Hate laws jump the shark , teenager prosecuted for posting rap lyrics on their social media

silverharp

In a case of it cant get any more silly than saluting pugs, a "hold my drink" court convicted a teenager for posting song lyrics on a social media account which apparently was even set to some kind of private setting. Its good the UK police and courts have nothing better to do with their time :D

Woman guilty of 'racist' Snap Dogg rap lyric Instagram post - BBC News

teenager who posted rap lyrics which included racist language on Instagram has been found guilty of sending a grossly offensive message.

Chelsea Russell, 19, from Liverpool posted the lyric from Snap Dogg's I'm Trippin' to pay tribute to a boy who died in a road crash, a court heard.

Russell argued it was not offensive, but was handed a community order.

Prosecutors said her sentence was increased from a fine to a community order "as it was a hate crime".

She was charged after Merseyside Police were anonymously sent a screenshot of her update.

The Liverpool Echo reported that Russell's defence had argued the usage of the word had changed over time and it had been used by superstar rapper Jay-Z "in front of thousands of people at the Glastonbury Festival".

Prosecutor Angela Conlan said Russell's defence also argued her profile "wasn't public", but it had been proved in court that anyone could access it and "see the offensive language".

She said prosecutors also "sourced case law that showed that posting the profile on her account constituted sending it and making it public".

Russell was found guilty of sending a grossly offensive message by a public communication.

She was given an eight-week community order, placed on an eight-week curfew and told to pay costs of £500 and an £85 victim surcharge.

Betson

A world gone crazy , surely this is a a case of PC running amok.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I hate crime all the time
What about crimes against fashion? Do you hate them or do you just look at the mugs and feel superior that unlike them, you won't, in this vastly over photographed world, be humiliated in years to come!

*EPIC SUCCESS*

A world gone crazy , surely this is a a case of PC running amok.
I would have to agree to be honest.

Its technically art (debatable, I know, but that is what it is) and this can be seen as an assault on art.

Based on these laws, surely any hip hop concerts in the UK could theoretically be raided and shut down for using hate speech?

Context is the key here.

Supra

What about crimes against fashion? Do you hate them or do you just look at the mugs and feel superior that unlike them, you won't, in this vastly over photographed world, be humiliated in years to come!
Crimes against fashion are the worst crimes.
Historical race crimes are bad enough without hating whatever the new black happens to be any given season.

Sotired

Was jay z arrested for the same hate crime?

God I fu€king hate that truly sinister Orwellian term.

Betson

I would have to agree to be honest.

Its technically art (debatable, I know, but that is what it is) and this can be seen as an assault on art.

Based on these laws, surely any hip hop concerts in the UK could theoretically be raided and shut down for using hate speech?

Context is the key here.
Similar issue with that chap who in Scotland was convicted for teaching his Dog to do a Nazi salute for a joke , Ricky Gervais and other high profile comedians said they totally disagreed with the decision and the premise now than anything that offends can be called a hate crime , they called it a very worrying decision for all those who value free expression.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
In a case of it cant get any more silly than saluting pugs, a "hold my drink" court convicted a teenager for posting song lyrics on a social media account which apparently was even set to some kind of private setting. Its good the UK police and courts have nothing better to do with their time :D

Woman guilty of 'racist' Snap Dogg rap lyric Instagram post - BBC News
I think that a lot of these cases are hyped up by people with an agenda, but this case seems absolutely insane, the notion that she was prosecuted, let alone convicted, is mind-boggling.

I would draw a sharp distinction between where abusive language is directed towards someone, and this case where taboo words were just used in a general sense.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Similar issue with that chap who in Scotland was convicted for teaching his Dog to do a Nazi salute for a joke , Ricky Gervais and other high profile comedians said they totally disagreed with the decision and the premise now than anything that offends can be called a hate crime , they called it a very worrying decision for all those who value free expression.
Quite.

Surely Prince Harry is on a 'to do' list somewhere for his wearing of the swastika 'as a joke'? If not, why not?

Will Mel Brooks ''The (original, the Devil can take the modern remake) Producers'' now be censored? What about Spike Milligan? Monty Python? It all has to do with context and intent in my opinion.

Betson

silverharp

Is the word they are talking about the N word?
'tis , it is rap , im out of touch on this however I thought the BBC had spelled Snoop wrong :rolleyes:

Betson

'tis , it is rap , im out of touch on this however I thought the BBC had spelled Snoop wrong :rolleyes:
So if someone posted up the lyrics of say Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello, then in the UK they could be charged with a hate crime.

And remember this women posted the lyrics of that rap song to a private Instagram account, it just seems so crazy.

Mercurial

I think that a lot of these cases are hyped up by people with an agenda, but this case seems absolutely insane, the notion that she was prosecuted, let alone convicted, is mind-boggling.
Nine times out of ten that means that there's something the story isn't telling you, or that the facts of the case are being misrepresented.

Betson

Nine times out of ten that means that there's something the story isn't telling you, or that the facts of the case are being misrepresented.
If the story is as printed , would even you agree that it is an insane conviction?

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
I'm well able to interpret the media for myself, thanks.

This report is from the BBC, who are open to being sued if they misrepresented the case, or even just omit significant mitigating facts, so I'm willing to believe that they represented things correctly, unless you have evidence otherwise.

New Threads

Most Replies