• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Has the Belfast Telegraph gone more orange since it became Dublin owned?

J

Johnny Boy

In a front page editorial this evening (I can't provide a link so I've transcribed this from the print edition) the paper asserts in relation to the flag issue: "But most who share the feeling of hurt are appalled at how a legitimate sense of grievance has degenerated on the streets into threats, violence and criminality."

I have to say that if the Belfast Telegraph represents mainstream unionist opinion, and fails to grasp that the new flag policy is merely emulating what is already best practice among major councils in Britain then we have little hope. To suggest that it is justifiable to fly the flag on a daily basis only in the city which just happens to have the largest number of opponents by far, to that practice, anywhere in the uk, is counter-intuitivity at an asinine level.
What part of "majority opinion" do they not understand?
Grievance your arse!
Get a bloody life!
The Dublin owners of this rag need to be taken to task for promoting continued Neanderthal thinking in this part of Ireland simply to curry favour within unionism.

cricket

Is this another Denis O'Brien plaything ?

J

Johnny Boy

Is this another Denis O'Brien plaything ?
Does O'Brien now owns Independent News and Media outright these days? The BT is part of that consortium, yes. It was bought during Surtony's reign........................................

belfast1981

Why is it any different from any other newspaper that has a 'political side' I could find many who support extreme republicanism, moderate every day nationalism, every day unionism and extreme loyalism if I was to look.

What makes the BT any different than any other paper out there? Every paper has its own views on what side it takes throughout the world.

centauro

Grievance your arse!
Get a bloody life!
The Dublin owners of this rag need to be taken to task for promoting continued Neanderthal thinking in this part of Ireland simply to curry favour within unionism.
I don't agree with the violence, but there are two sides to every story. Thankfully some can see that without feeling the need to toss insults about.

Let’s be honest, how would we feel if our Tricolour was taken down?
By Victoria White
Thursday, January 10, 2013
THERE is no excuse for loyalist violence on the streets of Belfast.
But let’s not pretend there’s no reason for it. An injustice has been done. The loyalists on the streets have seen the democratic process operate to take from them the symbol of their identity.

Taking a flag down is about the most potent symbol of taking away someone’s sovereignty that you could possibly dream up. That’s what you do when you want to show someone they’re not in charge any more because you are.

It doesn’t matter that flying the union flag on ceremonial days only is the norm throughout the United Kingdom and the chosen path of certain unionist councils. It doesn’t matter that the union flag flies at the Cenotaph in Belfast’s Garden of Remembrance.

Nothing matters except the fact that the union flag used to fly all year and now it doesn’t. Nothing matters except the fact that the flag has been taken away.
Irish examiner

PaddyO'Neill

The above could bring a tear to a glass eye Centauro.

Christ knows the reaction when Belfast has a Nationalist majority and Europes largest skip is summoned to City Hall for the clear out.

C

Castle Ray

Grievance your arse!
Get a bloody life!
I presume that drink has been taken.

between the bridges

it will go yellow if you leave it in the sun...

O'Sullivan Bere

Without seeing the full article I can't say for sure of its context, but just going on the one line alone, it may be a case of reading more into it than what it says (or maybe not if the full article suggests otherwise).

It says: "But most who share the feeling of hurt are appalled at how a legitimate sense of grievance has degenerated on the streets into threats, violence and criminality." I don't read that to mean every unionist is upset about the vote. In fact, Alliance unionists voted for the current practice. It's also been a practice at Stormont and many other places for awhile now, and even in Britain and the ROI, it's not customary to fly a flag 365(6) days a year on official buildings but only for particular days with purposes. I'm quite sure many of the silent majority make no issue of this matter or have no problem with other compromises. It merely speaks to those who wished the flag still flew alone daily, and states amongst that percent, even most of them don't take it to the extremes the thugs and fanatics have with these outbreaks. In short, the comment attempts to isolate the troublemakers and/or fanatics for what they are in the eyes of the general unionist community.

