Haughey|Gregory Has Done the Stage Some Service!

Bea C

On Thursday I was at a play that has gotten a little coverage recently, but alas it only ran for three nights.
Firstly, I heard of this in early December, when Maureen O'Sullivan mentioned it in a tweet. It was sold-out at that stage, but by sheer chance on my contacting the theatre company, Fishamble, to ask would they be touring, the Abbey released a few more tickets, so I managed to get myself in.
I have little to do with theatre, so much so that prior to this I did not even realise that the Peacock actually is in the Abbey! And whilst I arrived obviously expecting it to be the lesser of the two, I was surprised by the size of it - it's not half the capacity of Siamsa here in Tralee, which was brilliant!

Written by Colin Murphy, it's a play based around the 1982 agreement between Charles Haughey and Tony Gregory.
The stage is based around two desks.
And the cast of five plays countless characters, from Mrs. Martin O'Donoghue to Tomas Mac Giolla.
Anyway, the pace of the ninety minutes (no interval) must exhaust the incredible actors, but it delights the audience. The wit is razor-sharp, with barbed references to subsequent and current events and circumstances featuring throughout (and the fact I had a number of current members of Cabinet sitting not too far away made these lines all the more smirk-inducing :cool: ). An example would be CJ's first visit to the office, and on a quick glance at the general proposals produced, asks with complete contempt 'what Fianna Fail Taoiseach would ever nationalise the f**king banks!'.
It might sound a tad hare-brained initially, but it is so smoothly constructed that everything fits perfectly into place.
Hopefully it'll tour, it has to expand, but I just feel kind of blessed to have been at the opening night of something so brilliant and in so intimate a venue that is little bigger than the average sitting room.
Good luck, guys!

https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on/haugheygregory/

Haughey|Gregory by Colin Murphy - Fishamble: The New Play Company

asset test

Sadly they are both deceased now.

But it was a pact with the devil, and it did not achieve much really. RIP to both, just being pragmatic here, they were similar, one without power but thought he would gain it, and one with power who thought he would keep it.

Death the leveller.

Spirit Of Newgrange

and only one of them is fondly remembered and now described as a hero

Bea C

Sadly they are both deceased now.

But it was a pact with the devil, and it did not achieve much really. RIP to both, just being pragmatic here, they were similar, one without power but thought he would gain it, and one with power who thought he would keep it.

Death the leveller.
A line I use in my thesis is one coined by John Healy on the death of Donogh O'Malley:
'We always found he was larger than life, and now we will find he is larger than death'.

(I dunno if I've that one hundred per cent verbatim, but you get the picture!)

GDPR

This sounds a really interesting "problem" play.

Basically how someone makes a choice not to deal with someone he believes shares his values but with someone who can and will deliver on the deal, although his motivations for doing so are entirely venal.

Great drama!

RodShaft

On Thursday I was at a play that has gotten a little coverage recently, but alas it only ran for three nights.
Firstly, I heard of this in early December, when Maureen O'Sullivan mentioned it in a tweet. It was sold-out at that stage, but by sheer chance on my contacting the theatre company, Fishamble, to ask would they be touring, the Abbey released a few more tickets, so I managed to get myself in.
I have little to do with theatre, so much so that prior to this I did not even realise that the Peacock actually is in the Abbey! And whilst I arrived obviously expecting it to be the lesser of the two, I was surprised by the size of it - it's not half the capacity of Siamsa here in Tralee, which was brilliant!

Written by Colin Murphy, it's a play based around the 1982 agreement between Charles Haughey and Tony Gregory.
The stage is based around two desks.
And the cast of five plays countless characters, from Mrs. Martin O'Donoghue to Tomas Mac Giolla.
Anyway, the pace of the ninety minutes (no interval) must exhaust the incredible actors, but it delights the audience. The wit is razor-sharp, with barbed references to subsequent and current events and circumstances featuring throughout (and the fact I had a number of current members of Cabinet sitting not too far away made these lines all the more smirk-inducing :cool: ). An example would be CJ's first visit to the office, and on a quick glance at the general proposals produced, asks with complete contempt 'what Fianna Fail Taoiseach would ever nationalise the f**king banks!'.
It might sound a tad hare-brained initially, but it is so smoothly constructed that everything fits perfectly into place.
Hopefully it'll tour, it has to expand, but I just feel kind of blessed to have been at the opening night of something so brilliant and in so intimate a venue that is little bigger than the average sitting room.
Good luck, guys!

https://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats-on/haugheygregory/

Haughey|Gregory by Colin Murphy - Fishamble: The New Play Company
Sad to say I remember it as it happened. The breathless waiting as to who would do the deal. In reality there was always only one winner of that race as Garrett the Good was too far up his own arse to soil himself with a grubby little matter like negotiation...

Bea C

Sad to say I remember it as it happened. The breathless waiting as to who would do the deal. In reality there was always only one winner of that race as Garrett the Good was too far up his own arse to soil himself with a grubby little matter like negotiation...
Only one was the Joey's Boy!

eoghanacht

Ireland's Robin Hood, that's the punch line, a robbing hood dressed in Charvet shirts whose buttons cost more than the average take home pay of the FF yokels who worship him..

Who played his mistress?

eoghanacht

This sounds a really interesting "problem" play.

Basically how someone makes a choice not to deal with someone he believes shares his values but with someone who can and will deliver on the deal, although his motivations for doing so are entirely venal.

Great drama!
Everything that's wrong with Ireland.

Events sixty years after "independence" and to this day we are still ring kissing the hand of the laird, pure Stockholm syndrome.

Pixieland, where psychopaths are eulogised.

asset test

At the end of the day there is the Docklands and the IFSC and money making ad infinitum.

On the other side there is gangland killings and the same social housing divide.

Probably 500metres between them.

GDPR

Everything that's wrong with Ireland.

Events sixty years after "independence" and to this day we are still ring kissing the hand of the laird, pure Stockholm syndrome.

Pixieland, where psychopaths are eulogised.
OP didnt really address the POV of the author. I have no idea who is eulogised if anyone.

It sounds like it might be an imitation of the British hot-take docu- dramas, "The Deal", "The Queen", "Frost/Nixon" etc.

I wouldnt expect it to be up there with "A Patriot For Me". petunia

Killerbank

Tony Gregory was just a Healy-Rea of the inner city doing constituency "deals" with a crooked Fianna Fail politician.

General Urko

Bea, many thanks for the review, I hope it travels.

A few years ago I saw John Breen's (of Alone It Stands fame) work about Haughey, called 'Haughey' -Tthe former Irish Taoiseach, visits a small farmer in County Mayo on his way from launching what was to become the Céide Fields project. As the two men talk, Haughey’s remarkable rise and fall is acted out in flashback around them.

Apart from the RTE Drama on Haughey and a documentary or 2, it's a pity RTE don't use his story more and indeed other stories from recent politics.

How long will we have to wait for The Irish West Wing?

Peter Cunningham has a work of faction on the arms trial which may have been optioned

There was also a recent enough drama on the arms trial.

General Urko

Was the deal ever really implemented or did events overtake it?
Well it cemented Gregory's Position as a TD and a damn fine one he was!

RodShaft

Bea C

Was the deal ever really implemented or did events overtake it?
Well it cemented Gregory's Position as a TD and a damn fine one he was!
Ah a few things did happen alright, the ball was set rolling (a bit).
Of course that gov went splat in November, though.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies