• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Harney wanted PD/FG merger

Marcos the black

'Harney wanted PD merger with Fine Gael' - National News - Independent.ie

According to the Sindo today this was Harney's preferred choice as she doubted the long term viability of the PD's!!!

Bullet well dodged by FG. Could you imagine McDowell trying to lay down the law in FG and then walking out in a hissy fit if he didn't get his way? FG have enough problems at the moment without the rag tag leftovers of the PD's being part of it.

I also think that FG would not have achieved as many seats in the last election if this had happened as it would have added to the "they're all the same" attitude that is so common at the moment. The PD's were disgraced by their toxic relationship with FF and it would have been crazy for FG to touch them.

What do you think?

Edit: on a hypothetical point if FG and the PD's had merged in 2002/2003 FF would have needed a different coalition partner... Who could they have gone with? Would FF still have been in power had this happened?

Last edited:

Analyzer

Did IBEC fully sanction the move ?

Presumably, they were in favour of their political wing continuing to have some presence in the Dail ?

realistic1

According to the Sindo today this was Harney's preferred choice as she doubted the long term viability of the PD's!!!

Bullet well dodged by FG. Could you imagine McDowell trying to lay down the law in FG and then walking out in a hissy fit if he didn't get his way? FG have enough problems at the moment without the rag tag leftovers of the PD's being part of it.

I also think that FG would not have achieved as many seats in the last election if this had happened as it would have added to the "they're all the same" attitude that is so common at the moment. The PD's were disgraced by their toxic relationship with FF and it would have been crazy for FG to touch them.

What do you think?
This is really what happened. Where do you think all the PDs members and supporters are?

Boy M5

This stuff about Mater Harney wanting this merger was in McDowell's interview with La Finucane yesterday. Yes FG got off lightly.

wombat

According to the Sindo who are repeating what McDowell said to Finucane. Think of it - a major story about what the former leader of a defunct political party told another member of the party, the world must be a lot duller than I thought if this is news.:lol:

Marcos the black

This stuff about Mater Harney wanting this merger was in McDowell's interview with La Finucane yesterday. Yes FG got off lightly.
Yes I know it was, it's referenced in the article. Is there a thread on this already? Apologies if there is, Mods, can you merge? Thanks.

Marcos the black

According to the Sindo who are repeating what McDowell said to Finucane. Think of it - a major story about what the former leader of a defunct political party told another member of the party, the world must be a lot duller than I thought if this is news.:lol:
Yes and no. While the party is now defunct at the time they held the balance of power. Had they joined with FG Bertie's 3 term disastrous "governance" of the country may not have happened, and both the political and economic landscape of the country might have been greatly different than it is today.

Analyzer

Yes and no. While the party is now defunct at the time they held the balance of power. Had they joined with FG Bertie's 3 term disastrous "governance" of the country may not have happened, and both the political and economic landscape of the country might have been greatly different than it is today.
No. Instead of Ahern leading a government of wasters, we would have had an FG led government of wasters.

IBEC would still have had a seat at the cabinet, courtesy of their political organ grinder monkey.

And IBEC would have still ensured that the country was led into the abyss.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Far better for the PDs to dissolve than get involved with a group of idiots like FG. It took a quarter of a century for the people to trust FG with government, after the years of FitzGerald's incompetence. And based on the government approval ratings, it's taken less than two years for the electorate to have buyers response for opting for Kenny and the current generation of FG clowns.

The lesson for the PDs was obvious; having seen their three main raisons d'etre implemented (accountability, social reform and tax reductions) their work was done. After that, there was little to differentiate them for FF or FG, so they should have left the stage in 2007. The other alternative was to become the voice of the growing Euro-sceptic element within the electorate.

Longevity isn't a sign of success in politics. Getting a mandate to govern and implementing your policies is. And for the time they were around the PDs were far far more successful than FG.

Last edited:

reddymix

What do you think?

Edit: on a hypothetical point if FG and the PD's had merged in 2002/2003 FF would have needed a different coalition partner... Who could they have gone with? Would FF still have been in power had this happened?
PDs have largely merged into FF in our part of the woods.

Eoin Coir

I think talks did take place , was there some not some senior counsel PD called O Higgins in talks with FG. I think Mullah McDool was a block (again) over name of new merger parties.Guys like your man in Galway, Grealish, where PDs were mostly ex FF, Marty Cullen etc would not be happy either. FG had a lucky escape,and it was probably Keeny's wise judgment to steer a wide berth. Likes of late Jim Mitchell would probably be in favour.

Sierra

A merger was effectively achieved after the PD's wound down.

PDs have largely merged into FF in our part of the woods.
Not around my area! Clearly evident when you examine which way the PD TD's went also.

Analyzer

Did the FG discuss if they would be able to make room to fit in Sumo and pals ?

wombat

I remember after the 2002 election that there were articles in the Sindo suggesting that since there was no future for FG that the PD's should stage a takeover. Mind you, the same writers reckoned that Kenny was a fool to think he could rebuild his party.

Mrwoody

Mcdool was not asked anything about bank regulation or the build up of the property bubble which all happened on his watch, it was the usual soft RTE interview.

Samell

So it was Mary's plan all along, support the FF and screw up the health service so much that we would be forced to vote FG in to power.

Wow you really got to admire the woman's forward planning!

Marcos the black

I remember after the 2002 election that there were articles in the Sindo suggesting that since there was no future for FG that the PD's should stage a takeover. Mind you, the same writers reckoned that Kenny was a fool to think he could rebuild his party.
I remember that too. And they were a very clever bunch... Even came up with names like "Inda" and "Kenny Lite". Such intellectual powerhouses..

Eoin Coir

I remember that too. And they were a very clever bunch... Even came up with names like "Inda" and "Kenny Lite". Such intellectual powerhouses..
Yes, smart ass Drennan and Jody Corcoran led the charge. And V Browne also, I remember an article by him in SBP saying all FG needed were last rites to make sure they were dead.

politico24

The same hacks who think we now have an 'awful government' and share column space with impartial writers such as O'Dea and Larkin?

How the heck does that rag still have any credibility? I guess FF still has enough voters to keep it going as a viable paper.

politico24

Far better for the PDs to dissolve than get involved with a group of idiots like FG. It took a quarter of a century for the people to trust FG with government, after the years of FitzGerald's incompetence. And based on the government approval ratings, it's taken less than two years for the electorate to have buyers response for opting for Kenny and the current generation of FG clowns.

The lesson for the PDs was obvious; having seen their three main raisons d'etre implemented (accountability, social reform and tax reductions) their work was done. After that, there was little to differentiate them for FF or FG, so they should have left the stage in 2007. The other alternative was to become the voice of the growing Euro-sceptic element within the electorate.

Longevity isn't a sign of success in politics. Getting a mandate to govern and implementing your policies is. And for the time they were around the PDs were far far more successful than FG.
Your obsession with the FitzGerald government proves you are a died in the wool FFer when the only alternative to that government was an FF party led by a brazen, populist crook that had just bankrupt the country before FitzGerald took power. FitzGerald, and some within FF, genuinely feared what would happen if his government collapsed and Haughey got to government with an overall majority. Thankfully when he returned to power it was as a minority government and later a coalition.

The rest of your post is just biased anti-FG, the same kind of stuff you always come out with. 'FG idiots'? I suppose FF governments that have always left FG with a mess to clean up are geniuses are they?