Has 'childish' Arlene Foster lost the plot?

theloner

Foster has openly admitted online trolls will dictate policy and legislation in this superb wee c*ntry. DUP will now devise policy based on the infamous ‘Save Ulster from Sodomy’ campaign and in reaction to online trolls.

In Nov 2002 DUP MPs voted against an amendment to the Adoption & Children Bill to allow unmarried straight and gay couples to adopt children. Ballymena DUP Cllr Maurice Mills then claimed that gay people are to blame for Hurricane Katrina. In July 2008 DUP MP & MLA Iris Robinson claimed that homosexuality is ‘viler’ than child abuse in a speech to Parliament. There are countless other examples out there of the DUP's homophobia. In July 2011 DUP MLA Jim Wells called Belfast Pride ‘repugnant’. Last year DUP Cllr Paul McLean called for homosexuality to be made illegal.

Fair enough, its to be expected. Bigots will be bigots, but now Arlene has used trolls as an excuse to retard marriage equality. Foster has said online abuse from LGBT activists demanding a law change made it less likely the DUP would support the move.

"If activists want to have a conversation about where they are coming from, do they seriously think they are going to influence me by sending me abuse? No, they are not going to influence me by sending me abuse - in fact, they are going to send me in the opposite direction and people need to reflect on that."

Alliance leader Naomi Long, a Presbyterian, criticised Mrs Foster for "blaming online trolls" for the DUP's position on same-sex marriage.

"It is not just childish and ill-fitting for the office that she holds, but actually is disingenuous because her party has, at every opportunity, sought to block any progress for the LGBT community in Northern Ireland."

Sinn Féin MLA Sean Lynch said that same-sex marriage was raised at the Northern Ireland Executive on Thursday but was "blocked" by the DUP.

Same-sex marriage: Arlene Foster criticised for 'childish' online abuse comments - BBC News

Online trolls.... :roll:

eoghanacht

That's nothing new Ian Paisley trolled NI for decades.

Marcella

What a very strange and indeed telling thing for the leader of the DUP to say. Quite simply they are an embarrassment to progressive mature people everywhere in the north.

DT123

The DUP manifesto opposed gay marriage, they got elected and are implementing that policy.

Now you can agree with them. Disagree with them or not give a toss but they are doing what they were elected to do.

Novos

Foster has openly admitted online trolls will dictate policy and legislation in this superb wee c*ntry. DUP will now devise policy based on the infamous ‘Save Ulster from Sodomy’ campaign and in reaction to online trolls.
No she didn't.

"superb wee c*ntry"?
I'd love to know the thought process that led you to believe that was smart and worth typing.

GDPR

Say what you want about the Big Man but he was an exquisite orator.

Infact both himself and Enoch Powell were probably the two greatest English language orators of the 20 th century. I think that if the Shinners really want to persuade the Prods they need stop being so bloody boring.

hollandia

The DUP manifesto opposed gay marriage, they got elected and are implementing that policy.

Now you can agree with them. Disagree with them or not give a toss but they are doing what they were elected to do.
In fairness that's true. But eventually, people will catch on. SSM was by no means a major part of their manifesto, but as Albert Reynolds would have said, it's the small things that trip you up.

Glaucon

In fairness that's true. But eventually, people will catch on. SSM was by no means a major part of their manifesto, but as Albert Reynolds would have said, it's the small things that trip you up.
The vast majority of the electorate doesn't care about SSM. I think that SSM should be made legal forthwith but that's the reality of it.

hollandia

The vast majority of the electorate doesn't care about SSM. I think that SSM should be made legal forthwith but that's the reality of it.
Exactly. However, making a stand about an issue people care little about because your God/Sky Fairy/Flying Spaghetti Monster says its wrong does not make good politics. Bear in mind, at the last election, people in certain areas voted tactically. East Belfast was only won because of a pact between the UUP and the DUP. There is a growing sense that ordinary unionist people (secular) who vote DUP are tiring of their religious nuttery.

Irish-Rationalist

Ian was a demagogue and rabble rouser extraordinaire. His major influence was Billy Graham, an American Christian evangelist whose oratory he attempted to emulate. He was also a melodramatic actor, who thrived on creating tensions and conflict and used the NI situation as his backdrop and stage. His capacity to fuel PUL fears and ignite patriotic passions was legendary, and he essentially used the political situation to nurture his gargantuan ego.

James Galway, world famous NI flutist (who incidentally learned to play the flute in a Loyalist band) was recently interviewed and accused Paisley of "having a lot of blood on his hands". He wasn't wrong. But Paisley played the dual game of provoke the proles and deny responsibility. He's also attributed as having saved Ulster from sodomy, and in his latter years redeemed himself by acceding to power-sharing with his traditional enemies.

If Ian Paisley had kept his mouth shut and worn leather chaps and hot pants he'd be remembered as a much better man.

between the bridges

Arlene's a babe, end of pal...

GDPR

The DUP has a clear and consistent position re this issue and people are free to to take this into account or not when they vote. Their leader is defendng this position and making the point she is not a push over, no more. Using the blocking mechanism is a somewhat separate matter but again people are free to take this into consideration when voting.

cricket

Say what you want about the Big Man but he was an exquisite orator.

Infact both himself and Enoch Powell were probably the two greatest English language orators of the 20 th century. I think that if the Shinners really want to persuade the Prods they need stop being so bloody boring.
No matter how well delivered, they still spoke vile, sectarian rubbish.
You might as well be complimenting a bank robber on a stylish balaclava.

Irish-Rationalist

Permitting online trolls to determine government policy is perfectly rational and reasonable. Anyone who intimates other is evidently trolling.

vivabrigada

The DUP are on the wrong side of history. They claim to be British but won't fall in line with the majority of British people.
Charlatans.

New Threads