Has Eamon Keane left Newstalk?

constitutionus

have it from a very good source that Sean Montcrieff has left newstalk

actually if thats true it'd explain the staggering amount of patronising he's been doing to his listeners all week . its been like the sean monscrief political correctness show, but i fear were stuck with the fecker.

on the OP.

i thought he was just on holidays too. just shows you how screwed up things are in the mainstream broadcasting stations of this country that being off the air for weeks on end seems normal and doesnt send up any red flags :) :) !

be a pity as he's one of the strongest presenters they have. my first thought is they'd stick the dumph back in there but i reckon he's happy enough with his handy number on the sunday show.

what this really shows up though is just how inbred all the broadcasters are. seriously where the hell are they meant to get the next generation of broadcasters now theyve gone through all the ex RTE heads and raided all the pirate radio stations?

if RTE cant get anyone of quality to replace gerry what chance newstalk with keane?

oh and on the dunne thing, i can tolerate him. fact he's going up against turgidy is what helps him most. but im off by ten to pat kenny. inane drivel doesnt satisify me on a daily basis

invpat

You are speaking rubbish about O'Rourke. He regularly asks tough questions and controversial questions, and on one occasion had Willie O'Dea's microphone turned off when O'Dea as he is prone to do kept interrtupting other speakers.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.The only interviewee that O'Rourke gave a hard time to was his former colleague George Lee,he regularly interviews Brian Lenihan and Biffo and never lands a blow, but then maybe that suits your hue.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.The only interviewee that O'Rourke gave a hard time to was his former colleague George Lee,he regularly interviews Brian Lenihan and Biffo and never lands a blow, but then maybe that suits your hue.
Let's stay on topic, there's isn't just one media discussion on P.ie.

olamp

+1

Newstalk has taken a turn for the absurd lately with the sugar coating of all the bad news. It's really becoming tiresome.
Is that any surprise given that the station is owned by Denis fatty OBrien? According to him ,he did no wrong,Michael Lowry did no wrong,Dermot Desmond did no wrong --Just good news all round! Roll on the Moriarty report!

Sync

Who said Moncrieff was leaving Newstalk? This thread is about Eamon Keane leaving Newstalk.
I can't believe Newstalk didn't order him to shut his account down after the Harney thing.

TommyO'Brien

Eh . . . you seem to be the only one who doesn't realise I am in Fine Gael. I am not a FFer. Never have been. Never will be. :p

Here endeth the lesson.

Now back on topic.

Aristodemus

I cannot believe keane is going to replace Ryan. Somehow, the level of discussion on Ryan's show never seem to get beyond oul wans discussing their failure to have orgasms, or which was better value cat litter. Keane was a heavy hitter.

Grumpy Jack

I cannot believe keane is going to replace Ryan. Somehow, the level of discussion on Ryan's show never seem to get beyond oul wans discussing their failure to have orgasms, or which was better value cat litter. Keane was a heavy hitter.
Anyone that believes that Eamon Keane is going to replace G Ryan in RTE has probably left their mind at the bar in John B's in Listowel....

Guangzhoutom

Yeah, I have to agree. Can't see Keane being satisfied with a spot on 2fm, especially not trying to fill the space left by Gerry Ryan. And I don't see him on Radio 1 either, he's to irreverent. Maybe he's just been fired? Hope not, he wasn't always my cup of tea, but he did press guests pretty hard, unlike a lot of presenters

invpat

Yeah, I have to agree. Can't see Keane being satisfied with a spot on 2fm, especially not trying to fill the space left by Gerry Ryan. And I don't see him on Radio 1 either, he's to irreverent. Maybe he's just been fired? Hope not, he wasn't always my cup of tea, but he did press guests pretty hard, unlike a lot of presenters
Totally agree he was the only radio interviewer to ask the hard question and would not let politicians off the hook.Maybe Denis (Billy Bunter) O'Brien fired him because he was upsetting a few friends.

constitutionus

i dont think he's getting the gig either but lets do a little hypothosising.

keane DID do the harder questioning. what if there really was a "always look on the brightside of life " directive from above in newstalk management.

he wouldnt be able to do the show as he likes it.

in that light buggering off back to RTE where he'll get more wages for the same banality could be a way of sticking the two fingers up to management while at least having the benefit of extra wonga for the similar level editorial tyranny.

locke

It could be a game of musical chairs.

Keane to replace the person who is replacing Ryan?

Grumpy Jack

It could be a game of musical chairs.

Keane to replace the person who is replacing Ryan?
Does anyone know how popular Keane is with RTE management?

The words 'fart' and 'lift' trip off the tongue....

nicht besonders

Not surprising. While Bertie was still taoiseach I began listening to Keane a lot as the coverage of Bertie's tribunal performances was better than the news at one, but there's a clear editorial thrust at Newstalk now regarding "positivity" etc on economic and political news, which I thought a worthwhile journalist might have a problem with. I gave up listening to Keane's show the day of the budget when Newstalk had their editorial comment thing, and now only listen to Off the Ball and Dunphy; hopefully they don't ask Early, McDevitt et al to be more positive about the Irish soccer team, or I'll listen to nothing on there.

edit: RTE isn't much better tbf regarding "positivity", if anyone heard Mary Wilson's laughable chit-chat with Bank of Ireland's Dan O Brien yesterday, they'll know what I mean.

Last edited:

An Gilladaker

i dont think he's getting the gig either but lets do a little hypothosising.

keane DID do the harder questioning. what if there really was a "always look on the brightside of life " directive from above in newstalk management.

he wouldnt be able to do the show as he likes it.

in that light buggering off back to RTE where he'll get more wages for the same banality could be a way of sticking the two fingers up to management while at least having the benefit of extra wonga for the similar level editorial tyranny.
Keane takes over Late Late Tubtry joins FF and runs for president:confused:

nicht besonders

If Keane has been sacked for being "negative", Dunphy is sure to resign in protest, right?
Haven't seen it said that he was sacked tbf.

constitutionus

dont think he was sacked either as he probably wouldve commented on it already himself on other media.

my money is on he was poached by RTE.

I Think one of the other posters got it right. i'd bet turbidy will get ryans slot and keane will get turbidys which will put the preasure on dunne BIG time.

newstalk being pissed off about that after doing well with tom explains why eamon gets erased from their schedule on the quiet (probably just giving him his severance up front to get him off air) and knowing in advance who's going to take over ryans slot is why keane is keeping schtum (so as not to annoy RTE heads)

its about the only thing i can think of that explains the omerta on this issue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom