• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Has our President betrayed us by welcoming disgraced Denis O'Brien back into the fold?

bagel

Was disgusted to see in today's Indo a photo of our President appearing in public in the company of the disgraced Denis O'Brien.

The caption on the photograph states:
Biram Dah Abeid from Mauritania (left) the winner of the 2013 Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk greets President Michael D Higgins (right) and Front Line Defenders Denis O'Brien (centre) in City Hall, Dublin

President Michael D Higgins presents human rights award - Independent.ie

What does it take for an elected public representative in this country to act patriotically by making a significant stand against corruption?

A new way of doing politics my ar5e.

R3volution_R3ady

Maybe we should send Higgins to Cuba.

He'd feel more comfortable there I'd imagine.

I wonder if he'll get his salmon cooked the way he likes it...

tigerben

Well well well, FG and labour will do nothing to annoy o Brien, I've never heard so many ministers at the end of the phone for a love in on Newstalk. Quinn if he gets kicked out will surely be in Nora's seat if Ivan doesn't make it back.

drummed

Im handing back my passport as soon as i find it:mad:

I feel sooooooooooooo betrayed:(

Congalltee

Denis O'Brien is a benefactor of Front Line Defenders. It is a fantastic Dublin based charity which gives practical support to individuals who risk their lives for human rights worldwide. The President is right to support it (in spite of any view of Denis O'Brien one might have).

Radix

The rehabilitation of Denis O'Lowry has been well under way for some time.

During a recent debate on the G8 Summit in the Dáil, Taoiseach Enda Kenny chose obliquely to bring the former Burma (Myanmar) into the debate saying,

"That country of 60 million has a huge range of natural resources, yet some 58 million of its people have never had access to communications. That country will move from what might be termed ground zero to cloud computing and cloud access straight away. The scale of the investment there will be enormous."

Maverick operator Digicel takes on the big boys in Myanmar

Dáil Éireann - 12/Feb/2013 Northern Ireland Issues (Continued)

Enda has always had a bit of a grá for the old cloud computing.

Speech for the Taoiseach, Mr Enda Kenny, T.D. at the opening of the Cloud Computing Summit 2011, Croke Park on Thursday, 8th September 2011 « MerrionStreet.ie Irish Government News Service

[video=youtube;VzaQxLFl3rQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzaQxLFl3rQ[/video]

Taoiseach was told Denis O'Brien would be at NY Stock Exchange - Independent.ie

bagel

Denis O'Brien is a benefactor of Front Line Defenders. It is a fantastic Dublin based charity which gives practical support to individuals who risk their lives for human rights worldwide. The President is right to support it (in spite of any view of Denis O'Brien one might have).
But not in our name surely?

Libero

Well, yes, but it would have been sweet if Higgins had mentioned in passing that human rights include not just freedom from slavery but also the right to freedom of speech and a free press. Denis O'Brien helps a few good causes but he is one of the biggest threats to both those human rights in Ireland.

callas

Yes, no elected representative, let alone our Head of State should be seen with O'Brien. He should be shunned.
I suppose . In all fairness though , he is not a FFer. I am no fan of DOB but We mustnt devalue the sanction.

Analyzer

Just wondering....but was Seanie Fitz in the room when this happened ?

or any of the FAI head honchos anywhere nearby ?

Maybe Las Thurlas was hanging around in the background playing games on his mobile phone ?

Another green jersey moment. Pure posture from Malteser.

Now shut up all of you peasants, get back to work, and keep paying your PAYE, PRSI, USC, VAT, health levies, carbon taxes, property taxes, bank bailout income levies, etc....

Last edited:

Analyzer

I am thinking of forming an organization

frontline tax-payer defenders.

To represent those of us who pay our taxes in Ireland and not Malta.

I need a rich business man to provide sponsorship.

Last edited:

james5001

bagel

Yes, supporting Front Line Defenders in our name (or Special Olympics or Haitian reconstruction for that matter).
Michael D is free to support anything he wants in his capacity as a private citizen.
The President of Ireland doesn't have the same freedom.

There is a file with the DPP on (or there is a Garda investigation into) Denis O'Brien and his sidekick Michael Lowry.
Both have cost us a ton of money in a tribunal and when the losing bidders for the mobile licence are finished with us, they'll cost us lots more.
Although not yet convicted of any crimes, they are not people of good standing.
Accordingly, our President shouldn't sully his Office or our nation by consorting, in his official capacity, with the likes of Denis O'Brien.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Yes, supporting Front Line Defenders in our name (or Special Olympics or Haitian reconstruction for that matter).
but would we get sued for saying why we think he supports these orgs.

Last edited: