• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Has any poster here ever ran in an election?

jmcc

I think it does ban by cookie, that is very simply and easily done. You cant ban by IP because they will change daily anyway, with most service providers. Log off and log on again, and your IP address will have switched.
Not true in the case of many ISPs. They assign IP addresses for days or sometimes even weeks. Back in days of dial-up modems, a new IP was assigned for each call. If people are using a business account then the IP will generally be the one assigned to the business by the ISP.

GDPR

Not true in the case of many ISPs. They assign IP addresses for days or sometimes even weeks. Back in days of dial-up modems, a new IP was assigned for each call. If people are using a business account then the IP will generally be the one assigned to the business by the ISP.
Like I said, thats the perils of accessing Pie from work.

My provider wanders all over the place. Im thinking of jacking him in and getting another bloke.

Dermot Lacey

Eh I was Lord Mayor in 2002-2003 - not even sure that Politics.ie was there at time. Anyway I have been re-elected in 2004, 2009 and 2014 since then so reckon I am doing something right. Already looking forward to 2019 campaign.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I think Potter was a triumph of marketing. It wont be repeated for a while.
It was also incredibly derivative, there was barely an ounce of originality in it.

I read it to my daughter as a child, she is now a young adult and a voracious reader and she credits the books for that (the reading, she did the whole growing up thing all by herself).

West-Cork

I don't believe the site bans by IP, only by username.
It can, and does, do both. If I go to pie using the built-in VPN in the Opera Browser it occasionally blocks any access to the site with "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here".

Just tested it right now, IP 188.166.87.145 - Blocked. Can't even view the site, not to mention login.

GDPR

It can, and does, do both. If I go to pie using the built-in VPN in the Opera Browser it occasionally blocks any access to the site with "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here".

Just tested it right now, IP 188.166.87.145 - Blocked. Can't even view the site, not to mention login.
Well thats like Tor, I suppose. That routes traffic through a number of other nodes and its possible the one your query emerges on does have a banned IP. Luck of the draw.

Try again. Sometimes sites ban known proxies, too. But I just cant see Pie being that on the ball.

West-Cork

Well thats like Tor, I suppose. That routes traffic through a number of other nodes and its possible the one your query emerges on does have a banned IP. Luck of the draw.

Try again. Sometimes sites ban known proxies, too. But I just cant see Pie being that on the ball.
Yep, I normally connect with a different browser, or the VPN turned off. I suspect one of the mods probably banned a particular user and the IP address (or part of) associated with them at the time, possibly not realising it was a VPN connection? Anyway, no big deal but just confirming they do seem to look at IPs as well.

artfoley56

Anyway I have been re-elected in 2004, 2009 and 2014 since then so reckon I am doing something right. .
the people have spoken, the b@stards !! :D :D

fair play for not hiding behind a username though

GDPR

Yep, I normally connect with a different browser, or the VPN turned off. I suspect one of the mods probably banned a particular user and the IP address (or part of) associated with them at the time, possibly not realising it was a VPN connection? Anyway, no big deal but just confirming they do seem to look at IPs as well.
Banning IPs always runs the risk you ban someone else who shares it, eg in the same rented accommodation, or a family member etc who is guiltless.

And there are so many ways you can just re-register after being banned.

The best line of defence is Mod spidey-senses. The mask always slips.

GDPR

M16 doesnt have thousands of people monitoring this site.

Its just me and rainmaker.

A Voice

M16 doesnt have thousands of people monitoring this site.

Its just me and rainmaker.
If you ban someone by IP who's posting from an org with a proxy, the only IP addy you see is the proxy's. Anyone else from that org who posts to p.ie will be subject to the same ban.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
"The best line of defence is Mod spidey-senses. The mask always slips."

Ah Comrade, now you will be telling us a David Icke like conspiracy is at the heart of P,ie !!:shock: lol

jmcc

Some IP ranges (a number of IP addresses allocated to a business or user) are the source of problematic activity and some admins will deep six the entire range. In this case it is a US owned range in Holland.

Degeneration X

They all used to post on here, (or at least the one's I know of) before they discovered twitter - the block function was simply too irresistible it enables them to spend time on the internet and not have anyone intrude on their cosy bubble with anything like reality.

Dermot Lacey

the people have spoken, the b@stards !! :D :D

fair play for not hiding behind a username though
I always made clear who I was even as "Cllr". I dont understand why a Public Representative would engage in debate and then hide who they were...makes no sense to me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies