• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Harry Potter is great literature, something we should all read for a better cultural experience.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
Harry Potter compares to "the greats" as writing style compares to time. Older literature is more informal and the writers had a need to distance themselves from emotional writing so they could remain objective. Contemporary writers are able to use words and font in more artistic ways, such as using all caps or multiples exclamation points. Another huge difference is how old "the greats" are and why they are the greats. They are because of sales, marketing, and scholarly examination. Harry Potter will eventually be included because of these reasons.

Harry Potter has grown a cult-like following. It has made the first ever billionaire author. It has made the first ever massive, corporately owned theme park based on a book. It has changed the style if writing by drastically decreasing the formality of the author/reader relationship. It has inspired writers, musicians, bloggers, artists. It has replaced some people's method of learning morals where religion once played a huge part. It has proven that children can maintain their attention span to read books publishers thought were too long. And it has made a whole generation believe in magic.

Harry Potter, the series is clearly comparable to other books we consider great literature now: Charles Dickens, Jane Austen. Books written with an audience in mind, books written to appeal to a great number of people. The intent of these books is identical.

Harry Potter has also transformed the reading lives of thousands,it has transformed non-readers into avid readers. Which it still does.

In years to come will Harry Potter be remembered with the greats like Shakespeare and are we lucky to enjoy this cultural shift in our time?

Accidental sock

Who?

between the bridges

Harry Potter encouraged kids to read, that is 'great' literature...

GDPR

God it only seems like yesterday The King was begging me to send him some of my used panties through the post ...

Its nice to see he has found another hobby :)

Mad as Fish

Not just kids, i have just completed the whole set for a 2nd time.
That really does explain a great deal about your posts.

4horsemen

Harry Potter compares to "the greats" as writing style compares to time. Older literature is more informal and the writers had a need to distance themselves from emotional writing so they could remain objective. Contemporary writers are able to use words and font in more artistic ways, such as using all caps or multiples exclamation points. Another huge difference is how old "the greats" are and why they are the greats. They are because of sales, marketing, and scholarly examination. Harry Potter will eventually be included because of these reasons.

Harry Potter has grown a cult-like following. It has made the first ever billionaire author. It has made the first ever massive, corporately owned theme park based on a book. It has changed the style if writing by drastically decreasing the formality of the author/reader relationship. It has inspired writers, musicians, bloggers, artists. It has replaced some people's method of learning morals where religion once played a huge part. It has proven that children can maintain their attention span to read books publishers thought were too long. And it has made a whole generation believe in magic.

Harry Potter, the series is clearly comparable to other books we consider great literature now: Charles Dickens, Jane Austen. Books written with an audience in mind, books written to appeal to a great number of people. The intent of these books is identical.

Harry Potter has also transformed the reading lives of thousands,it has transformed non-readers into avid readers. Which it still does.

In years to come will Harry Potter be remembered with the greats like Shakespeare and are we lucky to enjoy this cultural shift in our time?
I was reading and anticipating some question marks but don't appear to have any doubts do you?

Dadaist

You could have just said that the books are a really good read, no?

What do the books tell us about the human condition, for example? You know, something for which great literature is renowned for.

Last edited:

Polly Ticks

In a world in which the novel is granted lower social and artistic status than used toilet paper, I am delighted to see ANY book generate so much excitement (even if a lot of that is a combination of corporate marketing and sheep-like consumer culture).

Socratus O' Pericles

I thought the books a little far fetched.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
The books themselves are a work of genius, they start of aimed at a target audience and as the audience grows in age the books become darker at grow with the person.

Of course they are a great read for anyone, and like others I had thought them to be mere childrens tales, but I can assure anyone who has not read them that they are a story for any generation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies