbeds for home use will probably go up!

Gladstone

Oh ffsake not more of this "it's for your own good we need to save you from yourselves" bullshit.

She should concentrate on solving our health crises!
Gobshite!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
What next, hire Mr. Burns to be a consultant in her latest sun-blocking scheme ?

I just listened to Mary Harney on the radio, and to be honest, this is another really stupid idea.

It will be

a. Illegal to sell sun-bed sessions commercially to under-16's

b. Not illegal to allow an under-16 to use a sun-bed in their own home

c. Not illegal to rent a sun-bed for ones own home, but then allow an under-16 to use it

or

d. Not illegal to get a natural tan from the sun

I can just imagine An Gardai arresting little orange faced Oompa Loompa's in their little wedding dresses on Holy Communion day, and grilling them over where they got their tans. :roll:

Mary Harney, time to go.

Gladstone

Don't get me wrong, I don't think kids should use them, but let their parents decide what their kids can and can't do and solve the real problems on your desk Mary instead of passing unenforcable and excessivly overreaching regulations.

The OD

More BSTDS,A* legislation. People who use sunbeds are not simply going to stop using them. What about the sun? What if Mr. Burns implements his sun shield program at her request? Maybe we shouldnt go out during the day at all?

Terribly pointless if you think about it? What would make more sense would be if they got their finger out and tried to do something about the price of suncreems which are still too expensive for all their inherent neccessity? Being a pasty Irish bloke with milkbottle skin, this would be a bigger issue to me IF WE GOT THE BLOODY WEATHER MORE OFTEN.......I blame FF meself, like.....

(Being Seen To Do Something, Anything) B*astards perhaps?

Gladstone

Oh and don't forget the EU draft directive banning builders from taking their shirts off...ya know in case they get skin cancer...it's for their own good you know :roll:

I didn't even know we granted them the power to draft such a directive.

farnaby

rockofcashel said:
little orange faced Oompa Loompa's :roll:
Also known as Johnny Cash's (Orange Blossom Special)

The OD

Gladstone said:
Oh and don't forget the EU draft directive banning builders from taking their shirts off...ya know in case they get skin cancer...it's for their own good you know :roll:

I didn't even know we granted them the power to draft such a directive.
And there was me wondering why things like the Nice treaty were sooooo transparent and easy to read. Having read the Nice treaty (yes, the whole thing) I came away from it with a bloody furrow scatched into the side of my head from the constant scratching as I read one inane chapter after the rest. I would imagine there is a lot that we are unaware of due to the rather arcane machinations of Big Brussels?

Gladstone

If your sugesting they MAKE it so complex that we don't realise what powers were granting them thats not an unreasonable argument.

Conor

Gladstone said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think kids should use them, but let their parents decide what their kids can and can't do and solve the real problems on your desk Mary instead of passing unenforcable and excessivly overreaching regulations.
What's so unenforcable about this?

Or for that matter, what's so overreaching? Legal restrictions on the accessibility of carcinogens to minors are hardly unprecedented.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Conor said:
Gladstone said:
What's so unenforcable about this?

Or for that matter, what's so overreaching? Legal restrictions on the accessibility of carcinogens to minors are hardly unprecedented.
:?:

Whats so unenforcable ?

How do you prove that the lovely tan Mary has, came courtesy of a commerically contracted sun-bed, rather than that big yellow ball in the sky Conor ?

Gladstone

If the objective is to stop young people doing damage to themselves due to excessive UV exposure this isn't going to stop that.

Secondly, it's a pathetic waste of police resources to invetigate something like this when we have thousands of unexecuted warrents out there for violent criminals.

farnaby

Thinking the breaking news report was narrow-minded headline-seeking reporting emphasising sunbeds over the announcement of Strategy for Cancer Control 2006 i checked the department of health announcement on the strategy.

http://www.dohc.ie/press/releases/2006/20060612.html

Regulating use of sunbeds is the first specific measure mentioned in the announcment, mentioned before breast screening, reform of treatment and investment - surely far more vital and far-reaching issues. Is this Harney's idea of prioritisation?

Conor

Gladstone said:
If the objective is to stop young people doing damage to themselves due to excessive UV exposure this isn't going to stop that.
I think the objective is to lessen the damage by limiting their access to sunbeds.

Gladstone said:
Secondly, it's a pathetic waste of police resources to invetigate something like this when we have thousands of unexecuted warrents out there for violent criminals.
Do the guards investigate retailers who sell cigarettes to under-18s?

(by the way, are you Gareth Keenan?)

Conor

rockofcashel said:
:?:

Whats so unenforcable ?

How do you prove that the lovely tan Mary has, came courtesy of a commerically contracted sun-bed, rather than that big yellow ball in the sky Conor ?
:|

Gladstone

Conor said:
Gladstone said:
I think the objective is to lessen the damage by limiting their access to sunbeds.

Gladstone said:
Do the guards investigate retailers who sell cigarettes to under-18s?

(by the way, are you Gareth Keenan?)
Just like limiting their access to drink stops them drinking yeh? :roll:

Conor

Gladstone said:
Just like limiting their access to drink stops them drinking yeh? :roll:
If you're proposing that minors should have unrestricted access to alcohol and/or tobacco, I'd be interested in hearing your arguments for it.

You still haven't said what's either unenforcable or overreaching about the proposed legislation (from what we know of it).

Gladstone

How exactly are they going to know if a 16 year old is getting a tan in a parlor?

Have gardi hanging around outside them?

My point about the alcohol was that banning something does not make it stop.

Conor

Gladstone said:
How exactly are they going to know if a 16 year old is getting a tan in a parlor?

Have gardi hanging around outside them?
How do they do it with cigarettes?

Gladstone said:
My point about the alcohol was that banning something does not make it stop.
Which is obviously not an argument against banning undesirable activities.

Unenforcable? Overreaching?