Has Brazil winning the 2016 Olympic Games damaged America`s recovery?

Watching Obama today he made a very strong plea to host the Olympic games.

Was he hoping America would win the hosting so he could embark on a massive building programme to stimulate the economy?

Will this damage America or not really matter?

Lloyd-Apjohn

Rubbish there was never a hope in hell of them going to the US or Europe - in 2020 they'll go to Cape Town. There is no need for a Summer Olympics to be in Europe until at least 2028

Fraggle

I'd have thought having the Olympics in an american country would speed it's recovery.

Cassandra Syndrome

Was he hoping America would win the hosting so he could embark on a massive building programme to stimulate the economy?

What recovery? If they have allocated 25 Trillion dollars to save the financial system from collapse thats still not working, hosting the olympics would be a liability to them.

England's economy is going down the tube, and they have their's in 3 years time.

What recovery? If they have allocated 25 Trillion dollars to save the financial system from collapse thats still not working, hosting the olympics would be a liability to them.

England's economy is going down the tube, and they have their's in 3 years time.

Ive heard a few people say that without the Olympics Britains une,ployment would and should be a lot higher.

I even think a lot of the Irish have gone over there to work aswell.

atlantic

Got it in one Bi ciuin thats exactly what he was hoping for,didn't work.It makes him look bad ,like the meddler that he is.

Young Ned

Chicago spent 30 million dollars on their bid. Its an obscene waste. Chicago is an industrial waste land. Brazil is up and coming and has beaches. No contest.
Yeah, and a lot of that money went to pay people who lived in Chicago. Not having the Olympics won't harm a recovery; it just won't help. There's a big difference..

atlantic

Spot on there cactus,and it will help to clean up some of the Ghetto areas,people will get nicer places to live .
Chicago spent 30 million dollars on their bid. Its an obscene waste. Chicago is an industrial waste land. Brazil is up and coming and has beaches. No contest.

Cassandra Syndrome

Ive heard a few people say that without the Olympics Britains une,ployment would and should be a lot higher.

I even think a lot of the Irish have gone over there to work aswell.
Yeah, good point. It will add to th multiplier. Somethings being produced, people are earning incomes etc.
If the Olympics was 6 years ago for the UK it would be a windfall. But all that construction is being funded by a broke treasury trying to borrow its way out of trouble. Come 2012 England could be bankrupt and behind schedule, not able to pay the contractors.

borntorum

Interesting article here, I think. I would still class myself as an Obama fan, but it's amazing how quickly the sheen has come off him.

There has been a growing narrative taking hold about Barack Obama’s presidency in recent weeks: that he is loved by many, but feared by none; that he is full of lofty vision, but is actually achieving nothing with his grandiloquence.
Chicago’s dismal showing today, after Mr Obama’s personal, impassioned last-minute pitch, is a stunning humiliation for this President. It cannot be emphasised enough how this will feed the perception that on the world stage he looks good — but carries no heft.

Panopticon

Yeah, good point. It will add to th multiplier. Somethings being produced, people are earning incomes etc.
If the Olympics was 6 years ago for the UK it would be a windfall. But all that construction is being funded by a broke treasury trying to borrow its way out of trouble. Come 2012 England could be bankrupt and behind schedule, not able to pay the contractors.
It really depends whether that public money would be spent anyway.

A lot of art/sport projects in London and elsewhere are not going ahead, because the budgeted money is being sent to East London instead.

andrejsv

It will HELP the US economy by not wasting billions of dollars on beautifications projects for Chicago. Chicago politicians have a bad reputation of being corrupt so there is also the big possibility that had the Olympics been there corruption aand government waste would have been rampant.

I think we got lucky on that one. I am glad it will not be held in Chicago.

DizzyOC

Chicago came last because a the bid was the work of a tv station who intended to run the games as a business enterprise and keep all of the profit. so they were voted down straight away. the chicago bid completely missed the point of the spirit in which the games should be held - the greenback runs a lot - but not everything, some things can't be bought. i think their bid only gained 19 votes in total.

obamarama never should have attached himself to it, and those who had a vote would never cast them in the direction of commercial profit.

Horace Horse

I got this wrong a couple of days back. I said that tho I favoured Brazil I could not believe that Obama would associate himself with a losing effort.

Very glad to be wrong, though as someone who wishes Obama well I am worried about his poor judgment in going to Denmark.

On the other hand, a denial of Rio would have stoked anti-American sentiment in Latin America.

I for one am delighted Brazil one it.

But i am shocked America didnt.

Why? The Olympics Committee likes diversity and I don't think they've ever had the olympics in South America.

Because of Obama.

At the start of the year everyone wanted to be seen with Obama, I just thought that would be carried along with this.

But it looks like America and Obama are starting to realsie how big this world is.

I wonder how long it will be before oil is traded in Euro`s?

Horace Horse

I love America, but there is something unpleasant about American nationalism.

For instance, a poll today says that 61% of Americans want war with Iran.

In what other nation in the world would you get over 60% of the people wanting a war?

Particularly when it's a war against a country which 80% of them couldn't locate on a globe.

It's time for Americans to get over their silly ultranationalism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies