Has the Poppy become a symbol of racism?

ger12

Robert Fisk: Why I will never wear this symbol of betrayal again - Independent.ie

Robert Fisk is angry, the piece linked above appeared today in the Irish Independent. He writes of his shame watching the media and politicians fawn over the Poppy while the reality of England in 2016 is one where the children of those who fought alongside the Brits in the two wars (like the Poles) are not seen as friends and comrades and are being driven out of Britain.

He points out how PC it is now, the media shying away from religious icons for fear of offending a culture. "Yet the poppy just manages to sneak onto the screen of BBC World; it is permissible, you see, the very last symbol that "our" dead remain more precious than the millions of human beings Britain has killed, in the Middle East for example, for whom we wear no token of remembrance".

He's known, Mr Fisk, to rage against the military industrial complex. As an ass on the grass journalist he has experienced the reality of war.

Interesting article.

Jack O Neill

Robert Fisk: Why I will never wear this symbol of betrayal again - Independent.ie

Robert Fisk is angry, the piece linked above appeared today in the Irish Independent. He writes of his shame watching the media and politicians fawn over the Poppy while the reality of England in 2016 is one where the children of those who fought alongside the Brits in the two wars (like the Poles) are not seen as friends and comrades and are being driven out of Britain.

He points out how PC it is now, the media shying away from religious icons for fear of offending a culture. "Yet the poppy just manages to sneak onto the screen of BBC World; it is permissible, you see, the very last symbol that "our" dead remain more precious than the millions of human beings Britain has killed, in the Middle East for example, for whom we wear no token of remembrance".

He's known, Mr Fisk, to rage against the military industrial complex. As an ass on the grass journalist he has experienced the reality of war.

Interesting article.
Does anyone really think the poppy has anything to do with remembering the young men the British class system has sent to their deaths over countless generations , does it fjukkkk . Its part of an agenda to make sure the elite have a steady stream of squaddies ready to die for some incontinent old queen and who are too dumb to wake up to what they are and what their grandfathers were to the elites , nothing .

GDPR

Interesting article.
Robert is nearly always angry, he's anti national and pro European, always has been.

For the poppy, its a symbol of rememberance of a nations war dead and nothing wrong with that, it's up to each of us how we do that, the poppy is just a reminder for the Brits, that's all, no need to get angry about it.

To say its a symbol of racism is imo taking it way too far.

The Field Marshal

Most countries remember their soldiers who died in battle.
I fail to see why the poppy should be singled out for criticism.

Do people criticise the Irish or the Russians or the Americans, French, Germans for remembering their dead soldiers?

This denigration of one countries remembrance symbol smacks of irredeemable hatred.

sic transit

Robert is nearly always angry, he's anti national and pro European, always has been.

For the poppy, its a symbol of rememberance of a nations war dead and nothing wrong with that, it's up to each of us how we do that, the poppy is just a reminder for the Brits, that's all, no need to get angry about it.
He spent most of his adult life living among those he defends. The poppy is a symbol of remembrance, but a tad anachronistic given the events are now a century distant. There's little reason to continue it but no obvious reason to stop.

GDPR

Do people criticise the Irish or the Russians or the Americans, French, Germans for remembering their dead soldiers?

This denigration of one countries remembrance symbol smacks of irredeemable hatred.
If fairness he is British himself, so he's going to take a particular, if imo, a misguided interest.

toconn

I regret the way the poppy appears to have been dragged from a simple symbol of remembrance by some to become something of a politic tool. That can't be denied and its sad to see , however I think its up to people to remember in their own way and I do not think its the place of others to criticise . People have a right to opinion also I guess.

GDPR

He spent most of his adult life living among those he defends. The poppy is a symbol of remembrance, but a tad anachronistic given the events are now a century distant. There's little reason to continue it but no obvious reason to stop.
Possibly, but to stop could be seen as a rejection of the sacrifice involved and very hard to stand over that.

Paddy Sarkozy

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-- John McCrae, 1915

sic transit

Possibly, but to stop could be seen as a rejection of the sacrifice involved and very hard to stand over that.
Sure, but I'm not one for remembering people into perpetuity. At some point the meaning of it is completely lost and it becomes about anything you want.

GDPR

Sure, but I'm not one for remembering people into perpetuity. At some point the meaning of it is completely lost and it becomes about anything you want.
For me regarding WW1 and I see it as being mostly about that war, it has always been about the great waste of that time and by remembering to make sure that never happens again.
A lesson worth keeping in mine more or less for ever.

WW2 was a different animal, in the circumstances that war had to be fought and had to be won, no matter the cost.

Polly Ticks

The problem I have with the poppy is that the message that comes with it regarding militarism doesn't seem to be "Never Again" but "Over And Over And Over."

But to answer your Q, OP.. no it is not a symbol of racism. It is a symbol of militarism. But racism and militarism are deeply connected as MLK pointed out.

cricket

The poppy and all that now goes with it has a twofold purpose :
One is to encourage recruitment into the armed forces.
Two is to camouflage atrocities the british have been involved in throughout the world by accusing anybody who questions its purpose of being unpatriotic.

toconn

The problem I have with the poppy is that the message that comes with it regarding militarism doesn't seem to be "Never Again" but "Over And Over And Over."

But to answer your Q, OP.. no it is not a symbol of racism. It is a symbol of militarism. But racism and militarism are deeply connected as MLK pointed out.
Agree with a lot of that . When I was growing up in the uk as a kid people wore the poppy but said little about it , it seemed a benign symbol worn to remember loss and regret . I have to say the " poppy" brand is what I see now with connotations I don't like personally. It's the same with the Easter lily which was always worn ( my English school friends never knew what it was ). I still regard it but I won't buy it from SF activists who have hijacked in an attempt to claim the Republican narrative. Nothing against SF as a party in particular but it's hard to criticise the poppy being politicised when the same happens elsewhere .

Congalltee

It's certainly political (and should be properly banned by FIFA, UEFA)

The treatment of James McClean every year is a disgrace to the FA and the English and borders on bigotry.

A poppy doesn't simply honour the men of the Somme or d-day but also the veterans of the Bogside and Basra. It is overtly political (you're with us or against us) and it's near compulsory adornment on BBC, parliament, football has made it very suspicious.

Emily Davison

Is it possible for a BBC or ITV presenter to not wear the poppy?

shoneen

Are their symbols of remembrance plastered all over the media for a month? Are people hounded in the press for not wearing symbols?

PBP voter

If you live in the UK assimilate and wear a poppy.

Dont be a drunk Irish loser crying about Ireland.

If you dont like it go work in Germany. Stop running off to the UK,Canada,Auz,NZ etc ie place where the Queen is head.

Same goes for all the new Irish assimilate and stop turning our towns and cities into slums full of ethnic shops.

Popular Threads

Most Replies