Has legalization of same-sex marriage cut American youth suicide rates?

O

Oscurito

Suicide can have multiple causes. Even a change in the weather could have effected the rate.

Plus, it's possible that e.g the change in rate is completely different from group to group, e.g. depending on the particular age group. High-school age versus college age, versus early school leavers, etc.

The study is simplistic to say the least, and a little too convenient in terms of the politically-perfectly-correct results.

Always a good idea not to pin your beliefs on a single study -multiple studies especially as regards the 'art' of statistics, should be taken into account before reaching any kind of sensible conclusion
Suicide does indeed have multiple causes and if one of those undergoes a lessening of its impact, then that will cause a reduction in the suicide rate.

I think that you - like a few others on this thread - are missing the fact that in those states where SSM was legalized, the reduction in youth suicide rates was significantly greater than in those states where it wasn't legalized. And that occurred right after legalization in 32 individual states over a 10 year period.

So it emphatically was not the weather.

D

Deleted member 17573

As I said, it's a single word that you are determined to interpret uncharitably.

This is the definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Can you explain how I might "charitably" interpret the statement that SSM policies reduced adolescent suicide attempts!

Mercurial

Can you explain how I might "charitably" interpret the statement that SSM policies reduced adolescent suicide attempts!
In the context of the rest of the paper.

Mercurial

a little too convenient in terms of the politically-perfectly-correct results.
Because treating LGBT people with dignity and respect is unlikely to have any effect on the mental health of young LGBT people?

D

Deleted member 17573

Just because they don't understand the mechanisms doesn't mean that there's strong evidence for the existence of such mechanisms,

That's the scientific approach. You infer a theory from the data. Years later (perhaps) someone comes along and - being able to delve into much more detail - shows what is actually happening.
The scientific approach does not justify arriving at a conclusion of causation when, at best, there is an unexplained correlation.

Last edited by a moderator:

GDPR

Because treating LGBT people with dignity and respect is unlikely to have any effect on the mental health of young LGBT people?
There is a difference between being celebratory or indifferent to some one's sexual peccadillos and giving them dignity and respect as a human person.

Mercurial

Nothing can justify the statement that there is a causal link between SSM and suicide attempts, where no such link has been established.
The authors do not say that there is a causal link anywhere in the paper. That would be an example of your uncharitable interpretation.

The authors claim to have provided evidence that legalizing same-sex marriage reduced suicide attempts.

D

Deleted member 17573

The authors do not say that there is a causal link anywhere in the paper. That would be an example of your uncharitable interpretation.

The authors claim to have provided evidence that legalizing same-sex marriage reduced suicide attempts.
And I am saying that they have not, indeed they said it themselves, but then lost the run of themselves in stating that SSM reduced attempted suicides among adolescents. In fact the phrasing of their statement suggests that they had set out, not to investigate for a link, but to prove that one existed.
Is it your professional opinion that they have provided this evidence?

Mercurial

And I am saying that they have not, indeed they said it themselves, but then lost the run of themselves in stating that SSM reduced attempted suicides among adolescents. In fact the phrasing of their statement suggests that they had set out, not to investigate for a link, but to prove that one existed.
But you haven't read the paper, so how do you know that they haven't done what they claim to have done?

talkingshop

Some dodgy LGBT study, is it? :lol:

D

Deleted member 17573

But you haven't read the paper, so how do you know that they haven't done what they claim to have done?

Mercurial

I'm not an expert in this field, so my "professional" opinion isn't relevant.

I haven't yet seen evidence that the study is flawed, or that the conclusions the authors make are not supported by the evidence they provide.

Mercurial

Some dodgy LGBT study, is it? :lol:
These kinds of comments really do demonstrate that people like you have absolutely no interest in a fair analysis of the evidence.

For the record, these are the authors' affiliations:

Epidemiology Department, Johns Hopkins
Bloomberg School of Public Health,
Baltimore, Maryland (Raifman);

Department of Global Health and Population,
Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health,
Boston, Massachusetts (Moscoe,McConnell);

Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine,
Boston Children’s Hospital,
Boston, Massachusetts (Austin);

Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences,
Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health,
Boston, Massachusetts (Austin).

O

Oscurito

Opponents of marriage equality in many countries where it's not legal will be alarmed by this study because of the emotional impact of an argument that links the issue to suicides and suicide attempts in young people - especially in LGBT young people.

So it's no surprise that a couple of folks here are a bit put out.

Mercurial

Opponents of marriage equality in many countries where it's not legal will be alarmed by this study because of the emotional impact of an argument that links the issue to suicides and suicide attempts in young people - especially in LGBT young people.

So it's no surprise that a couple of folks here are a bit put out.
The same people who claim to be so concerned with the rights of children...

O

Oscurito

The scientific approach does justify arriving at a conclusion of causation when, at best, there is an unexplained correlation.
Did you mean to say "does justify"? If you did, then we're not disagreeing.

amist4

Suicide does indeed have multiple causes and if one of those undergoes a lessening of its impact, then that will cause a reduction in the suicide rate.

I think that you - like a few others on this thread - are missing the fact that in those states where SSM was legalized, the reduction in youth suicide rates was significantly greater than in those states where it wasn't legalized. And that occurred right after legalization in 32 individual states over a 10 year period.

So it emphatically was not the weather.
And if suicide rates had increased in that period, you would be emphatically stating it was unrelated to SSM.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom