Hasidic Jews of East Ramapo in New York state co-opt the local school system

silverharp

Interesting little Religious multiculti failure. Essentially in this school district roughly 2/3'rds of the school age kids are Hasidic Jews ~25,000 out of ~35,000, most of the Jewish kids don't attend state schools but attend private yeshivas, so far so good each to their own. However in a political move to gain control of the education budget they got themselves elected to the school board so now all the board is made up of Hasidic Jews. They have gone on to divert funds away from how the funds were intended to be spent. The state schools have suffered because of this, the remaining kids in the system are mostly African American and Hispanic
it seems a bit of a clusterfck , the educational standards at these yeshivas is pretty ropey as half the school day is made up of religious studies. On the flipside the state schools have mostly become sink schools with poor educational attainment so pretty much all the Yankees have moved away from the area.

Not sure whats been done to address the situation but difficult to resolve even if the school budgets are restored.

An Immoral Use of Jewish Power in Upstate New York

For the past several years, a local, then statewide, and now national drama has been playing out in a school district of Rockland County, located just northwest of New York City. At one level, the issue at hand is about school control. The East Ramapo school system is governed by a supermajority of ultra-Orthodox Jews who live in the district but did not attend public schools and send their children to private yeshivas. While this fact alone might raise some eyebrows, what they’ve done with this control has raised alarm.

The board has drastically increased the funding going to yeshivas, but it has cut public school classes and extracurricular activities, attempting to sell public school assets at below market prices to private yeshivas, and more. These ethically and at times legally dubious actions have been documented by everyone from newspapers like this one to the New York City Bar Association to the New York State Supreme Court.

Frustrated by the school board’s intransigence, local students, parents, teachers, religious leaders and activists appealed to the state for help. Governor Andrew Cuomo appointed an independent fiscal monitor, Hank Greenberg, last year to investigate the district. From a removed, balanced perspective, Greenberg confirmed what thousands of public school students and parents had known for years: The board is responsible for “recklessly depleting the district’s reserves” and favoring “the private school community over the East Ramapo public schools.”

Read more: An Immoral Use of Jewish Power in Upstate New York
stats for one of the main high schools in Ramapo

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/schools/2781003779/school.aspx

read more here

The Conflict Between the Hasidic and Immigrant Communities in East Ramapo -- New York Magazine

rainmaker

Administrator
Interesting little Religious multiculti failure. Essentially in this school district roughly 2/3'rds of the school age kids are Hasidic Jews ~25,000 out of ~35,000, most of the Jewish kids don't attend state schools but attend private yeshivas, so far so good each to their own. However in a political move to gain control of the education budget they got themselves elected to the school board so now all the board is made up of Hasidic Jews. They have gone on to divert funds away from how the funds were intended to be spent. The state schools have suffered because of this, the remaining kids in the system are mostly African American and Hispanic
it seems a bit of a clusterfck , the educational standards at these yeshivas is pretty ropey as half the school day is made up of religious studies. On the flipside the state schools have mostly become sink schools with poor educational attainment so pretty much all the Yankees have moved away from the area.

Not sure whats been done to address the situation but difficult to resolve even if the school budgets are restored.

An Immoral Use of Jewish Power in Upstate New York

stats for one of the main high schools in Ramapo

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/schools/2781003779/school.aspx

read more here

The Conflict Between the Hasidic and Immigrant Communities in East Ramapo -- New York Magazine
No religion should be controlling any school system in the 21st century - I hope this is not correct, I would like to see a link from a more respected source as well.

former wesleyan

No religion should be controlling any school system in the 21st century - I hope this is not correct, I would like to see a link from a more respected source as well.
The NY magazine article is a good read; long enough to cover most of the angles.

rainmaker

Administrator
The NY magazine article is a good read; long enough to cover most of the angles.
Well, as I say, I don't believe there is any place for any religious control of any school in the 21st century and the state should intervene to end this.

silverharp

I don't have a sub but the New York Magazine is reasonably reputable left leaning magazine , it was just a much longer article so quoted the shorter one.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-magazine/

GDPR

I would have a lot more sympathy with the Hasidim in general than I would have certainly with sinister "Modern Orthodox" hyper-Zionist types (and no I'm not saying that all the Modern Orthodox are sinister) and the sort of Reform Jews who live in clouds of extremist ethno-nationalist supremacism and self-deception. Certainly Jewry has very many virtues in general however very often it cannot be denied that if give them an inch they will use that to grab a mile when dealing with Goyim at least. One of the things that I admire most about Stalin and Putin is the way that they have been able to have very productive mutually beneficial with Jewry.

razorblade

No religion should ever be allowed to control an education system in a civilised society, this needs to be stopped immediately.

GDPR

I don't have a sub but the New York Magazine is reasonably reputable left leaning magazine , it was just a much longer article so quoted the shorter one.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-magazine/
Be cautious. One the things that people trapped in evil or at least deeply sinful forms of anti-Semitism do is present Jewry as some type of group similar to the Borg in Star Trek when actually that is very far from the truth. Degenerate "Reform" Jews often really have it in for the Haredi/Hasidic Jews, especially if they are Anti-Zionist which a lot of them are. And given how New York magazine is dominated by that type of Jew I wouldn't necessarily take their word on anything they say about the Hasidim.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
""I had a terrible education. I attended a school for emotionally disturbed teachers."

Woody Allen.

silverharp

Be cautious. One the things that people trapped in evil or at least deeply sinful forms of anti-Semitism do is present Jewry as some type of group similar to the Borg in Star Trek when actually that is very far from the truth. Degenerate "Reform" Jews often really have it in for the Haredi/Hasidic Jews, especially if they are Anti-Zionist which a lot of them are. And given how New York magazine is dominated by that type of Jew I wouldn't necessarily take their word on anything they say about the Hasidim.
no need to showboat, what they believe is irrelevant as far as this thread goes. its just a question of what happens when large numbers of a separatist religious community arrive into a particular area and its knock on effects.

GDPR

no need to showboat, what they believe is irrelevant as far as this thread goes. its just a question of what happens when large numbers of a separatist religious community arrive into a particular area and its knock on effects.
I lived next to or near to Hasidim and Haredi in England. It was fine. I don't know of troubles around the Priestless Russian Old Believers in Romania or Russia (from the people as opposed to the State in the case of the latter) or the Hussites and Amish in the USA. So I think you are possibly over stating as a scientific law.

eoghanacht

""I had a terrible education. I attended a school for emotionally disturbed teachers."

Woody Allen.
I thought he was Jewish? Why go to a Catholic school?

petaljam

I thought he was Jewish? Why go to a Catholic school?
I know you're joking, and I've no idea where Woody Allen went to school, but a lot of liberal Jewish families did send their children to Catholic schools, and maybe still do.

Sounds along the same vein as what happened in the UK with Salafist Muslims trying to dominate certain schools wtih their own ideology?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Trojan_Horse

From a tabloid report:
Quite a few posters here agree with Catholic schools being funded by public funds and being allowed to prioritize recruitment for Catholic familes - isn't that the same principle at work?

Old Mr Grouser

No.

There's a lot more to it than that.

Misconduct goes on everywhere but the leadership of the Hasidic communities - not just in East Rapaco but across the States of New York and New Jersey - seems to be exceptionally mired in a range of crimes - financial misappropriation, Social Security fraud, voter fraud, and child-sex-abuse cover-ups.

[video=youtube;aK5pX0KXuOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5pX0KXuOE[/video]

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I know you're joking, and I've no idea where Woody Allen went to school, but a lot of liberal Jewish families did send their children to Catholic schools, and maybe still do.

Quite a few posters here agree with Catholic schools being funded by public funds and being allowed to prioritize recruitment for Catholic familes - isn't that the same principle at work?
Seriously?

You are comparing Irish Catholic schools with what was attempted in this 'Operation Trojan'?

Not really comparable - do religious orders encourage extremism as we understand it or do they espouse a religious ethos which may not be to everyone's liking? I'm neither Catholic (never was either) but you either being disingenuous or did not read the wiki link above).

petaljam

Seriously?

You are comparing Irish Catholic schools with what was attempted in this 'Operation Trojan'?

Not really comparable - do religious orders encourage extremism as we understand it or do they espouse a religious ethos which may not be to everyone's liking? I'm neither Catholic (never was either) but you either being disingenuous or did not read the wiki link above).
The thread is about Jewish parents, not Muslims, you made that comparison. So if we're talking generally, about any religion wanting to use public funds to promote their own schools, then my point is valid.

If however you're discussing extremists promoting political as well as religious extremism, and possibly terrorism, then you're on the wrong thread.

GDPR

No.

There's a lot more to it than that.

Misconduct goes on everywhere but the leadership of the Hasidic communities - not just in East Rapaco but across the States of New York and New Jersey - seems to be exceptionally mired in a range of crimes - financial misappropriation, Social Security fraud, voter fraud, and child-sex-abuse cover-ups.
In all Justice the Hasidim have a tendency to greatly vary according to which "Dynasty" they follow; I would regard Chabad with whom the pansy puff Trump is involved with through his son in law as being much more of a criminal conspiracy than a Religious organization while as people involved with the Satmar crowd can have this wonderful otherworldly, I might even be tempted to say, Saintly quality, about them

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies