Has the Government been buying Views on YouTube?

ruserious

The MerrionStreetNews YouTube channel recent featured a video called #ThisIsIreland.

[video]https://youtu.be/-gjolbjmdak[/video]

In three weeks, it has recorded a very impressive 2,515,000 views.
Normally for such a video to hit so many views so soon, it would be trending on YouTube; which it isn’t.
It would also have, generally, far more activity such as likes and dislikes on it. It has recorded a mere 1,000 likes which is only a return of approx 1/2500 people hitting “like”. A poor outcome for a video which is admittedly well made.

The only logical answer therefore is that the Strategic Communications Unit has purchased views on YouTube. Many companies in the Middle East and India offer such packages on YouTube and Facebook. It is probably therefore in my view that the YouTube Profile in question may have purchased 2.5 million views from such a company and that the 15k odd views extra is the true audience thus far.

FineGael have form in this regard:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/230920-fine-gael-stooping-purchasing-likes-facebook.html

The only difference here is, this time as it is Merrion Street rather than FG getting up to possible “like purchasing” shenanigans, the question of public funds comes to the fore.

This is something an investigative journalist could look into.

Any comment P.ie?

Catalpast

I didn't know you could 'purchase' views on YouTube!:shock:

At least it explains how Justin Bieber gets so many hits

- I mean there is no other logical explanation is there?:confused:

gleeful

1 million views on youtube cost around €3k. Its hardly worth worrying about one way or another in the scheme of things.

ruserious

1 million views on youtube cost around €3k. Its hardly worth worrying about one way or another in the scheme of things.
So if what I suspect has happened is correct, €7,500 could have been spent on this of public money. I’d rather that go into the health budget or housing crisis fund than some cheap view figures on YouTube.

ruserious

Also if you look at other videos they’ve posted, they only get around 50/60 views. To get 2.5 million from nothing is very suspicious.

gleeful

Also if you look at other videos they’ve posted, they only get around 50/60 views. To get 2.5 million from nothing is very suspicious.
That particular video was promoted in the US and got a lot of press coverage in the run up to paddy's day. So 2.5m views isn't really that odd.

And I'd imagine they spent much more than €7k promoting it in other ways too.

jmcc

That particular video was promoted in the US and got a lot of press coverage in the run up to paddy's day. So 2.5m views isn't really that odd.

And I'd imagine they spent much more than €7k promoting it in other ways too.
Hammer and HBAP have been rather quiet recently. Perhaps their F5 (reload) keys on their keyboards are broken. :)

jmcc

They aren't even good at buying likes :roll:
FG is very popular in India, Pakistan, the Middle East and a lot of data centres. FG is actively trying to get data centres to move to Ireland as a result. :)

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
The MerrionStreetNews YouTube channel recent featured a video called #ThisIsIreland.

[video]https://youtu.be/-gjolbjmdak[/video]

In three weeks, it has recorded a very impressive 2,515,000 views.
Normally for such a video to hit so many views so soon, it would be trending on YouTube; which it isn’t.
It would also have, generally, far more activity such as likes and dislikes on it. It has recorded a mere 1,000 likes which is only a return of approx 1/2500 people hitting “like”. A poor outcome for a video which is admittedly well made.
comments disabled and
viewed on american websites it was embedded on

TomBreen

The fact that comments are disabled should tell you everything.
Yeah that made me wonder when I viewed it a few weeks back, no doubt the productions are good, bet the GAA are annoyed that in the Vid there are no county or club colours to be seen.

PAGE61

I bet they are, Im not a GAA fan but even i was surprised at that..though Rugby is been shoved down our throat recently...maybe the IRFU bought the likes

hammer

Saw the video for the first time on St Patricks Day.

Very impressed.

2.5 m views. Easily I would say without need to buy anything :)

HenryHorace

Well spotted OP but don't expect our "fair and balanced" journos here to look into it.

wombat

Advertising on You Tube isn't a bad idea, I use it to check out places before I visit, a lot of Canadian tourist boards have videos.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies