Harry Hamilton quits UUP

Antrim

Freddie Mercury impersonator Harry Hamilton quits UUP.

Mr Hamilton said he was keeping "an open mind" about the future but would be open to an approach from the Alliance party.

Mickeymac

Freddie Mercury impersonator Harry Hamilton quits UUP.

Mr Hamilton said he was keeping "an open mind" about the future but would be open to an approach from the Alliance party.

Anyone else remaining in that sinking ship will drown come elections....end of.

Aristodemus

Big House unionism looks finished

picador

Seems like a decent character - abit politically naive maybe. I say that as it appears a journalist managed to put some words in his mouth about joining the Alliance Party.

Stephen Ferguson

If he joins Alliance alongside former UUPer Paula Bradshaw the party will have to drop it's 'we aren't Unionists' line....

They obviously are.

picador

There was a UUP party political broadcast on tonight. Farmer Elliot featured large. It reminded me of being back in primary school - when the teacher asked the slow boy to read. Elliot makes Enda Kenny appear charismatic.

DerryBee

I do not know if anyone else watched Tom Elliott’s performance on the BBC’s Hearts and Minds last night with a rather easy going Noel Thompson. The interview was, in my opinion, abysmal and demonstrated Elliott’s uninspiring and weak leadership of the Ulster Unionist Party. What made the performance even more unfortunate was the fact that Peter Robinson’s strong, confident and positive speech at the successful DUP conference last week was still fresh in my mind: thereby highlighting the glaring chasm between Tom Elliott and Peter Robinson, the former coming across as a directionless political novice and the latter cool, calm and forward looking.

Although Elliott may be regarded as a decent person, his lack of charisma, confidence and control are simply a barrier to progress and any potential to inspire disaffected voters. Robinson, like him or loathe him, has, in recent months, clearly grown as a leader and now exudes a positive, constructive and dare I say an increasingly likeable persona and approach to power-sharing with Sinn Fein.

I fail to see how Elliott can compete either with Robinson’s political cunning or the resurgent nature of the DUP. What has struck me about Tom Elliott’s recent response to the DUP’s conference and Peter Robinson’s clear attempts to move the DUP into the centre ground of local politics is that he has effectively come across as a petulant child bemoaning the fact that even though his party has been around for over 100 years it simply isn’t fair that the former bully on the block is now bossing the scene. Elliott seems unable to realise that it is the very nature of politics that the big spider in the house wants to gobble up the little flies in its web...so to say...:oops:

Elliott's strange response to Robinson's speech (which led to accusations that he has a 'persecution complex') and his petulant annoyance that his party are no longer the big boys up at the house on the hill just strikes me as being niave.

Moreover, Elliott’s remarks on Hearts and Minds last night that there would never have been an executive and no return to power-sharing had it not been for the UUP (perhaps he forgot about the SDLP!) are simply non-constructive: potential voters do not want to hear as much about a party’s past as they do about their future. In this sense, the UUP really need to stop living in the past and move forward in a confident and positive manner. I fail to see how Elliott can possibly achieve such an immense, if not impossible task.

vinoboy

UUP is rudderless ship ,some good local politicians, Tom is not a leader.For Robbo to come back from this year is nothing short of amazing , his cold personality replaced with self deprecation , humour and humanity is impressive.My sources tell me that on the hill he leaves all standing in his wake with his forensic mind and knowledge of business . These sources are from nationalist side , by the way .Mind you , in land of blind , one eyed man is king .

