• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Has Alan Shatter used access to personal files to smear rivals

Should Alan Shatter resign now over the Mick Wallace disclosure?

• Yes

Votes: 307 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • Wait until the SIPO and Data Protection investigations report

Votes: 63 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maothail Lad

Justice Minister Alan Shatter and Mick Wallace were on Prime Time last night to talk about the penalty points report and the appearance of Commissioner Martin Callinan at a Public Accounts Committee meeting earlier that day.
During the chat, Mr Shatter accused Mr Wallace of having been stopped by the gardaí last May.
He said – with the authority of someone who may have actually seen a file on the subject – that Mr Wallace was on his phone while driving.

Now apart from him putting a rivals personal record in the public domain, is it not wrong for the minister to know specific cases? Is this a breach of data protection? and what sort of access has the minister to citizens personal information?

How Did He Know? | Broadsheet.ie

ger12

Neither politician comes out smelling of roses.

linny55

It sure looked like , hope it leads to his downfall but knowing this Govt. that's highly unlikely.

deepness

Have no time for Wallace, but Shatter was a disgrace last night on PT. He just oozes arrogance and just doesn't give a crap.

'orebel

This is actually a bit worrying.
Not only that the minister is using the gardai to dig up dirt on his opponent but that he thought it appropriate to broadcast an unproven alleged offence on the national airwaves.

ger12

This is actually a bit worrying.
Not only that the minister is using the gardai to dig up dirt on his opponent but that he thought it appropriate to broadcast an unproven alleged offence on the national airwaves.
A bit worrying? Minister shatter has been of considerable worry for some time 'orebel. ;)

ger12

All of which may or may not be true (I don't know) but that should not deflect that the minister for justice smeared his name publicly and released private information into the public domain with little care of data protection regulation, and there is issues whether or not the minister should have been privy to such information in the first place. The minister should not be trawling private documents for dirt to smear rivals
Mick wasn't too concerned last night. On reflection, he may change his view perhaps.

Sync

If Wallace was smart (I don't think he is) he could push this some way. Shatter's made a criminal allegation against him where no conviction or charge has followed. He's referencing an unrecorded incident with unnamed Gardai that Wallace, while not denying it, says he doesn't remember (which of course could be the classic "I Don't recall your honour" thing).

I've seen people sued for less.

He made the allegation live on 'Prime Time' during which both were debating the controversy over cancellation of penalty points with host Pat Kenny.

But Mr Wallace said: "That's news to me, I don't remember it."

It is understood Mr Shatter was referring to an incident in North Dublin, when Mr Wallace was allegedly stopped and warned verbally but not given any formal sanction.

A garda source said there was nothing recorded on the system, and it was "bizarre" that it should be raised by Mr Shatter. However, he said it would not have been necessary to record any incident in which a garda used his discretion in this way.
Interestingly enough of course the Indo are now stating that they had a garda look up this man's record, provide them with information on that record when there was no official requirement for them to do so. Data Protection issues there as well.

Now....if I were Wallace, I would engage in some mature reflection here. People don't forget being pulled over by Gardai and warned over their use of phones. If it happened, fine, Shatter's a jerk, let it go. If you weren't pulled over then personally I'd take action.

Of course Wallace (Not being smart at all) stated: "Wallace: “I’m not, I’m not remotely worried about what the minister knows.” which A: Indicates there's something to know and B: damages any future claim that Shatter shouldn't have behaved like this.

Last edited:

Porkypie

Neither politician comes out smelling of roses.
A breach of the protection of data act is a very serious offence and in some cases have seen some tough penalties.
Possession of a mobile phone (in hand) is a much lesser offence but don't let that get in your way of fairness.

cathalbrugha

Mick Wallace is a failed property developer, a tax evader. He is dodging bankruptcy and sleeping with another man's wife. The only person he could rival is a chimp.
Pure quality..

zakalwe1

almost fell of the chair when i heard it...
in fairness to the taxcheat, he batted it away with indifference rather than making a political point about it....indeed, pat kenny had to bring it up again to ask his opinion.

the whole report is flawed.
if they select a sample of quashed points, and say that (example) 100 of the 2000 sampled had no comments/backup and these were investigated and no corruption/crime was committed (even though 3 high ranking officers will be disciplined)...then you cannot extrapolate to the full population (circa 10,000) with 100% confidence that no corruption/crime was committed.
until the full amount of quashed points is investigated thoroughly there is a smell of suspicion hanging over this whole event.
it stinks of a govt coverup.

Verhofstadt

Website
Could be a stinker this.. not clever at all by Shatter. Could be his unravelling.

Interesting to see how the weekend radio news and Sunday papers deal with it.

ruserious

Strange. Shatter normally doesn't leave himself open for a broadside. But does Wallace have the capabilities to fire at him?

cathalbrugha

Justice Minister Alan Shatter and Mick Wallace were on Prime Time last night to talk about the penalty points report and the appearance of Commissioner Martin Callinan at a Public Accounts Committee meeting earlier that day.
During the chat, Mr Shatter accused Mr Wallace of having been stopped by the gardaí last May.
He said – with the authority of someone who may have actually seen a file on the subject – that Mr Wallace was on his phone while driving.

Now apart from him putting a rivals personal record in the public domain, is it not wrong for the minister to know specific cases? Is this a breach of data protection? and what sort of access has the minister to citizens personal information?

How Did He Know? | Broadsheet.ie
It's actually hard to feel sorry for him. He won't even stand up to Shatter.

Alan Shatter: “As Deputy Wallace knows, even without…in issuing tickets, the Gardaí exercised discretion. Deputy Wallace himself was stopped with a mobile, on a mobile phone last May, by members of An Garda Síochána and he was advised by the guard who stopped him that a fixed ticket charge could issue and you would be, he could be given penalty points. But the garda apparently, as I’m advised…”

Pat Kenny: “Used his discretion.”

Shatter: “Used his discretion and warned him and told him not to do it again.”

Pat Kenny: “Mick? Mick? The guard used his discretion?”

Kenny: “By the way, are you not concerned that the minister should know about your private business dealing with the Gardaí?”

Wallace: “I’m not, I’m not remotely worried about what the minister knows.”

Why should we give a hoots about Wallace? He clearly doesn't get it><He's Blond! Kenny egging him on to bits and he shrugs it off. That's just as shocking. He's supposed to be the opposition? It's beyond comedy tbh.

Seanie Lemass

Shatter is a nasty piece of work. Classic south Dublin arrogant Blueshirt of the type they've been clever enough to keep hidden mostly for the past 40 years but every so often one of them escapes.

His refusal to allow the men who protect him from having a p1ss in his house sums him up. He oozes contempt for anyone who is not of the Dublin faux haute bourgeoisie.