Last edited:

Glenshane4

In a front page editorial this evening (I can't provide a link so I've transcribed this from the print edition) the paper asserts in relation to the flag issue: "But most who share the feeling of hurt are appalled at how a legitimate sense of grievance has degenerated on the streets into threats, violence and criminality."

I have to say that if the Belfast Telegraph represents mainstream unionist opinion, and fails to grasp that the new flag policy is merely emulating what is already best practice among major councils in Britain then we have little hope. To suggest that it is justifiable to fly the flag on a daily basis only in the city which just happens to have the largest number of opponents by far, to that practice, anywhere in the uk, is counter-intuitivity at an asinine level.
What part of "majority opinion" do they not understand?
Grievance your arse!
Get a bloody life!
I have been a regular reader of the Belfast Telegraph since the 1960s. Except for the years when Jack Sayers was its editor, the Belfast Telegraph has always been anti-Catholic. I have not noticed that it has become any worse since it was acquired by Independent Newspapers.

between the bridges

I have been a regular reader of the Belfast Telegraph since the 1960s. Except for the years when Jack Sayers was its editor, the Belfast Telegraph has always been anti-Catholic. I have not noticed that it has become any worse since it was acquired by Independent Newspapers.
you really are old enough to have more wit...

Covenanter

Anti Catholic? In what way?

J

Johnny Boy

Why is it any different from any other newspaper that has a 'political side' I could find many who support extreme republicanism, moderate every day nationalism, every day unionism and extreme loyalism if I was to look.

What makes the BT any different than any other paper out there? Every paper has its own views on what side it takes throughout the world.
All papers take sides. No one disputes that.
However, the suggestion that to feel agrieved that the flag is not flying triumphantly over Belfast's feenuns' heads 365 days of the year, when that particular demographic group now outnumber their loyalist opponents, is a justified and understandable response, is quite an extremist position in itself.
Or do you people, (like white South Africans, in the past) think that your rights are absolute?
The reality is that unionists need to brace themselves for what the future will bring, and begin a conditioning process for their underclasses.
Education would help.

vinoboy

The BT has always taken the liberal unionist view since the 1960's under it's various editors -read their editorials from the days it supported Capt.O'Neill until now.

J

Johnny Boy

I presume that drink has been taken.
Why?
Because you don't agree with me, (as always of course), your feeble attempt to insult me without a shred of evidence fell on its arse.
Challenge the point I made, if you have any brains at all (which, of course, is a debatable point!).
Going for the man, rather than the ball, is a cheap response.

J

Johnny Boy

The BT has always taken the liberal unionist view since the 1960's under it's various editors -read their editorials from the days it supported Capt.O'Neill until now.
If liberal unionists really feel that the flag needs to fly over City Hall 365 days of the year, uniquely among large UK cities, then they need to take some holidays in England and see how it works there. The 365 day rule is a merely an extension of the "croppy lie down" philosophy which is at the centre of your beliefs, and always has been.
Basil McCrea is a liberal unionist, and look at how he is being treated by his party.
You reside in the stone age.

Mickeymac

Liberal onionists in the 1960's :lol:

Internment for Catholics only, denial of votes for Catholics, discrimination in jobs and housing for Catholics, gerrymandering against Catholics, special powers act used against Catholics..............need I go further?

You are a total disgrace buckfast.......end of.

Mickeymac

If liberal unionists really feel that the flag needs to fly over City Hall 365 days of the year, uniquely among large UK cities, then they need to take some holidays in England and see how it works there. The 365 day rule is a merely an extension of the "croppy lie down" philosophy which is at the centre of your beliefs, and always has been.
Basil McCrea is a liberal unionist, and look at how he is being treated by his party.
You reside in the stone age.

Lets get real here, Basil was a Member of a party who endorsed such measures which I pointed out on #19 Johnny.