Has Ireland ever been a proper country?

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
Genuine question - not trying to wind anybody up:

Has the Irish Republic ever really been a proper country?

We mostly use the British legal system and continue to have Admiralty Courts, rather than designing our own judicial system.

Our political classes are laughable in their ineptitude/corruption/arrogance.

Our public services have never been properly organised or run - the health service is appalling, the gards couldn't catch a cold and our financial regulatory apparatus appears to have been operated by brainless seat-warmers.

Now, when we have a serious problem, we abandon everything we thought we had and go begging to our neighbours.

So - have we ever been more than a failed attempt to be not British?

Like I said - genuine question. I'll be interested to read what others think petunia

AddressTheNation

We should join the Commonwealth and have

- a proper health system
- a proper defence force
- a proper criminal justice system
- proper planning
- access to global markets
- social conservatism
- historic continuity
- end to gombeenism
- respect

ManfredJudge

Come on Mary Harney get your finger out! A 0.67934782608695652173913043478261% increase in the points total in the Euro Consumer Health Index and we would be level with the UK.

Squire Allworthy

Like most countries I don't think that Ireland has properly sat down and thought what it wants to be. Countries 'happen' and evolve almost by accident. Often it is a reaction against as much as one for. If the people of 1916 had thought Ireland would turn out like this would they have bothered?

Seldom in the affairs of man do you get clarity of purpose and insight.

I like much of the thoughts that came out of the late 18th century, but perhaps that is because I place my current values on them.

brine

- a proper health system
- a proper defence force
- proper planning
- social conservatism
- historic continuity
- end to gombeenism
- respect
Haha, the Commonwealth is gonna fix all this, just like it has for all those other former colonies. Pull the other one...

corporal punishment

So your taking a snapshot of our current situation and using it to describe the last 80 years?
I see.

A country isn't just its political and financial sphere. We have a huge culture that has managed to travel throughout the world. If the Irish population was less defeatist we might be able to do something constructive in this situation! The turnout for today's march shows that the wheels are in motion, it would be great to have a protest that wasn't union lead, to allow everyone's voice to be heard!

Insole

So your taking a snapshot of our current situation and using it to describe the last 80 years?
I see.
I'd say the situation we are in is more than a fleeting one. My best estimate would be between 2 and 4 decades with 1950's living standards. Think Ukraine!

We have utterly failed to govern ourselves responsibly. Our Republic has been a cringe inducing tragedy.

Every foreigner I've met including many Brits are embarrassed for us. We have abused and lost our independence.

Goban Saor

Because we use the British legal, is the reason why I dont acknowledge the Dails authority.

- a proper health system
- a proper defence force
- proper planning
- social conservatism
- historic continuity
- end to gombeenism
- respect
We could be sectarian and invade a lot of third world countries.

Aspherical123

We mostly use the British legal system and continue to have Admiralty Courts, rather than designing our own judicial system.

Our political classes are laughable in their ineptitude/corruption/arrogance.

Our public services have never been properly organised or run - the health service is appalling, the gards couldn't catch a cold and our financial regulatory apparatus appears to have been operated by brainless seat-warmers.

Now, when we have a serious problem, we abandon everything we thought we had and go begging to our neighbours.

So - have we ever been more than a failed attempt to be not British?

Like I said - genuine question. I'll be interested to read what others think petunia

The cultural psyche is damaged from the abuses of British rule and the abuses of the corrupt Catholic social order.

The only way is to model its self on scandinavian countries, more transparent local democracy etc,the churchs moral position should be replaced with humanism not consumerism, schools which teach citizenship and in a holistic way, otherwise you have just more social problems.

The gombeen class are a symptom of catholic moral social degeneracy, the same as in Italy etc.

Soldier of Density

..............So - have we ever been more than a failed attempt to be not British?
Shortt answer...NO

We're essentially the nation equivalent of a motorcycle side-car. Unless we're attached to something (UK/Europe) we're going nowhere fast.

We still run our country based on the politics of a 90 year old war......still ensuring we define ourselves as pro- or anti- treaty, while the citizens could be struggling to feed their heroin addled families. Still, the worst insult you can level at an incompetent arrogant ineffective leader, is to imply he's guilty of economic treason.

Perhaps this current crisis will wake us up to a few long-overlooked facts;

(a) The British are not responsible for all our woes.

(b) Being 'Irish',whilst great, is not that great. It certainly isn't the 'be all and end all'., and is not intriniscally better than any other nationality.

Last edited:

cropbeye

A real country

You could just as easily as is any country a real country? if you take the blinkers off

A lot of unecessary national self hatred here

I wonder why?

oggy

Not only are we a proper country we are one of the best in the world. The internet commentary sites have been taken over almost 100% by jerks who are spreading their miserable party political agenda not only around Ireland but around the world. They are relatively small in number but their effect is growing so much they can now be called the hidden anarchy. They are disgusting evil people who will only be happy if the country returned to the horrors of the Famine !!
When we got our freedom from the British we didnt have a tosser to our name and we went begging to the owners of our few small industries for the money to get the country moving. We have come on an amazing journey since where we are hostile to the fact that the incredible luxuries we have enjoyed for years and being denied to us for a while is the height of our problems. The people who are marching today are not the poor who have always been overlooked but those who are stuck with two holidays a year instead of three or four !

Interista

Not only are we a proper country we are one of the best in the world.
According to what criteria, exactly, is Ireland one of the 'best countries in the world'?

mcdonald douglas

Southern Ireland has been a miserable failure.From the poverty and lunacy of an economic war with our closest neighbour to mass emigration.It's a sad failure.I believe we should have remained part of the United Kingdom.We belong with our Celtic brothers and sisters in Wales and Scotland.I never understood how nationalists sold the idea that Wales and Scotland are foreign to us.

Watch The Break

Presumably some one has provided a definition of what a 'propah country' is, as well as comprehensive examples of both proper and improper countries by way of illustration.

Otherwise you are to a man talking out of your holes.

SlickWilly

I would phrase the OP's question differently, has Ireland ever had a proper society? A collection of rednecks constantly working angles on other rednecks trying to put one over on them - does not a society make!

Mitsui2

The gombeen class are a symptom of catholic moral social degeneracy, the same as in Italy etc.
It really is amazing all right that such markedly similar types do seem to crop up in the "Catholic" countries. I've always found it odd that we're geographically in northern Europe at all. At least if we were near the Mediterranean we'd have the weather.

New Threads

Most Replies