• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Has the social media made the world a better place?

Honecker

Technology can be used for both construction and destruction purposes. For example the air plane was a marvellous invention that increased transport and communications but it has also been used to commit acts of mass murder. The social media can claims to improve communications and allow grass roots participation in the media. However, more often than not, twitter is just a hate filled ignorant mob baying for blood. People have hailed the social media for it's role in the Arab Spring but was the Arab Spring really a positive development when it has led to secular governments being replaced by Islamic mobs?

Then there is Facebook. Primarily this is used to bully and stalk people rather than for anything positive. My friend is a primary teacher. She says she is spending an increasing amount of time dealing with bullying issues relating to the social media. Some 10 year olds have even contemplated suicide due to public humiliation and gang bullying via the social media.

I'm begining to feel there is too much media in the world so much so that it is impossible to escape from. You can now be contacted at any time and anywhere. The distintion between work time and free time has been blurred. Then there is the fact every sociopath and ignorant moron now has access to preach to the world. Take a look at this for example

Public Shaming

sic transit

Mostly bad as it tends to encourage the type of trigger happy nonsense that we all have when under the influence late at night and in charge of a phone.

ruserious

Then there is Facebook. Primarily this is used to bully and stalk people rather than for anything positive.
Complete over exaggeration.

D

Deleted member 17573

Good place to come for an argument but of little real or lasting worth. But social media sells itself well and many are happy to go along with the delusion of value.

B

Boggle

It's hard to tell. We have just gotten social media so it's likely that it will take time for people to figure out how to use it. With any luck people will adjust to dealing with trolls and we will be able to generate meaningful debate but I think we need to be patient.

I do wonder whether kids should be allowed on-line but thats something we will figure out as we go.

ticketyboo

Complete over exaggeration.
I would tend to agree with that. Three out of four in this house are facebookers, I am the exception.
Needless to say, none use the facility for harassing or being harassed or bullied, although it is a serious problem, especially for younger kids, who are more susceptible to being damaged emotionally and physically by this.
I suppose on some level, social media gives each and every one of us the chance to be famous for fifteen minutes, instead of being instructed on our world view by pontificates like Waters, Harris, and Myers.
It's good and it's bad, but as many have pointed out here before me, it's here to stay.

Tin Foil Hat

In 37 years on this planet, I have yet to find anything quite as pointless as facebook. Twitter isn't far behind.

Spanner Island

Social Media is just another step in various predictions over the years and decades made by the likes of Warhol, Huxley and Orwell...

All of their predictions are coming true although not necessarily in the way they envisioned...

15 minutes of fame..? Now possible for everyone via Facebook, Twitter and/or YouTube...

Big Brother is well and truly with us too, with many people actively promoting it with smart phones and aps that allow anyone with a phone to be tracked... And not only that, but through Facebook and Twitter etc. 'marketers' are gaining access to peoples' 'Likes', dislikes, opinions, friends, enemies etc. etc... and all of this data is being given voluntarily to corporations by people who'd be up in arms if the 'state' asked them for such info...

One great thing about social media though, is that 'establishments' everywhere hate it because they can't control it and their bullsh!t and spin is now torn to shreds faster than ever...

You'd think they'd learn and amend their ways... but unfortunately their main response seems to be to vilify social media at every opportunity in their attempts to curb it and control it for themselves...

Overall is social media a good or a bad thing? A bit of both but ultimately it's what you make of it yourself...

Honecker

Social Media is just another step in various predictions over the years and decades made by the likes of Warhol, Huxley and Orwell...

All of their predictions are coming true although not necessarily in the way they envisioned...

15 minutes of fame..? Now possible for everyone via Facebook, Twitter and/or YouTube...

Big Brother is well and truly with us too, with many people actively promoting it with smart phones and aps that allow anyone with a phone to be tracked... And not only that, but through Facebook and Twitter etc. 'marketers' are gaining access to peoples' 'Likes', dislikes, opinions, friends, enemies etc. etc... and all of this data is being given voluntarily to corporations by people who'd be up in arms if the 'state' asked them for such info...

One great thing about social media though, is that 'establishments' everywhere hate it because they can't control it and their bullsh!t and spin is now torn to shreds faster than ever...

You'd think they'd learn and amend their ways... but unfortunately their main response seems to be to vilify social media at every opportunity in their attempts to curb it and control it for themselves...

Overall is social media a good or a bad thing? A bit of both but ultimately it's what you make of it yourself...
Yes perhaps the Big Brother we need to watch out for is not The State but rather incessant media everywhere. Everyone is recording everyone. One mistake and you're all over the social media as KPMG girl found out.

Astral Peaks

I have both a Twitter account and a Facebook page.

If forced to chose between them, I'd take Twitter every time.

As a medium for speedily distributing info and news it is great. Yes, a lot of hate filled BS on there too, but like this site one has to grin and bear it.

The OP has of course, by omitting P.ie from consideration, sought to pretend that this site and us posters is somehow "above" all of this type of carry on.

We aren't, and it isn't.

Tin Foil Hat

Yes perhaps the Big Brother we need to watch out for is not The State but rather incessant media everywhere. Everyone is recording everyone. One mistake and you're all over the social media as KPMG girl found out.
Big Brother was a little more sinister that just pointing and laughing. Big Brother would jail you for putting a joke on facebook.

I recall reading a rather rueful comment from a former senior member of the FBI along the lines that the social media was something she'd have given her eye teeth for 30 years ago. Apparently it's a boon to the intelligence gatherers. Stuff that they once had to dig deep for is now being voluntarily offered by the people they monitor.

I'm no conspiracy Joe, but I do wonder at things like my Samsung Note. In order to avail fully of all of its facilities you need a Google logon. That gives you some great stuff. It can detect my preferences and make restaurant suggestions wherever I am that will suit my taste, for example. As always with Google, if I allow it it will tailor ads to target my tastes.

But the thing has a GPS. If I allow the default settings to apply and if I logon to Google, they now have the ability to know what I like, who I connect with, where I am....

If I were to use the Facebook and Twitter apps which were conveniently preinstalled on the phone they'd have another layer of info on me.

One thing I found slightly chilling was the first time I used the Sat-Nav to get home. All fine stuff; a map view and a voice guiding me home. When I got there, and the voice triumphantly announced my arrival, I was shocked to see the map view change to a photo of my home. I felt slightly violated.

I've since disabled almost everything on the phone.

Popular Threads

Most Replies