DerryBee

UUP is rudderless ship ,some good local politicians, Tom is not a leader.For Robbo to come back from this year is nothing short of amazing , his cold personality replaced with self deprecation , humour and humanity is impressive.My sources tell me that on the hill he leaves all standing in his wake with his forensic mind and knowledge of business . These sources are from nationalist side , by the way .Mind you , in land of blind , one eyed man is king .
I agree entirely Vinoboy: the only question is how long it will take for the Ulster Unionist Party to wake up and realise that Tom Elliott is not the man to revive their dwindling political fortunes. In regards to your comments concerning Peter Robinson, I too am similarly amazed at his remarkable transformation in recent months, which should surely prove popular with disaffected voters. My view of Peter Robinson has dramatically changed in recent months and certainly many of my nationalist friends are rapidly reassessing their views of Robinson from a previously indifferent approach to a much more favourable view. In spite of Elliott’s rather weak attempt to discredit the power-sharing arrangements between the Democratic Unionist Party and Sinn Fein, many people are now increasingly viewing the positive and constructive relationship between Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness as a mark of significant progress and hope for the future.

By the way, it must be nice to have some ‘spies’ at Stormont: I am a shameless sucker for tidbits on our First and Deputy First Ministers…:oops:

If you have anyother 'insider' information in regards to the general view of both Robinson and McGuinness on a personal level from Stormont, it would be very much appreciated! :D

picador

I do not know if anyone else watched Tom Elliott’s performance on the BBC’s Hearts and Minds last night with a rather easy going Noel Thompson. The interview was, in my opinion, abysmal and demonstrated Elliott’s uninspiring and weak leadership of the Ulster Unionist Party. What made the performance even more unfortunate was the fact that Peter Robinson’s strong, confident and positive speech at the successful DUP conference last week was still fresh in my mind: thereby highlighting the glaring chasm between Tom Elliott and Peter Robinson, the former coming across as a directionless political novice and the latter cool, calm and forward looking.

Although Elliott may be regarded as a decent person, his lack of charisma, confidence and control are simply a barrier to progress and any potential to inspire disaffected voters. Robinson, like him or loathe him, has, in recent months, clearly grown as a leader and now exudes a positive, constructive and dare I say an increasingly likeable persona and approach to power-sharing with Sinn Fein.

I fail to see how Elliott can compete either with Robinson’s political cunning or the resurgent nature of the DUP. What has struck me about Tom Elliott’s recent response to the DUP’s conference and Peter Robinson’s clear attempts to move the DUP into the centre ground of local politics is that he has effectively come across as a petulant child bemoaning the fact that even though his party has been around for over 100 years it simply isn’t fair that the former bully on the block is now bossing the scene. Elliott seems unable to realise that it is the very nature of politics that the big spider in the house wants to gobble up the little flies in its web...so to say...:oops:

Elliott's strange response to Robinson's speech (which led to accusations that he has a 'persecution complex') and his petulant annoyance that his party are no longer the big boys up at the house on the hill just strikes me as being niave.

Moreover, Elliott’s remarks on Hearts and Minds last night that there would never have been an executive and no return to power-sharing had it not been for the UUP (perhaps he forgot about the SDLP!) are simply non-constructive: potential voters do not want to hear as much about a party’s past as they do about their future. In this sense, the UUP really need to stop living in the past and move forward in a confident and positive manner. I fail to see how Elliott can possibly achieve such an immense, if not impossible task.
Didn't see last nights interview (though I witnessed tonight's PPB). Agree entirely with what you say about Elliot. The UUP faithful knew all this when they elected him. This shows 1. the dearth of talent in the UUP 2. how afraid they were of Basil McCrea. As for Robbo you have to admire him - he is the sharpest operator in unionist politics by far.

Antrim

So he wants to break free?
The Belfast Telegraph must read P.ie, they had this for the title of their article about this, well they had Why Flash Harry wants to break free… and with the whole catalogue of song titles from Queen the Irish news choose: Latest defection a blow for leader. They could of at least said ‘Another one bites the dust for the UUP’.

Antrim

If he joins Alliance alongside former UUPer Paula Bradshaw the party will have to drop it's 'we aren't Unionists' line....

They obviously are.
The Alliance party aren’t Unionist, they are moderate and liberal, although with all the defections happening lately one could well think they are. What the Alliance party needs now is a few defections from the SDLP to balance the ship.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies