• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Has Eamon Keane left Newstalk?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Been wondering this for a while, the Newstalk site no longer lists him as a presenter and the "Lunchtime with Eamon Keane" show is now just called "Lunchtime".

Odd, recent listener figures showed Keane had actually gained listeners.

He's (or Newstalk at least have) had people standing in for him over the past two weeks, I just figured he was on holidays, and no comment from Newstalk on it.

So, anyone know if he's done a legger? Or was he "resigned"?

Update Thursday @ 8.30am - Well the Irish Independent have now picked up on this - apparently Keane handed in his resignation last week, and there's speculation he's moving to RTE. Maybe not directly to Gerry Ryan's slot.

Rumours of RTE move for Keane - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Last edited:

Malbekh

Bah beat me to it - a quicker twitterati than I. If it is true, it's not good for Newstalk as he was an excellent anchor for a two hour slot. I did find his chumminess to be a bit OTT, but he provided an excellent filler between PK and The News at One.

adamirer

Wow, big loss if so. He was the best presenter on Newstalk. Beyond the Off the Ball team, naturally.

Sync

Would be an interesting pick by 2fm if he's taking the Ryan slot. I'll certainly miss him in the afternoons.

johnfás

His show was quite good and, as stated above, is a good filler between Pat Kenny at the News at One. However, I don't think he was a great presenter at all. In fact I think he was quite a poor presenter. They could keep the format with a much better presenter/interviewer in my opinion.

IrishTonyo

Sean Moncriffe just confirmed to me on Twitter he is gone :( His was one of the best programmes in my opinion, I listened everyday to him.

Tomas Mor

I was wondering about this too, whether he was sick or on holidays, but no word at all. Something strange going on. I found him a bit off putting of late, that Kerry- style musha go on,tell us.

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
I like him, despite the fawning style (which i think he uses as an interview technique).
But Keane is very blokey. To replace Gerry you'd have to go down well with the Wimmin listners!

TommyO'Brien

Maybe he will be filling the vacant 9-12 slot on 2FM ??
You may be right. The suddeness of his disappearance and the gaping hole where his picture used to be suggests Newstalk was caught on the hop and is fuming over it. If they weren't, they would have announced his departure and issued the standard "we wish him well in the future" press release. When someone disappears suddenly and their picture is removed it usually indicates a serious falling out over something.

If you are right, Newstalk are fuming and refusing to allow him start the new job until his contractual exit notice finishes, but don't want him on air as that would be useful to their rivals because he might mention it, and would have a high profile. If so he is "on leave" working out his remaining contract and RTÉ are holding the Ryan show for him.

DCon

have it from a very good source that Sean Montcrieff has left newstalk

johnfás

Moncrieff would be best off leaving Newstalk, one of the most talented presenters on Irish radio and could draw a much bigger listenership if in a different slot on a different station.

Popular Threads

Most Replies